Bose Lifestyle Series II Upgrade Options

Hi Bose Community,

We have an aging Lifestyle 28 Series II system that is connected to a Panasonic TH-42PW7 TV via a Panasonic TU PT600 Tuner Box. Since Analogue TV is no longer a thing, we have a Set Top Box connected via composite to the Lifestyle system. 

Problem is the system is slowly starting to fall apart, our TV provider now requires us to get one of their TV boxes that is HDMI / Component Only. We want to connect an Apple TV but the speakers work fine and the TV is still functioning. 

1. What options do we have? Can we upgrade the Lifestyle 28 ii whilst keeping the speakers and Acoustimass?  (Purchased Nov. 2004). 

2. Should I just invest in a Bose VS-2 Digital Converter, although I am not exactly sure how bose manages to create 1080p HDMI images over Composit connections (Does anyone actually know how this works?).

3. We buy a new TV, then just connect the Bose to the TV for Audio via Optical and connect everything else directly to the TV. 

Thank you

wrote:

Hi Bose Community,

We have an aging Lifestyle 28 Series II system that is connected to a Panasonic TH-42PW7 TV via a Panasonic TU PT600 Tuner Box. Since Analogue TV is no longer a thing, we have a Set Top Box connected via composite to the Lifestyle system. 

Problem is the system is slowly starting to fall apart, our TV provider now requires us to get one of their TV boxes that is HDMI / Component Only. We want to connect an Apple TV but the speakers work fine and the TV is still functioning. 

I made a guide to help people connect their AV18 receivers to modern HD equipment. This should be a good resource for you.

wrote:

1. What options do we have? Can we upgrade the Lifestyle 28 ii whilst keeping the speakers and Acoustimass?  (Purchased Nov. 2004). 

If you look at option 4, you will see that you will need to purchase a different subwoofer to use a newer receiver that has HDMI included. It is a good solution if you wish to do so. Just know that you will also need to replace the subwoofer cable as well.

wrote:

2. Should I just invest in a Bose VS-2 Digital Converter, although I am not exactly sure how bose manages to create 1080p HDMI images over Composit connections (Does anyone actually know how this works?).

I would look at Option 3 as you would have more flexibility with that solution. 

wrote:

3. We buy a new TV, then just connect the Bose to the TV for Audio via Optical and connect everything else directly to the TV. 

Thank you

Yes, that also works. I have it listed as Option 1 in the guide.

I hope that this helps solve your question. Let us know what you end up doing 🙂

I'm still using a Lifestyle 18 Series III. The secret is to run everything through your TV first and then run a digital optical cable from your TV to your Bose receiver. This method insures only digital audio (up to 5.1 channels) is being used by your Bose system.

Option 3.  Or, buy a new Bose Soundbar also.