Sleepbuds II - Ear tip fit

I have seen at least one person on this site plugging Amazfit Zenbuds as an alternative. I am not yet sure if I have reached the point where I will return mine but might consider trying these.

In the end it's a big disappointment because I had the 1st gen sleepbuds and found them very comfortable. 

Someone else mentioned it already, but I would also recommend a pillow with a hole for this problem. Their pricy but means you can wear earplugs/sleepbuds/earphones etc...

Like many of you I had the first generation.  In fact I had 3 sets of them.  The first and second set stopped connecting/battery issues and the 3rd set had the magnet that connects to the charger fall off (at first I thought it may have been in my ear but I found it stuck to the charger).

Bose was great and sent me the 2nd gen.  This fixes the annoying rubbing I had, especially on a silk pillow, but they are painful when sleeping on the side.  I shall try the first gen covers, I think the issue is that they are now not as thick, but they have gone from small round to larger oval shaped.  

Thanks to the others for their suggestions.  Regards

I am persevering with these as I have no other options, they drown out my partner's snoring with restful sounds and are comfortable to wear... until you turn over in your sleep. 

I understand that other people have tried sticking that surgical tape you get in first aid kits on to their ears to stop the charging points digging into their flesh. I will have to try that. In the meantime, I just look at those three little sharp bits of metal, and the ridge for the magnet that are jammed right into your skin as soon as you press them against the pillow, and think how on earth did that even get past the ideas stage of product design? Why aren't they on the outside?? 

It would be nice if Bose just offered some additional silicone covers for these where they are covered. I would far rather pop them out of the cover to charge than have them digging in to my skin all night to save me a 4 second job in the morning.

Ok I have moved up to the largest size, which was painful before, and really tried to mould it into my ears. Seems to have helped. I had to adjust them once when I woke up and the metal bit was jamming into my ear, but better than before. Think I'll bite the bullet and try and modify them with some adhesive tape or something.

Add me to the list of those who find these Sleepbuds terribly uncomfortable. I received them as a gift (at my request) for Christmas. I have been trying every night since then to figure out a way to make them comfortable. I came here to see if anyone had figured out a way to do so. I’m disappointed to find that nobody seems to have but am determined to figure something out. Even though they hurt and I wake many times a night because of it, it’s far better than listening to my husband and dog snoring. 

I never owned the first version of these, so cannot compare on comfort.

I really agonized over getting the Sleepbuds. At $329CDN, it's pricey for an uber-niche product. At this price, it had better be perfect—or darned close. If it weren't for the 90 day trial I never would have picked these up.

I had no complaints on the overall package. The charging case, the way the buds click in, the app experience were all good. I never had a disconnect or other software issue.

However ...

I also found these not very comfortable. About halfway through the night, I could feel them enough that it actually made sleeping more difficult. In the morning, I could still feel them in my ears even hours after removing them. I would describe this as similar to the feeling after wearing foam earplugs—which I dislike. It didn't seem to have anything to do with the StayHears, just the shape of the actual bud. Side sleeping just made it worse.

My right ear was in-between sizes for the StayHears. Bose needs to include more tips. Even Anker is providing 8 or 9 tips with some of their headphones.

Comfort issues aside, there are a few other things which fall under what I call the "Complicated Solution Enhancer".

Bose calls it "Noise Masking". To me, it's basically a set of regular ear buds where the sound just covers up any outside noise. I found these to not mask very well. I could hear my partner snore (and she's not very loud), the airplanes, traffic, etc ... I had to bump up the volume above their 'warning' limit.

I have a pair of JVC Secure Fits (HA-EC10-B). They have the curved rubbery bit that goes behind your ears. Yes—they do stick out a bit, but nothing dramatic. They won't fall out overnight. They don't sound quite as immersive as the Sleepbuds, but they are close-ish. Nothing to charge, update or fuss with. Cost? $17CDN.

Ironically, I think the biggest competitor to the Sleepbuds is another Bose product—the QC20. I've been using these for years, and wear them through the night. Granted, side sleeping can be an issue, but I've found a way to position my head so they don't press into my ears. I have an app on my iPhone that plays pink noise. My GF made a nifty felt pouch that holds my phone on the headboard.

I've processed my return to Bose, which was a PITA as their only store in the Toronto area is now closed. The return had to be manually processed through their US office, and I'll be mailed a refund cheque ... how 1990s.

I found that the least uncomfortable option for me is a large in one ear and a medium in the other. I don't know if this will work for you, but I found it important to not press them in too far, and angle the earbud so that the pointy tip of the wingtip is angled right at the top of the groove in my ear that it's designed for. That means that is on a slight slant to the ground. Just place them at the right angle and then gently tuck the wingtip in.

I did this last night and I only woke up once having to adjust  them to pain. Really, for £230 thy should feel like feathers in your ears, but there's no better solution for the moment.

Hey guys,

I too have the same problem, but I believe I found the solution! This worked for me as I’m a side /tummy sleeper. I think the problem for me is that the part that goes into your ear canal is too flared out.  This will require a bit of modding but it’s easy! I’ve attached a picture to explain. All you need is a pair of silicone ear buds from another pair of in-ear earbuds. I you have a separate pair of in-ear headphones that you already use, even better! They should come with spare buds. Find the closest bose style ear buds that fit, and with an exacto knife or scissors, cut off the earbud tip (the part that goes in your ear canal)  off

as close to the base of the flared tip as possible. Then fit everything back together. Hope this helps!

75691482-AE99-4DB3-9C02-1C0F698153B0.jpeg

What helped me, is turning the buds slightly towards the back of my head. They will fit better in your ear.

Try turning them upside down  then you don t have the hard piece digging in your ear 

Try turning them upside down. Then the hard part doesn't press on the ear

Try putting in upside down. Then the hard part isn't rubbing the ear 

Turn them upside down then they don't rub the inside of the ear 

Try wearing them upside-down then they don't rub on the ear. 

Try using them upside down then they won't rub on the ears 

Try using them upside down then the metal piece doesn't rub on the inside of your ear

Try using them upside down this way the middle piece won't press on your ear

I tried many different pillows for side sleepers for a different issue but this one may help for ear pain:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NCDSINI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hi- I just recently bought the Bose Sleepbuds II and have a love-hate relationship with them. I love that they have noise cancelling sounds and block out my very-loud snoring partner but I hate that they cause sores to develop on my left ear.  I have even tried wrapping them with tissue.... To no avail they still cause sores on my left ear.... I don't know why.   I don't think that I'm putting the in incorrectly because I don't have the same issue with my right ear.  I have had to stop using them for a few nights in a row because the sores on my left ear hurt so bad.  My partner snore like a freight train so I only pray that I fall asleep before he does.  I don't want to switch my pillow out for a pillow with a hole... I love my pillow and am a side sleeper.  I covet my sleep so any suggestions on what has worked for you to help you love your Bose Sleepbuds II again would be greatly appreciated.   On a side note, this problem appears to be an ongoing issue from other forums that I've read since 2018!  Signed, Love2Sleep