AV48 drops audio switching from tv setup as optical input to any other source

Setup: AV48 with vs-2 expander. Vs2 hdmi out to tv, tv optical to AV48 optical input.  cable box hdmi to expander box with analog audio to AV48. Tv selected as optical source in system menu. 

I can switch to Tv to use the smart tv apps with audio and video successfully. 

However, when I switch back to any other source, including AV48 internal sources such as dvd or radio, the audio drops out, seems to stay on optical input. 

I’ve tried several system settings changes such as anynet/hdmi-cec, retain video when switching audio sources, etc. this just seems to be a bug unless I didn’t find the magic option settings combination.

I have only been able to recover by power cycling all parts of the system (AV48, cable box, tv). That’s not an acceptable solution for an expensive system like this. 

I’m also very disappointed the vs2 expander box doesn’t at least support pass through for hdmi audio, but that’s another topic like hdmi-arc...

wrote:

Setup: AV48 with vs-2 expander. Vs2 hdmi out to tv, tv optical to AV48 optical input.  cable box hdmi to expander box with analog audio to AV48. Tv selected as optical source in system menu. 

I can switch to Tv to use the smart tv apps with audio and video successfully. 

However, when I switch back to any other source, including AV48 internal sources such as dvd or radio, the audio drops out, seems to stay on optical input. 

I’ve tried several system settings changes such as anynet/hdmi-cec, retain video when switching audio sources, etc. this just seems to be a bug unless I didn’t find the magic option settings combination.

I have only been able to recover by power cycling all parts of the system (AV48, cable box, tv). That’s not an acceptable solution for an expensive system like this. 

I’m also very disappointed the vs2 expander box doesn’t at least support pass through for hdmi audio, but that’s another topic like hdmi-arc...

I was just talking to someone about the VS-2. It's nice that Bose sold an upgrade kit for their older systems back then, but according to the manual it was released in 2008. HDMI has improved a lot since then.

I would suggest that if your subwoofer is compatible, that you upgrade the receiver. I talk about that here, but if you have a different subwoofer the receiver setup you have is the latest your subwoofer can use.

You might want to see this post no matter what you end up doing. As I show different ways to connect older systems to modern devices & TV's. In that post, I talk about uncompressed audio. Since your current system does not accept HDMI audio you won't have to worry about it.

Thanks for the pointers to some relevant discussions. I’m not ready to give up yet. This seems like a standard setup and settings so I don’t understand how it drops audio on internal functions when I switch back from tv using optical audio. It may be a setting combo I just haven’t tried yet. 

Pretty sure I toggled persistent video and the hdmi options but maybe have to do an off/on cycle or something to see the effect? 

it did seem to lose video sync a time or two through bringing up the menus and switching between functions but generally resolved with just switch to another function and back. 

Ok, I went too far with support of ARC for the age of the system but hdmi audio pass-through on the vs-2 should have been a given. 

wrote:

I am so sorry, I misread what you wrote. There is a chance that your system has not been updated to connect in the VS-2. Give me a few. I'll see what I can find.

wrote:

Thanks for the pointers to some relevant discussions. I’m not ready to give up yet. This seems like a standard setup and settings so I don’t understand how it drops audio on internal functions when I switch back from tv using optical audio. It may be a setting combo I just haven’t tried yet. 

Pretty sure I toggled persistent video and the hdmi options but maybe have to do an off/on cycle or something to see the effect? 

Ok, this is a little long, but TLDR, you might need a firmware update or the system is somehow malfunctioning. 

0 Power Cycle:

Unplug the power from the VS-2 & TV wait a few seconds and plug them back in. A simple solution that quite often works, but one that regularly gets missed.

1 Check Connections:

Ok, so make sure that everything is plugged into the correct place and are not loose. Here is the link to the quick setup guide and here is the link to the manual.

Connecting the VS-2 to your media center
Connect the 4-connector end of the VS-2 cable to your media center:

1. Insert the Serial Data plug into the Serial Data connector.
  2. Insert the DC Power plug into the DC Power connector.
  3. Insert the Composite plug into the Composite Video OUT connector.
  4. Insert the S-Video plug into the S-Video OUT connector.

Connect the other end of the VS-2 cable to the VS-2 end panel:

1. Insert multi-pin plug into the Media Center connector.
  2. Insert the DC Power plug into the DC POWER Out connector.

Connect the media center power supply to the end panel of the VS-2:

1. Insert the DC power cable from the media center power supply into the DC POWER In connector.

2. Ensure your system sees it:

Please check this link and see if your system can view the VS-2. If you cannot next try and see if the system has an option for the VS-2 in the hidden menu.

If everything is connected properly and you cannot see the VS-2 information then you might need an update.

3. Bose Firmware Update

I was unable to discover what update VS-2 support was added, but since (according to the manual) the VS-2 came out in 2008 and the Lifestyle 48 was sold from 2004 to 2009. There is a good chance that is the issue. I did find these two posts that say the most recent updates for the system was:

Software Update Disc - uMusic MD 01.02.01, Console SW 05.01.08

• Function - Version
  • Console - 050108
  • Bass Box - 010800
  • 1802 Drive Firmware - 1B22
  • 1712 Drive Firmware - 1B10
  • VS-2 Firmware - 050018
  • Music Information Version - 010201
  • Tuner - 010300

I would call up Bose and see if they can send you an update disc. I have read comments here that people have been told by Bose that they don't have any more and to check eBay. But the prices for the updates are not reasonable at all.

I would link you to a repository on GitHub that has all the Bose firmware, including the lifestyle updates there. That way you can download and burn it onto a disc, but I am unsure if that is allowed but it should be easy to find.

If you find that everything is connected correctly and you don't need a Bose firmware update, then there is a chance that there is something wrong with the system. you might need to talk to tech support directly and see if they know whats going on. If you do, please get back to us and let us know what was wrong and if there was a solution to this.

wrote:

it did seem to lose video sync a time or two through bringing up the menus and switching between functions but generally resolved with just switch to another function and back. 

Ok, I went too far with support of ARC for the age of the system but hdmi audio pass-through on the vs-2 should have been a given. 

My guess is it's an HDCP issue. You might want to find something that removes HDCP as it is known to cause issues. I would assume that something over a decade old and using an older version of HDCP would have a lot of issues with it. I think the HDMI splitter I mention in the 4K post would work as it might remove HDCP, but it also supports your TV's ARC and has an optical out so that should also help.

Hello , I was just curious what you ended up doing?

Thanks for the details. I didn’t have to do anything, it just started working. I can only assume the system needed a power cycle for the new settings to take full effect. I thought I did a couple cycles with all the fiddling, but maybe not. 
Thanks for the pointers to FW, I may check that out for future events. 

wrote:

Thanks for the details. I didn’t have to do anything, it just started working. I can only assume the system needed a power cycle for the new settings to take full effect. I thought I did a couple cycles with all the fiddling, but maybe not. 

Always good news when tech works again 😀

wrote:

Thanks for the pointers to FW, I may check that out for future events. 

No prob, out of curiosity, what firmware version are you on?