Auditioner WAV File Compatability

I produced WAV files from Modeler when doing auralizations. The WAV files will playback on the computer that the files were produced on, but not on other computers when using Windows Media Player. I get an error message that says

“Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might now support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file.”

One person was able to open it in Sound Forge but not Windows Media Player. Any ideas?

Hi Phil,

Re: “…I hit the “record” button, it records a WAV file, but when I play that file in iTunes or QuickTime, the level is so far down …”

“I repeated this exercise with the model. Listened to the filter through Modeler/Auditioner then using Windows Media Player and the Auditioner Playback unit. The level from Windows Media Player was lower. I then used the Calibration Tone in Mod/Aud and noted a level of 85 dB. When played back through Windows Media Player the level was 80 dB on the Aud. PB unit’s SPL Meter.

Any Ideas?”

= = = = = = = = = = =

I may be wrong, but isn’t 5dB the approximate offset between listening to processed Auditioner Playback III filters and Demonstration Broadcast EQ? If you toggle between both types, the playback with the Auditioner processing (which includes some head transfer function magic - i.e. L-R and R-L in the respective L & R channels) does not seem as loud. I haven’t tried this, but perhaps selecting Demonstration Broadcast EQ before recording wave files would work as anticipated with non-Auditioner playback systems.

Best regards,

Dave

Hi Vance,

thanks for the notice.

This sounds new to me. Although I’m primarily using .wav files generated by Modeler on my own PC (and also, I’m using iTunes), I regularly encounter situations where playback is performed on other computers. For example, I’m using lots of files generated with PC’s (and Modeler versions) used in the past and I regularly need to utilize other computers at conferences.

And for the record: There’s no special file format we use or any “compression” applied. The .wav file is a standard, 16-bit, 44.1 kHz stereo recording. I can also play “old” files in my recent Windows Media Player (version 10.00 something on XP SP3).

Best,

Thomas

Hi Vance,

This seems new - I have not heard about this or experienced this before…

Maybe Thomas has some insight…

On a related note:
I received the following email.

When I used Auditioner, everything sounds like I would expect it to sound, and the levels are fairly hot. So I hit the “record” button, it records a WAV file, but when I play that file in iTunes or QuickTime, the level is so far down I can barely hear it. It’s a little bit louder in Sound Forge, but still what it should be.

I repeated this exercise with the model. Listened to the filter through Modeler/Auditioner then using Windows Media Player and the Auditioner Playback unit. The level from Windows Media Player was lower. I then used the Calibration Tone in Mod/Aud and noted a level of 85 dB. When played back through Windows Media Player the level was 80 dB on the Aud. PB unit’s SPL Meter.

Any Ideas?

Phil