Four person bluegrassy / Americana band - L1™ Model II and T1 ToneMatch™ Audio Engine

New discussion moved from Traditional Music System Test Results because this relates to the L1™ Model II and T1™. The discussion (thread) from which these posts were moved was very specific to the Classic/Model I.

I’m in a four person bluegrassy/Americana band and we’ve now completed 5 gigs with our Model II system with the LI Tone Match.

I followed this thread before purchasing ended up with the following setup

Two of us play multiple instruments and we wanted to try to get by with one system, playing in accoustic oriented pubs and such.

We bough two Apex 415 Large diaphram mics. They sound fantastic and are inexpensive. Two people can sing into one mic just fine. I can also play mando at times and sing in the same mic which is great. The secret on getting the volume up without feedback was the switch the -10db switch on the reduce the sensitivity. Also having the mics at a 90 to the stick, set on cardiod facing right and left, with the stick in the middle. We are able to play setting mics up six 5-6 feet on each side of the stick and four feet in front as space in limited where we play. Two singers share one and the third is solo. We set our stand up base player next to stick against the wall

Base Model II
B M2

<Apex415 Apex415>
We added LR Baggs pickups put into two accoustic guitars and jack them into ports 4 and 5. These are great pickups because they have a volume adjuster just out of site on the top of the sound hole. Highly recommended since we share the same line input. We use the steel string preset and my Martin D-35 sounds so natural its like just playing loud, but not killing the strings.

We use line 1 and 2 for the Apex mics which take phantom power. Still messing around with presets for this.

That leaves one more mic line to port 3, which we use under the Apex mic on a boom at instrument level to pick up our un-jacked Banjo/Mando/Guitar/fiddle player (I’m still trying to find an instrument the guy can’t play) We use an sm57 for that instrument pickup.

Our base was OK not be plugged in for the first gigs, but needed more. So with only five ports, he just got his base jacked up and he carries a small high quality bass amp which sounds great and gives him all he needs and more.

We struggled with volume our fist gig because the crowd was talking so loud. Feedback killed us. But the -10db switch on the Apex mics solved that instantly and making sure they are not pointing to the stick.

So we pulled it off. Four people playing with one system (plus a bass amp) and it works really nicely. Couldn’t be happier!

Ben

Thanks for the report ‘Bendover’! Some good “tips” in your first posting here.

As you learn more, please keep us updated!

Hi Ben

It looks like you were trying to show us this:

Base Model II
B M2

<Apex415 Apex415>

Multiple spaces are ignored in HTML unless you enclose them in tags like this

[code]

[
/code]

You have to remove the * (asterisks) from the tags for them to be functional.

Back to the post…

I am glad that you had such a good result.

How large was the venue where you were performing?

Bendover,
It sounds like you’ve come up with a really interesting solution to the problem of feedback with large diaphragm mics. Could you post some pictures of the band performing, taken from the audience? I’m curious about the 5 to 6 foot space between the mics and how everything looks.

When we were testing our solution with two L1s, we found that placing the mics in the “shadow” between the front and rear soundfields helped improve gain before feedback. Odd as it sounds, putting the L1 directly between the mics might give you even more headroom if you need it, for example to play larger or noisier rooms.

Like ST, I’m also curious how big the room was. If you’ve got a dB meter, could you measure the sound level out in the audience? I know I’m asking a lot, but it’ll give the best idea of the potential of your setup.

Thanks,
Rich

Bendover

I’m dyin ova here. I love your name (or whatever they call it on the internet).

So is it really “Benjamin Dover”?

Cliff;

My first name is Ben and “Dover” was a nickname I lived with all thru college. Matter of fact of met another Ben once with the same nickname! Anyhow last name is Davis for the record. Ken asked me to change the name so I did… some found it offensive. First I’ve ever heard that! What ever… accoustic musicians are a sensative bunch!

Rich: I do have a DB meter. I’ll try to check it out this Friday.

1. The place is fairly small (1500 sf of seating) BUT gets damn loud when customers talk and laugh ect. Wood floors, glass, and sheetrock walls in a nice turn of the century house converted to Pub.
2. I will try to get photo of us playing
3. ST got the layout correct. Thanks!
4. Remember, each Apex 415 points right and left away from speaker. Maybe 10 degrees towards back wall from 90 so singers can face crowd a bit. This forces singers to look at each other (nice for communication on breaks and singing harmonies, but not the best for crowd contact), But as the main singer, I’m learning to eye 1/2 the crowd I face, with the other singer opposite eyeing the other. So we get them covered!
5. I play mando and guitar. Mando not jacked, but Apex 415 picks it up OK while I sing into the same mic, especially tightening my strap up a bit and me being 6’8".
6. Bass has jack and own amp
7. Unjacked player plays many stringed instruments depending on song sings into Apex 415 and plays into sm57. (the 415 pick ups some too with the warmer sound it gives)

Even with all this going into the system, I would never discribe it as "muddied"

I’ll try the sketcher?

Ben

quote:
Ken asked me to change the name so I did...accoustic musicians are a sensative bunch!

Hi Ben,

First of all, thanks very much for changing your name. I really appreciate the sensitivity you're showing. It's cool.

Second, there's LOTS of electric players here too!!!

Ken

I’m with Cliff… I think “Bendover” is absolutely hilarious!

Rich/ Anyone;

I have a photo but it says its too big! 4 megapixel.

Do I add as an attachment?

Dover