L1 model ll: power stand - ANALOG INPUT

Hi guys, I just received my two new model ll's as a trade up from my two Classic model 1's. On my classic systems I always used an XLR cable (male/female XLR connectors) from my mixer output(s) to the input channel on my Classic power stand. I seemed to have a hotter signal using an XLR vs a TS 1/4 inch. I generally ran the Classic systems on a 3 setting for the input trim and had plenty of volume.

Since the new model ll's only have a TS/TRS input jack, I purchased an XLR to TRS connector for connecting my XLR mixer out to the XLR/TRS connector and planned to plug the TRS 1/4" into each power stand input jack on the new model ll's. 

Coupla questions:

1. Running the new model ll's in the above configuration (using the XLR to TRS connector) should yield approximately the same volume results as when I used only an XLR cable for the Classic systems....correct ? 

2. Using a TRS connection (NOT TS) into the power stand is the preferred method....correct ? Per the specs, that seems to provide more of a pro audio signal path (higher DB), than using a TS input cable/connector ?

3. Using the XLR to TRS connector should also provide better benefit in noise cancellation/rejection than using a TS connection....correct ?

4. Last question on this topic: Can you help me understand the Bose engineering logic behind only providing a TS/TRS connection on the model ll power stand ? Why didn't you provide a combination XLR/TRS/TS input jack for the power stand input (as was the case on the Classic model l) ?

Thank you very much for your time as I just want to use my new model ll systems in a professional and proper setup. BTW, I use high-end mixers that all have XLR main L/R outputs. A couple of them may additionally have 1/4" outputs, but I always use the XLR outs.

Bose, are you able to reply on theses questions please ?

Hello MLB,

I'm sorry no one has replied to your before this. Let me see if I can help.

MLB posted:

Hi guys, I just received my two new model ll's as a trade up from my two Classic model 1's. On my classic systems I always used an XLR cable (male/female XLR connectors) from my mixer output(s) to the input channel on my Classic power stand. I seemed to have a hotter signal using an XLR vs a TS 1/4 inch. I generally ran the Classic systems on a 3 setting for the input trim and had plenty of volume.

Congratulations on getting your new L1® Model II systems. Thank you for the background information.

Since the new model ll's only have a TS/TRS input jack, I purchased an XLR to TRS connector for connecting my XLR mixer out to the XLR/TRS connector and planned to plug the TRS 1/4" into each power stand input jack on the new model ll's. 

Coupla questions:

1. Running the new model ll's in the above configuration (using the XLR to TRS connector) should yield approximately the same volume results as when I used only an XLR cable for the Classic systems....correct ? 

Yes, however the gain staging on the Model II Power Stand Analog input is different than the L1® Classic. You may have the set te Analog Input trim higher or lower than you did on the L1® Classic. 

2. Using a TRS connection (NOT TS) into the power stand is the preferred method....correct ? Per the specs, that seems to provide more of a pro audio signal path (higher DB), than using a TS input cable/connector ?

Yes.

3. Using the XLR to TRS connector should also provide better benefit in noise cancellation/rejection than using a TS connection....correct ?

Yes.

4. Last question on this topic: Can you help me understand the Bose engineering logic behind only providing a TS/TRS connection on the model ll power stand ? Why didn't you provide a combination XLR/TRS/TS input jack for the power stand input (as was the case on the Classic model l) ?

Why 1/4 inch Tip-Ring-Sleeve  

The L1® Model II Power Stand Analog input is engineered as input for a second T1 ToneMatch® mixer, a line-level input (e.g. keyboard), or instrument (e.g. electric bass). It also supports balanced mono inputs from a mixer. 

Why not XLR 1/4 Inch Combo

The Model II Power Stand does not have a microphone preamp. People might have expected to connect a microphone directly to a combo jack.  In all the Bose Portable products that were released after the L1® Model II and Model 1S, we have used combo jacks, and those support microphones as well as line-level inputs. 

Thank you very much for your time as I just want to use my new model ll systems in a professional and proper setup. BTW, I use high-end mixers that all have XLR main L/R outputs. A couple of them may additionally have 1/4" outputs, but I always use the XLR outs.

If your mixer has 1/4 inch balanced outputs (Tip-Ring-Sleeve) these are just as robust as XLR outputs.  The Bose ToneMatch mixers have 1/4 inch balanced outputs.

I hope that helps.

Bose Pro Community Admin 

Reminder to the Bose Portable PA Community

The Ask Bose For Help forum is for exchanges between a discussion initiator and Bose service people. Please do not post replies.

For more information about the Ask Bose for Help Forum, please see: Community help on Ask Bose for Help Forum

Thank you.