Bose Companion 2 Series III volume problem

Hi, 

My Bose speaker volume is fluctuating. Sometimes it's really low volume then suddenly went up very loud. This is happening at a random time so I stopped using it before the people around here complain. I could not find a suitable fix for this. Please help me.

Thanks in advance.

Hello rahkhid, 

Thanks for reaching out. Welcome to the site. 

I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with your Companion speakers. To give us a better insight, kindly confirm:

• What are the speakers connected to?
  • Have you tried using a different cable connection? 
  • When adjusting the volume using the volume dial, does it rotate smoothly and consistently with the volume increase/decrease? 
  • Have you tried using the speakers with any other devices? 

I'll look forward to hearing from you. 

Hi,

It’s connected to PC using Bose’s packaged audio cable. I also tried other cable, and also tried connecting it to my iPhone: still the same issue.

I could smoothly rotate the volume knob til its max position.

This does seem very strange. As you have already tried a different audio cable and the problem persists, I'd have to recommend that you explore the service options for your speakers.

You can do this by contacting local support - Global Contact Us > Select your country > Scroll to the bottom of the page > Click 'Contact Us'

I just read alot of similar problems with this model on this community and reddit. This must be a faulty product. Would you know how much will I spend to repair this? If it’s more than the price of a new one, it’s not worth it to be repaired. 

I went to Bose Service Center and they said that this model is irreparable and I have to buy the Master speaker for $129. So this is Bose quality now huh? Easy to break and irreparable. My 7-year old Klipsch speaker is still working like new compared to this. 

Disappointing. 

I have the same problem, the sound suddenly increases and decreases.
Technical assistance will charge 60% of the value of a new device to repair .. I don't know if it's worth it. =(
Bose must correct these problems that happen to several buyers so as not to lose credibility...

Have the same intermittent volume problem with my three year old speakers.

Sawed open the enclosure and inspected the sound board but without a schematic, hard to troubleshoot.

@targetehr wrote:

Hello rahkhid, 

Thanks for reaching out. Welcome to the site. 

I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with your Companion speakers. To give us a better insight, kindly confirm:

• What are the speakers connected to?
  • Have you tried using a different cable connection? 
  • When adjusting the volume using the volume dial, does it rotate smoothly and consistently with the volume increase/decrease? 
  • Have you tried using the speakers with any other devices? 

I'll look forward to hearing from you. 

The Companion 2 seems like a faulty product and I am convinced this should have been better handled by Bose, being a company manufacturing products of the highest quality and premium prices too. Utterly disappointing. Incidentally I have had an issue with an earlier product many years ago called the Lifestyle 3 Series 2, where the bass module would suddenly make a sound and cut off.

am also using the soundlink 3 and Sound dock which are wonderful products, never had any issue with them

When replying to a topic, make sure your reply is relevant and keeps the conversation productive. Please be respectful of other community member's opinions. If you are experiencing the issue reported in a thread, the more details you can include the easier it will be for others to try and help.

I am also having volume fluctuation for my Companion 2. The Bose agent here in Singapore informed that they can't repair it...... .

What shall I do?

I totally agree this is a problem specific to this specific model speaker! I’ve had my Bose Companions about 2 years and the volume suddenly started to jump up too loud then the volume drops to barely hearing it. Needless to say, I’m done with Bose!