Bose jewel speakers missing acoustimass control module

We’ve bought a house that has 5 x Bose speakers cabled in the walls but the previous owners took the bass and control modules. Can anyone advise which generation acoustimass it is? The photos show that the speaker end of the cable has the proprietary bose plug and the controller end has rca plugs. 

451E4E3C-2130-4325-99F9-BEA08F39922B.jpeg

FDC1565D-C31E-473A-BDA8-F2D1D47C22DF.jpeg

i would prefer to not replace the speakers if possible.
You can see there is also a black cable but not sure what that was used for. 

thanks

wrote:

We’ve bought a house that has 5 x Bose speakers cabled in the walls but the previous owners took the bass and control modules. Can anyone advise which generation acoustimass it is? The photos show that the speaker end of the cable has the proprietary bose plug and the controller end has rca plugs. 

i would prefer to not replace the speakers if possible.
You can see there is also a black cable but not sure what that was used for. 

thanks

You can read this post where someone asked a similar question, but you have Jewel Cube speakers so it does help round it down.

They had one of maybe half a dozen Lifestyle systems, but there is no way to know for sure which one they had.

If both ends of the subwoofer cable are the same (please read that post to make sure), I think they had an LSPS III subwoofer. If so I would purchase that and an AV35 receiver to get the best out of your existing speakers and wiring.

Read those posts to give you a good idea of what you need to purchase. Just know that the receiver does not support 4K, but there are ways to use 4K with it

I hope that this helps answer your question. Let us know what you end up doing 🙂

Hi NeonsNight thanks for the helpful response.

Can I narrow down the potential options by saying that I am after a solution that enables me to get the audio from my Sony KD-65X9500H tv playing through the Bose speakers?

The outputs from the tv are shown below.

We just watch general tv, sports and netflix.

The connector cable that is in the wall is a 9-pin mini din. Photos below of both ends.

Given the above would you say that the LSPS III subwoofer and an AV35 receiver is the best way to go?

And just to clarify, when you say LSPS III subwoofer, the actual models I can buy would include PS18III / PS28III / PS35III / PS38III / PS48III ?

thanks

If you want great performance—and value—in a Bose surround sound system  The Lifestyle 600 system is more than its Jewel Cube speakers. centre speaker​;  Survey Acoustimass wireless bass module; Universal remote control  Bose Soundbar 700 gone out of my view, I hate depending on TV for the rest of the connectivity.

Official DGCustomerFirst

wrote:

Hi NeonsNight thanks for the helpful response.

Can I narrow down the potential options by saying that I am after a solution that enables me to get the audio from my Sony KD-65X9500H tv playing through the Bose speakers?

The outputs from the tv are shown below.

We just watch general tv, sports and netflix.(..)

Given the above would you say that the LSPS III subwoofer and an AV35 receiver is the best way to go?

Ah, that's a different question to "i would prefer to not replace the speakers if possible" & what works with your pre-wiring.

The best option is the Lifestyle 650 / 600 / 550 as that has a wireless subwoofer and a receiver that supports 4K, ARC, & CEC. (If you don't know what ARC & CEC means, ARC allows for HDMI to send sound from a TV to a receiver. CEC allows you to send commands like change channel, power, etc via an HDMI cable). 

If you go for one of these, you won't use that subwoofer cable (as the new Lifestyle systems have a wireless subwoofer) and the speaker wires would need to be spliced into an adapter that can connect to the receiver. So you need to make sure that the pre-wire location is near where you'd want to put your receiver.

Bose currently sells the Lifestyle 650/600/550 and it is something you should seriously look into. The version that uses the same speakers as yours (though they look different now) is the Lifestyle 600. There have been rumours about Bose coming out with a new one that supports 8K, but it is anyone's guess when that will happen, especially with the global chip shortage.

As this is still a currently manufactured system, it is hard to find without the cube speakers. So you will most likely purchase a full system either new or second hand and have 5 unused cube speakers. 

If you go for the AV35 know that it doesn't support 4K, ARC, or CEC. So you will have to wire an Optical out from your TV to the receiver to be able to hear a source on the TV.

I made that guide I linked to earlier that will help you know how to be able to use 4K with an AV35 and it is worth checking out. I recommend Option 3 using a universal remote to ensure you have the best sound.

wrote:

The connector cable that is in the wall is a 9-pin mini din. Photos below of both ends.(..)

