Bose Solo 15 Series II connectivity

Hi All,

I happily own and use a Solo 15 Series II, which was purchased new in 2016, but I now wish to update my TV.  I have found out that the new (QLED) TVs that are on my short list use HDMI ARC for audio out and no longer have an optical audio output. The Solo 15 only has the three inputs; optical, coaxial and RCA. 

Can the issue be effectively resolved with an HDMI ARC to Optical Converter? And if so, any recommendations as to brand/type?

Sussex, UK

I would stay away from such adaptors. Spend your money on a new speaker.

BTW the new format TV’s don’t have a pedestal stand, rather legs at each end of the TV, which makes placement of the TV difficult.

I have the Solo 15 II. Good speaker deck. Guess I will updating tho whole package when my 10 year old Samsung 6000 series TV craps out. 

wrote:

Hi All,

I happily own and use a Solo 15 Series II, which was purchased new in 2016, but I now wish to update my TV.  I have found out that the new (QLED) TVs that are on my short list use HDMI ARC for audio out and no longer have an optical audio output. The Solo 15 only has the three inputs; optical, coaxial and RCA. 

Can the issue be effectively resolved with an HDMI ARC to Optical Converter?

Yes, relatively cheap and easy really.

Option 1. ARC Converter

You can purchase a simple HDMI ARC to Optical, Coaxial, or RCA converter. But, if you do this you will sacrifice one of your HDMI inputs.

USA version

UK version

HDMI ARC Converter.jpg

Option 2. ARC converter with an HDMI pass-through

There are ARC converters out there that include an HDMI pass-through to ensure that will not sacrifice an HDMI input. 

The one I linked to below supports Optical, Coaxial, RCA, HDMI ARC, & 4K HDMI video passthrough using HDMI 2.0 (with HDCP 2.2). 

USA version [alternative 1]

UK version [alternative a, b (aliexpress as color: ZY-AV8E)]

HDMI ARC passthrough Coax.jpg

I found some alternatives that also include all 3 audio outs, but the HDMI passthrough only supports HDMI 1.4 (with HDCP 1.4b). So while ARC will work with your 4K TV, the HDMI passthrough will not support most modern 4K devices (as explained in this guide, though "Option 2" in that guide will offer a solution to this).

USA version [alternative 1, ab]

UK version [alternative 1]

There are other versions like the one below that does not include a Digital Coax out but still supports Optical, RCA, ARC, & 4K HDMI video passthrough using HDMI 2.0 (with HDCP 2.2). 

USA version [alternative 1, 23, 4, 5]

UK version [alternative 123, 4, 5]

HDMI ARC Converter with HDMI passthrough.jpg

Option 3. HDMI Switch

You could also go for a full HDMI switch that will add more HDMI inputs to your setup and the correct audio outputs needed for your Solo. 

If you decide to go this route, I would probably purchase a harmony remote or something similar that can control the system and everything else connected. Though that's not a requirement, you can use it with the included HDMI switch remote to change sources.

USA version [alternative 1]

UK version [alternative 1, a]

wrote:

And if so, any recommendations as to brand/type?

Sussex, UK

I have not purchased what I listed above as the ones I have purchased are sold out. This is probably due to the global chip shortage. So I would purchase one of these from a place that you can easily return them if they do not do what you need.

I hope that this helps solve your question. Let us know what you end up doing 🙂