Steerable Array

Hi Uncle John,

Just wanted to touch on your thoughts about negatives when comparing the MSA 12X to a portable L1 system Like the L1s.

The L1s is portable, meaning it is designed to go where you go, it is a complete system designed to be used with common sound equipment accessories, cabling, etc.

The MSA 12 X is designed for permanent install. The features that set it apart from the more portable L1 series also require a different level of working knowledge in order to take advantage of those features. If I understand your intention of using the MSA 12X on a portable stand I would guess a Model II or 1s might serve you better.

O..

Thanks for your comment . Sorry about the delay in replying. Because the differences in the input impedance are so great ( 800 kohm versus 20 kohm ) I figure I'll need an audio transformer if I'm going to use the line-level output of the L1 Compact. 

Hi , As you correctly pointed out the L1 range is designed to be portable whilst the MSA 12X is not.
The problem with using the L1 Model 1S and the L1 Model II for in applications I am considering (ie. level floor with raised stage) is that in order to get reasonable coverage you would have to tilt the array.
However, tilting the array results in increased sound levels along the centre line and decreased levels to the left and right of the centrally located array (recall that I have a specific application in mind).
Viewers that are interested can see the difference tilting has on mapped levels here:  https://community.bose.com/t5/Professional-Installed/L1-Model-1S-versus-Panaray-MSA12X/m-p/526537/highlight/true#M6933 
Anyway, I figure Bose will have little interest in manufacturing an L1 with a Steerable Array because of the extra software setting adjustments needed. so I've decided to design a suitable pedestal on which to mount an MSA 12X myself. I'll be happy to share my design here when it's complete. 

Hi Uncle John,

I've been debating with myself whether or not I'm smart enough to reply, and I'm not, but I will anyway.

I'm not familiar with the modeler software, though I understand it is very useful for permanent installs and big systems in large spaces. As for its practicality for coverage comparison of two similar but different speakers, I don't know.

I think first one has to understand the difference between the L1s and the MSA12X beyond the steerable feature.

The L1s is designed to be used with a bass module. While the MSA12X when used for spoken word or light duty music does not require a bass module.

Your modeler comparison of the MA12 to the MSA12X I doubt gives a true representation of what a L1s might do in the same space, in normal use.

I have been been using the portable line arrays since shortly after their introduction. Inside, outside, big and small spaces, bar rooms, Churches, living rooms, banquet halls. There have been times that I tilted the L1, both up and down without negative impact.

All of the L1 series have some variance in sound from side to side, it's the nature of the beast, but all of them are far and away better than a conventional point source speaker. If you move around in the sound field, a critical ear will hear subtle change from center to side, but if you are seated within the sound field the difference between center and left or right is not critical to the listening experience.

The MA12 was available with a mounting bracket that permitted it to be hung on a typical tripod based speaker stand. The MSA12X being more complex, I don't know if that feature is available.

For my time and money I would try a Model II or Model 1s before committing to the additional complexity of the MSA12X.

Wish you luck with your endeavor. Let us know your final choice and how it works out for you.

O..

, Thanks as always for your comment. A little while after you made your comment, Bose Bose unveiled a new L1 Pro Portable Line Array Family. (Light Sound Journal).
I note that the L1 Pro16 is designed to work well on "an elevated stage" without the need to tilt the array in the way you have described.
However, I still want to take things to the next level so I fabricated the pole-mounting assembly for the MSA 12X as shown in the photo attached.