And just to clarify, when you say LSPS III subwoofer, the actual models I can buy would include PS18III / PS28III / PS35III / PS38III / PS48III ?

thanks

Yes the LSPS III is the name of a family of subwoofers and it looks like that is what you are pre-wired for.

wrote:

If you want great performance—and value—in a Bose surround sound system  The Lifestyle 600 system is more than its Jewel Cube speakers. centre speaker​; Acoustimass wireless bass module; Universal remote control  

Yes the 600 is a good choice if you wish to re-use the speaker wiring and not use the subwoofer wiring. Assuming of course that the speaker wiring can reach the receiver as older lifestyle systems had the speaker wires go to the subwoofer. 

wrote:

Bose Soundbar 700 gone out of my view, I hate depending on TV for the rest of the connectivity.

The 700 is a very different system from what has been discussed so far. It cannot use any of the pre-wiring on offer so it would be a replacement system ignoring the speakers & pre-wiring already at the house. It is a soundbar that can have a subwoofer and rears added.

So here's an update: I bought an av35 and an accoustimas ps 28 series iii. Plugged in the cables and the front three speakers worked. There was no sound from the rear speakers. After some digging through the cables I discovered that the two rca plugs for the rear speakers don't go to the rear speakers. It's a 1m black audio cable with 2 x rca plugs on one end and a 3.5mm plug on the other end. As you can see from my photo of the cable ends, three of the cables are white and two are black. The connector on the other end of the two rca connectors on the black cable is a 3.5mm plug. Can anyone think why the original owners would have had the rca/3.5mm cable instead of the two rear speaker cables? Especially since the rear speakers are mounted on the wall with the white cables going into the wall, but obviously not coming back to where the front cables terminate and plug into the accoustimass. Any comments appreciated. Thanks 

So here's an update: I bought an av35 and an accoustimas ps 28 series iii. Plugged in the cables and the front three speakers worked. There was no sound from the rear speakers. After some digging through the cables I discovered that the two rca plugs for the rear speakers don't go to the rear speakers. It's a 1m black audio cable with 2 x rca plugs on one end and a 3.5mm plug on the other end. As you can see from my photo of the cable ends, three of the cables are white and two are black. The connector on the other end of the two rca connectors on the black cable is a 3.5mm plug. Can anyone think why the original owners would have had the rca/3.5mm cable instead of the two rear speaker cables? Especially since the rear speakers are mounted on the wall with the white cables going into the wall, but obviously not coming back to where the front cables terminate and plug into the accoustimass. Any comments appreciated. Thanks

wrote:

So here's an update: I bought an av35 and an accoustimas ps 28 series iii. Plugged in the cables and the front three speakers worked. There was no sound from the rear speakers. 

Glad the receiver, subwoofer, & from 3 work

wrote:

After some digging through the cables I discovered that the two rca plugs for the rear speakers don't go to the rear speakers. It's a 1m black audio cable with 2 x rca plugs on one end and a 3.5mm plug on the other end. As you can see from my photo of the cable ends, three of the cables are white and two are black. The connector on the other end of the two rca connectors on the black cable is a 3.5mm plug. 

Can you share the photo of where you plug in the subwoofer and the cables for the rears as that does not sound correct. 

wrote:

Can anyone think why the original owners would have had the rca/3.5mm cable instead of the two rear speaker cables? Especially since the rear speakers are mounted on the wall with the white cables going into the wall, but obviously not coming back to where the front cables terminate and plug into the accoustimass. Any comments appreciated. Thanks 

Nothing comes to mind at the moment.

thanks for the reply.

Below is a photo of rear of the ps28 iii where the three white front speaker cables are plugged in as well as the mini din and power cables. The two connectors that I’d taken as being the rear speakers are unplugged and you can see they are green and pink as expected. 

4651B67E-3DAF-4D1D-84C4-1F2A735A71A5.jpeg

Notice that the two connectors are part of a single cable. The other end of the cable is shown below with the 3.5mm connector. 

DF0C8BEC-11AC-4B83-801F-FDB5E01DA505.jpeg

This has still got me baffled as to what this black cable is doing here since the two rear bose speakers are mounted on the wall with white speaker cables going inside. So far I haven’t been able to locate the white cables. 
The sound from the three front speakers is great so not a total loss.