Companion 2 Series III no longer connecting to laptop

Before creating a new topic, please search the Community to avoid creating duplicate threads. If you are posting about a problem, the more of the below details you can include (if applicable) the easier it will be for others to try and help. Go to https://bose.life/2K1GbJl for a helpful post on how to find relevant information, including your firmware and app version information!

Bose product name 

Companion 2 Series III

Country

Canada

Firmware Version

App Version

What devices were you using that were affected and what version are they on (e.g. Samsung Galaxy S9 on Android 11, iPhone X on iOS14, etc.)
Acer Aspire A515-52G laptop

Detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce

The speakers are no longer connecting to my laptop.  Can't use it for music, Zoom/Skype, etc.  I turn on (for example) my music and it only plays through the laptop speakers.  

If I remove the speaker plug from the laptop and re-plug it in, I get a message saying "Realtek Audio Console --  Which device did you plug in"  Choices are Line In, Mic In, Headphone, Speaker Out, Headset.  I've tried all of them (I think should be Speaker Out); none of them works.

What environment do you experience the issue in? (e.g. noisy office, quiet kitchen, etc.)

Quiet home office

When did you start to experience the issue? Did it work correctly previously?

In the last couple months I started having issues.  Previously, there was no issue.

Any troubleshooting steps you took

Used the laptop troubleshooting feature.  It says the device is not plugged in.  However, I've checked all connections and it is plugged in.

It does not show the speakers in the Sound settings.

Hello Dawn1, 

Thank you for posting and welcome to the community forums. 

I am sorry to hear you are having issues getting audio from your Companion system. I would love to help you to get this fixed. Just to confirm, did anything like a power cut or storm happen before this issue started? Also, do the speakers work with another computer or device?

Whilst we confirm the above, we also have some great troubleshooting available here and here for you to try.

I very much look forward to your response and hearing how you get on!