Can S1 Pro power Sub 1 w/ match cable?

Can the Pro S1 power the Sub 1 base module with use of a sub match cable? The owners guide mentions connecting the sub module to an L1 Pro32 for power but not the S1. : / Thank you for any help you can provide.

Hello smonop,

Sort answer:  No.  The Submatch cable only works with the L1 Pro 32 to provide electrical power and signal via a single cable to the Sub1 or Sub2.  The S1 Pro does not have a Submatch jack.

When connecting a Sub1 or Sub2 to an S1 Pro, you must provide separate power to the Sub, and then decide whether you will:

1. Send your signal from the S1 Pro's line out to the Sub1.  If you are using Bluetooth, this is the method you would use.  The downside is that the S1 Pro will be processing a full-range signal along with the Sub1's low frequency signal.
  2. Send your signal from the Sub1's line out to the S1 Pro.  If you use the Sub's "S1 Pro line out EQ" mode (by holding the Sub1's (by holding the Line Out EQ button for four seconds) then the Sub1 will only process frequencies below 150Hz, and send only frequencies above 150Hz to the S1 Pro (which will be much less taxing on the S1 Pro.)  The downside is the Sub1 doesn't have a Bluetooth receiver, so you have to use a cabled source, such as a mixer.

Does that help?

Thank you!!

Can you describe the set up for two S1 and two Sub1 in cardioid mode?

mixer XLR to sub1 XLR to 2nd sub1 (cardioid) XLR to S1? That’s 6 XLR cables total?!

or: mixer XLR to sub1, and then XLR to S1 AND submatch to 2nd sub1 (cardioid)? That’s 4 XLR and 1 submatch cables total. 

thanks!

Hi DJ!

For more information on using cardioid mode on the Sub1 or Sub2, please see page 9 in the owner's guide.

[edited]

Hi  

the second configuration does not work. I connect my mixer to first sub using xlr. Then submatch out into second sub. No sound is heard in second sub. Do I have a faulty submatch cable?

Probably because it's a submatch THROUGH output.  Only repeats what is coming into the sub at the submatch IN

Hi DJHeisenberg,

Tommy is indeed correct - I apologize that my previous comment has added to the confusion here, I've since amended it. 

The only audio that gets passed to the second sub via the 'SubMatch Thru' port is the audio received in the first sub's 'SubMatch In' port. However, all audio from the first sub can be passed to a second speaker using the Line Out.

Hope this helps!

Thanks that is super useful and first time I get confirmation of this. The user manual AND the technical YouTube video contain false information because they clearly say that you can use the submatch cable no matter what input is used on the first sub (XLR or Submatch, there is even a schematic in the instructions showing "XLR in - Submatch out"). 

Question for you: for cardioid mode, is it better to use a Y-split XLR cable to feed both subs the exact same signal, or to daisy-chain through the "in-out" XLR? Any advantages/disadvantages in doing a Y-cable to split the signal? My understanding is that there is a DSP between the In-Out XLRs, therefore the signal coming out isn't exactly the same as the signal coming in, which in turns messes with the cardioid mode on the second sub. As opposed to a submatch cable that is exactly a passthrough (same signal in and out). So my thought was to use a Y-cable as a substitute to the submatch cable.

Any insight on this, that you could share?

Hi DJ,

Please could you clarify where in the owner's guide you have found 'false information' on this?

As for your second query, either option is a viable one. The quality of splitter cables (or Y-cables) can vary quite greatly, so I'd personally use the XLR line out on the sub when daisy-chaining bass modules. 

Watch the "Technical Training: Bose L1 Pro Controls, Connections, and Cardioid – Sub1 & Sub2" from the bose professional youtube channel, at exactly 5:58. See bottom screenshot of the connection, clearly depicting that the input can be "Line in" OR "Submatch" with the second sub clearly connected via Submatch cable:

DJHeisenberg_0-1644434272144.png