Av receiver

HELLO,

I AM USING A BOSE LIFESTYLE 38-SERIES IV SYSTEM.CAN I CONNECT A DOLBY ATMOS AV RECEIVER TO MY BOSE LIFESTYLE SYSTEM USING A OPTICAL CABLE?I WANTED TO UPGRADE TO A DOLBY ATMOS SYSTEM,BUT AT THE SAME TIME I DONT WANT TO GO AWAY WITH MY BOSE LIFESTYLE.

THANK YOU

MARTIN

Hi Martin651.

Welcome to the Community! Thank you for your post.

I have looked into this for you. The supported external digital audio formats and sample rates of the LIFESTYLE 38 IV are listed below.

PCM: 8 kHz, 11.025 kHz, 12 kHz, 16 kHz, 22.05 kHz, 24 kHz, 32 kHz, 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz, 88.2 kHz, 96 kHz
Dolby Digital: 32 kHz, 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz
DTS: 32 kHz, 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz, 88.2 kHz, 96 kHz

In saying this, plugging your receiver might not have any effect on the sound output. You can try and let us know how it went.

Marvin, would you post the same information for a Bose Soundtouch 300?  Thanks.

Hello Martin651, thanks for reaching out. 

To answer your question, you will not be able to get the Dolby Atmos effect by connecting your Lifestyle to an AV receiver, as the Lifestyle system does not support Dolby Atmos. 

Also, . The supported external digital audio formats for the SoundTouch 300 soundbar are Dolby Digital and DTS. 

I hope this helps! 

wrote:

I AM USING A BOSE LIFESTYLE 38-SERIES IV SYSTEM.CAN I CONNECT A DOLBY ATMOS AV RECEIVER TO MY BOSE LIFESTYLE SYSTEM USING A OPTICAL CABLE?I WANTED TO UPGRADE TO A DOLBY ATMOS SYSTEM,BUT AT THE SAME TIME I DONT WANT TO GO AWAY WITH MY BOSE LIFESTYLE.

As of the time I write this, no current Bose system accepts Atmos and none of the previous systems will work with it. All it will do is decode the Dolby signal it can recognise and ignore the 3D audio signal entirely.

Please read this guide to better understand how to use your AV38 receiver with modern HD equipment. If your subwoofer is compatible I would look into "Option 4" and purchase an AV35 receiver on eBay. While the AV35 does not support Atmos, ARC, CEC, or 4K. It is the most advanced receiver that can work with the LSPS III subwoofer and includes HDMI inputs that accepts lossless audio.

wrote:

DO U MEAN TO SAY THAT I CANNOT GET A DOLBY ATMOS EFFECT BY CONNECTING THE LIFESTYLE TO A AV RECIEVER OR CAN I GET A ATMOS EFFECT?CAN U PLEASE EXPLAIN IT.THANKS

wrote:

To answer your question, you will not be able to get the Dolby Atmos effect by connecting your Lifestyle to an AV receiver, as the Lifestyle system does not support Dolby Atmos. 

Well if you want an explanation. Atmos requires a receiver that can accept HDMI so an Enhanced or Lossless Dolby Digital signal (Dolby Digital Plus or Dolby TrueHD respectively) & the 3D Audio positioning signal can be sent to it.

Technically normal Dolby signals are called:

Enhanced & Lossless Dolby signals are called:

[MLP stands for "Meridian Lossless Packing"]

Dolby Atmos signals are the same above with the 3D audio added for DD & DTHD:

[JOC stands for "Joint Object Coding"]

• E-AC-3 JOC (Dolby Digital Plus with Dolby Atmos) 
  • MLP FBA 16-ch (Dolby TrueHD with Dolby Atmos)

There is more technical information on dolby.com about this.

So your AV38 receiver does not support HDMI audio and only supports standard Dolby Digital via Digital Coax/Optical. So all the enhanced or lossless audio would be ignored along with the 3D audio information as it does not have the correct decoding chips inside the receiver. Let alone a motherboard that could support those chips or the bandwidth needed for them.

wrote:

Also, . The supported external digital audio formats for the SoundTouch 300 soundbar are Dolby Digital and DTS. 

I hope this helps! 

And it accepts LPCM 5.1 via HDMI, but I believe Xyz987 was asking for everything to be broken down by kHz as you did for the AV38 above

, thank you for adding that additional information and sharing that guide as well.

@Xyz987, due to the nature of how the soundbar operates, it is less particular about what works. As such you don't need to worry about the sample rates of the format, as long as it's using the correct format you will be fine.

I hope this helps! 

So, will the Bose Soundtouch 300 play 24/192 without downsampling?  If not, will it play 24/96?  24/48?  Thanks.

etal 

Connecting any of the Bose Lifestyle or Soundbar systems to an AV receiver is pointless and redundant . You are dealing with completely amplified systems. Both with codec and sound management systems. So you would simply be connecting one to another.

Optical does not have the bandwidth for Atmos or DTS - X. 

At this time the only Bose gear that supports Atmos or DTS - X elevated channels would be the AM10 series with additional ceiling mount speakers connected to a multichannel AV receiver that can handle codecs like Atmos or DTS -X. 

I think the answer will be yes based on Bose’s statements on file types. The trick is getting the Apple HiRes files into your SoundBar as I explained to another member over in the SoundTouch room. Apple requires a physical connection and external DAC to complete the task. Unfortunately the SB300 is limited to Optical and HDMI input as I recall. Airplay or Optical won’t give you the Hi Res performance. I am not aware of a DAC that will meet the connections requirements for HiRes Lossless and provide HDMI connectivity to your SoundBar.

I have found Apple Lossless over Airplay does a pretty good job at least CD file sample sizes.

HELLO..THANK U FOR YOUR REPLY.DO U MEAN TO SAY THAT I CANNOT GET A DOLBY ATMOS EFFECT BY CONNECTING THE LIFESTYLE TO A AV RECIEVER OR CAN I GET A ATMOS EFFECT?CAN U PLEASE EXPLAIN IT.THANKS