Acoustimass 4 vs lifestyle 550

Greetings guys

I have the opportunity to get an  acoustimass or lifestyle 550.

I searched the differences about these systems but i have not been able to find that information.

Can someone help me understand with which system i would be better with.

Regards,

wrote:

Greetings guys

I have the opportunity to get an  acoustimass or lifestyle 550.

I searched the differences about these systems but i have not been able to find that information.

Can someone help me understand with which system i would be better with.

Regards,

An Acoustimass 4 is a 3 speaker system with a passive subwoofer that (according to the manual) came out in 1995. It requires a receiver to power it, will need extra rear speakers, and a powered subwoofer to get a full 5.1 experience. 

The Lifestyle 550 is a current system (it looks like in EU countries but not the USA) that came out in 2018. It includes all 5 speakers, a wireless powered subwoofer, and a Bose made 4K receiver designed specifically for that system.

If you are getting these two items for free, I would say that you should go for the Lifestyle 550.

Thanks a lot for the explanation ! 

I wish i would be getting them for free 😁 I can get the acoustimass with a big discount hence the question.

The acoustimass that i am getting has the extra rear speakers, receiver and subwoofer. Is it the same as the lifestyle or is the lifestyle still a better system?

That question is like asking "Is this car from brand X better than a car from brand X (AM4) with an unknown engine (Amplifier from unknown brand), and wheels from another car (Rears and sub that were not designed to connect to the AM4)?  There's no way of knowing.

All I can really say is that Bose systems are designed to run as is.  So using a 3.1 speaker system as the fronts are not recommended.  It relies on how good the amp is at controlling everything, particularly since you get bass through the 3.1 system as well as the seperate subwoofer you're looking at.  Bose systems are designed that you (generally) hear the bass from all the speakers, so having that from the fronts, but no the rears as well as not being able to balance the 2nd sub, I think it will sound messy.  This is different from getting a 5.1 Acoustimass and using a 3rd party amp, which is meant to run that way.

To be honest considering you're looking at a 26 year old "frankensystem" Vs a 3 year old out of the box system...I'd take the Lifestyle.