Aux In channels on the T8S question

Hi ST,

Just after a wee bit helping understanding the intricacies of using the Aux In channel(s) with a T1 Tonematch.

I have a gig on Friday - and it will be in a packed pub with not too much time to set up all our gear (there is a lot !).

There are only 3 of us so don’t panic when you see what we are plugging into our Bose L1mk2 plus two B1’s. Depending on space, I may add in a powered PA speaker or two (Yamaha DXR12’s), but adding those in or not doesn’t cause me much confusion, although I know the more speakers I add, there will be more potential for feedback !

So, the question relates to adding my bandmate’s T1 to my T8S.

I’m a bit confused if the two Aux In channels are independant of Ch 7&8, or not.

I was planning to connect my Roland RD800 e.piano into Ch 7&8, for stereo (assuming I end up using two speakers to get stereo).

I was then looking at connecting my older bandmate, Allan’s T1 to Aux 1 or 2.

Trying to find a volume control for that Aux channel, I found in the Pan/Aux section of the rotary dial, an option to route Aux 1&2 to Ch 7&8, and this gave a volume control each for Aux 1 & 2.

Will I overload Ch8 with my Piano (Right side of stereo) and the signal from Allan’s T1 ??

Perhaps I got this all wrong ! Perhaps I should NOT choose to route Aux 1&2 to Ch 7&8 ?

If I don’t do that, is there a volume control for the Aux 1 channel, if I plug his T1 into it Aux 1, or will the T1’s Master Volume be the only volume control, and the T8S’ Master volume control.

Bit unsure the best way to set it up. This is what I thought I was going to do, until I got confused !

Will the suggested set-up below work fine, or will Ch 8 (R side of piano) & Aux 1 be muddied by this ?

I will use Ch1-3 for :

Ch1 : Vocal mic (Shure SM58)

Ch2 : Acoustic guitar with Piezo (for National resonator guitars)

Ch3 : Electric guitar (mic’d up with SM57)

I was hoping to leave Ch4-6 for our new younger bandmate, Thomas. He will use them as follows :

Ch4 : Vocal & Harmonica (acoustic) mic (Shure SM57)

Ch5 : Acoustic guitar with Piezo (for National resonator guitar)

Ch6 : E. Guitar amp for amplified harmonica (mic’d up with Shure SM57)

Ch7&8 : E.piano in Stereo (both Thomas and I will take turns playing this)

Aux 1 : Allan’s T1 Tonematch mixer (using 3 channels for vocal mic, and 2 acoustic guitar channels)

Thanks for your help, in advance - and I hope it all makes sense !!!

Hi SnakeHips,

Let me jump to the heart of your question.

snakehips posted:
? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ?

So, the question relates to adding my bandmate’s T1 to my T8S.

I’m a bit confused if the two Aux In channels are independant of Ch 7&8, or not.

Independent.

I was planning to connect my Roland RD800 e.piano into Ch 7&8, for stereo (assuming I end up using two speakers to get stereo).

I was then looking at connecting my older bandmate, Allan’s T1 to Aux 1 or 2.

Trying to find a volume control for that Aux channel, I found in the Pan/Aux section of the rotary dial, an option to route Aux 1&2 to Ch 7&8, and this gave a volume control each for Aux 1 & 2.

Despite how it looks

• You cannot route Aux Input 9/10 into a channel (1 through 😎
  • Access to Level and Pan controls for Aux Inputs 9 & 10 is visible regardless of which CH Edit button is active
  • If you press the CH Edit button for other channels you'll still have access to the Level and Pan controls for Aux 9 & 10

Will I overload Ch8 with my Piano (Right side of stereo) and the signal from Allan’s T1 ??

No, this shouldn't be a problem.

Perhaps I got this all wrong ! Perhaps I should NOT choose to route Aux 1&2 to Ch 7&8 ?

If I don’t do that, is there a volume control for the Aux 1 channel, if I plug his T1 into it Aux 1, or will the T1’s Master Volume be the only volume control, and the T8S’ Master volume control.

Bit unsure the best way to set it up. This is what I thought I was going to do, until I got confused !

Will the suggested set-up below work fine, or will Ch 8 (R side of piano) & Aux 1 be muddied by this ?

I will use Ch1-3 for :

Ch1 : Vocal mic (Shure SM58)

Ch2 : Acoustic guitar with Piezo (for National resonator guitars)

Ch3 : Electric guitar (mic’d up with SM57)

I was hoping to leave Ch4-6 for our new younger bandmate, Thomas. He will use them as follows :

Ch4 : Vocal & Harmonica (acoustic) mic (Shure SM57)

Ch5 : Acoustic guitar with Piezo (for National resonator guitar)

Ch6 : E. Guitar amp for amplified harmonica (mic’d up with Shure SM57)

Ch7&8 : E.piano in Stereo (both Thomas and I will take turns playing this)

Aux 9 : Allan’s T1 Tonematch mixer (using 3 channels for vocal mic, and 2 acoustic guitar channels)

Thanks for your help, in advance - and I hope it all makes sense !!!

Better?

ST

Hi Snake Hips,

Please notice - Aux In Level & Pan are visible and accessible regardless of which Channel is selected with the CH Edit button.

Channel 1

Channel 2

Channel 7

Channel 8

Hi ST !

Apologies ! I got mixed up !!

