Bluetooth device connection options and some lag when watching films

Hello!

I have two questions about the S1 Pro. Forgive me if this has been asked before.

1. When I turn on bluetooth on my laptop or iPhone, I notice there's two S1 Pro devices showing? One says Bose S1 Pro and another says LE-Bose S1 Pro. What is the difference? Please see photo attached.

2. When watching films (Netflix, Amazon, etc) it seems when on bluetooth the lip movement of actors are not synced to the sound. There seems to be considerable lag when on bluetooth. Is this a normal experience?

Much appreciated!

Joseph

Hi Joseph,

@Joseph posted:

Hello!

I have two questions about the S1 Pro. Forgive me if this has been asked before.

1. When I turn on bluetooth on my laptop or iPhone, I notice there's two S1 Pro devices showing? One says Bose S1 Pro and another says LE-Bose S1 Pro. What is the difference? Please see photo attached.

Please disregard the "LE-" device. You can't connect to that. Are you running an Android device?

2. When watching films (Netflix, Amazon, etc) it seems when on bluetooth the lip movement of actors are not synced to the sound. There seems to be considerable lag when on bluetooth. Is this a normal experience?

There can be some latency (sound arrives later than the video is observed). 

This is a normal experience for Bluetooth devices when running video. There are low-latency versions of Bluetooth. To take advantage of that, both ends of the connection have to be running Bluetooth aptX Low Latency. Unfortunately, this is not available on the S1 Pro.

I watch video on an iPad Pro. I find the latency is more or less noticeable depending on the operating system and the application.  Netflix and PrimeVideo are okay, YouTube is unbearable.

Much appreciated!

Joseph

ST

Hi,
Maybe you should take a look at this thing. You should get the right sync with the TV although going backwards to a slower Bluetooth you will end up with the same issue

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0...ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I use it in combination with this for in-ear monitoring.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0...ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Regards

Gerardo

Sadly integration of Bose with computers interfaces and communication protocols like Bluetooth is something that Bose are really slow with and if they don't watch it they will be left behind. Sitting on their laurels springs to mind.

Hi, Gerardo,

Thanks for joining the conversation.

You're right, low-latency Bluetooth requires that both ends of the connection support aptX Low-Latency.

If Joseph's device doesn't support low-latency Bluetooth, then he would need a third-party transmitter like the one you mentioned, as well as a third-party receiver for the S1 Pro systems. Unfortunately, I haven't found a solution that will do this in stereo to two separate receivers.

Latency isn't an issue for streaming Bluetooth audio for music playback.

Perro2019 posted:

Sadly integration of Bose with computers interfaces and communication protocols like Bluetooth is something that Bose are really slow with and if they don't watch it they will be left behind. Sitting on their laurels springs to mind.

Although Bose does not discuss products in development, they are always working something. Comments like yours are a valued inspiration.

ST

Hi,
Hopefully Bose will catch up with better PC interface management for their devices. Specially for musicians. Imagine. Being able to manage all your 'L' type devices from a PC/Tablet/smartphone instead of a mixing desk. Your sound engineer would kiss the ground you walk on!!!
But time to wake up, smell the coffee and back to this topic. Avantree  seems to be at the forefront of low latency bluetooth. I see there is now apt-x HD over bluetooth which is supposed to be better quality.
Patience I think is called for.
Best regards
Gerardo

Thank you everyone, especially ST for providing insights! Have a great one.