I see my mistake now. i thought Aux In Ch’s 1&2 go to Ch’s 7&8.

I now see they don’t. I see they are actuall Ch’s 9&10.

Your pictures also help me see, that no matter what “Ch Edit” I have highlighted (Ch’s 1-8), I can always check the volume levels of Ch 9&10 (when set to Aux In 1&2), by turning the selector knob to Pan/Aux and select “Aux in 9/10”.

Those volume levels show on the screen on whatever Ch Edit channel I am on.

I hope that sounds like I fully understand now !!

As for gain staging, is there any Master Volume level on the T1 that would suit connecting it to one of the T8S’s Aux In channels, and what suggested level for the Aux In level ?

50% on both ?

Many thanks again for an excellent forum, with lots of expert help. I feel ready to tackle my gig on Friday !! I’m familiar with Bose stuff except the T8S  part, needing more confidence on it - but I think I’m there now. Not worried about it. It’s just there will not be a lot of time to faff around with it, as I’ll have lots of other stuff to set up too.

All the best !

Oh, last question !

I haven’t had time to update the T8S - so it’s still on v1.0.1.

I have never updated the L1mkII components since I got themcirca 9yrs ago, and use two B1’s. Will there be any issues, or should they work together OK ?

Thanks again !!

Last one !

On Prefs, Output Level Preferences, the Main L & Main R levels looked set differently (and same with USB L&R, not that I’ll be using them).

Not sure what the Reset option (pressing the middle, lower screen pot), I pressed it, and all the Output levels now show as down at zero (far left on the virtual sliders).

I’m worried I won’t be able to get a strong signal out of the outputs - so how do I sort that ? Is it just those screen levels are not in synch with the actual Master vol knob level ?

How do I raise them back up individually, so they are both at the same output level ???

Many thanks again !!!!!

Hi SnakeHips,

snakehips posted:

Hi ST !

Apologies ! I got mixed up !!

I see my mistake now. i thought Aux In Ch’s 1&2 go to Ch’s 7&8.

I now see they don’t. I see they are actuall Ch’s 9&10.

Your pictures also help me see, that no matter what “Ch Edit” I have highlighted (Ch’s 1-8), I can always check the volume levels of Ch 9&10 (when set to Aux In 1&2), by turning the selector knob to Pan/Aux and select “Aux in 9/10”.

Those volume levels show on the screen on whatever Ch Edit channel I am on.

I hope that sounds like I fully understand now !!

Yup!

As for gain staging, is there any Master Volume level on the T1 that would suit connecting it to one of the T8S’s Aux In channels, and what suggested level for the Aux In level ?

50% on both ?

I don't have recommendations for these settings. 50% (12:00 o'clock) sounds like a good place to start.

Many thanks again for an excellent forum, with lots of expert help. I feel ready to tackle my gig on Friday !! I’m familiar with Bose stuff except the T8S  part, needing more confidence on it - but I think I’m there now. Not worried about it. It’s just there will not be a lot of time to faff around with it, as I’ll have lots of other stuff to set up too.

All the best !

Happy to help.

ST

Hi SnakeHips,

snakehips posted:

Oh, last question !

I haven’t had time to update the T8S - so it’s still on v1.0.1.

I have never updated the L1mkII components since I got themcirca 9yrs ago, and use two B1’s. Will there be any issues, or should they work together OK ?

Thanks again !!

Please Update the firmare on your T8S. ? follow the link.

This won't affect interoperability with your L1® Model II components but we want your T8S to be up to date.

What version is your Power Stand?

1. Turn the Rotary Selector to Prefs

2. Press the first button

3. Turn the first button until you see Power Stand

4. Press the button
  5. The version is displayed.

The latest versions add support for the B2 Bass Module

The latest Power Stand EQ: 1.0.4
The latest Power Stand Firmware: 1.4

ST

Hi SnakeHips,

snakehips posted:

Last one !

On Prefs, Output Level Preferences, the Main L & Main R levels looked set differently (and same with USB L&R, not that I’ll be using them).

The marks you see in the display indicate the highest levels reached since you last reset the display. You may know this feature as "peak hold".  It's not unusual for these values to be different.

Not sure what the Reset option (pressing the middle, lower screen pot), I pressed it, and all the Output levels now show as down at zero (far left on the virtual sliders).

That's what's supposed to happen. These will come up again when you run sound through the T8S.

I’m worried I won’t be able to get a strong signal out of the outputs - so how do I sort that ? Is it just those screen levels are not in synch with the actual Master vol knob level ?

This shouldn't be a concern.

How do I raise them back up individually, so they are both at the same output level ???

Many thanks again !!!!!

Are we all set now?  Please come back and tell us how you make out.

Thanks,

ST

Hi ST !

Yes, I'm all set now !
I fully understand now - and not daunted about using my new T8S.
I have had some gigs since I bought it but all were ones were there was a full in-house PA and sound guys.
I actually wish I had been able to use my Bose equipment at our last jazz fest gig as the provided PA sounded terrible, and the soundman bullied me into having my e.piano in Mono. I just knew that if I had insisted on stereo, he would have had it in Mono and told me it sounded great !
(An e.piano with L&R summed together sounds rubbish - and worse, than standing at one side of the stage, in stereo, getting mostly one side of of the stereo image - at least there isn't all that phase cancellation - everywhere !).

Many, many thanks again for all your help !!!!!!!!!

What a great forum !!