Connection problems with 1 gen. Soundtouch 20

I have just aquired a 1. Gen. Soundtouch 20. It is new - never used.

Setup goes smoothly and connects to WiFi and Soundtouch app without problems, but it will not connect to my Bose account. It tells me that the connection is unsuccessfull and that 

I should “try again later”. I have now done this over many days, and also tried connecting via alternative networks. I have furthermore tried to open a new Bose account, but with the same result.

My authorised Bose dealer tells me that is is likely that Bose is disallowing the connection due to the age of my device.

Can that be true?

Hello TheGreatDane. 

Thanks for reaching out.

I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing issues with your SoundTouch 20. 

What the deal suggested is not true. Any of our SoundTouch products can be paired to even the latest version of the SoundTouch app. That being said, if the speaker hasn't been used before, it will be running a much older firmware that isn't directly compatible. You will need to update the firmware manually to be able to use it. 

To do this, please visit this link on a computer to update the firmware. Be sure to scroll down to "Manually updating with a USB cable."

Be sure to let me know how you get on.

Hi Jeff and thank you for your reply.

The update started well but finished not good at all.

I downloaded the .stu file to my PC and connected via the IP listed. The PC and soundtouch connected and the .stu file uploaded as expected.

Then the soundtouch rebooted, and started the installation of the new firmware, but after about 1/8 into the installation bar, things just stopped all together. I then waited over an hour, and there was still no progress at all.

I then chose to disconnect the power, intending to repeat the procedure, and that has now resulted in a soundtouch that are completely without response. Nothing works - not even the pushbuttons on the top, and I can not connect to it via the PC either. All I see on the display is “an empty installation bar” that is not moving.

Did I just loose the entire operating system? Can I do anything to kickstart the thing or has it become an expensive “paperweight”?

Regards

You mentioned the speaker had never been used before, there will be a lot of updates that need to be pushed through, this could take several hours. I definitely do not recommend disconnecting power during the update as there is potential for the system being bricked. SoundTouch updates happen sequentially, so every update that has been released since the product came out will be installed one by one, it won't be a single update.

Please try to reset the speaker by pressing Preset 1 and Vol- together on the speaker for around 10 seconds, then try the process again. I would personally leave the speaker to attempt the updates over the next day. There will be occasions where it looks like it is hanging but this is normal. 

I'll look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks.

I am afraid it is now bricked. Nothing works. I can’t reset/reboot. And none of the buttons on top of the unit works.

It has now been sitting overnight and all I see is an empty rectangular figure on the screen.

it was probably caused by me disconnecting the power when installing updates. I never expected that the update process would look stalled for hours and the continue to install for many hours.

Dang !

Sorry to hear this TheGreatDane. 

As the speaker is bricked and you are unable to attempt any further troubleshooting, I would highly recommend getting in touch with our customer service team via clicking this link, then kindly scroll and select your region, once this is done please scroll to Contact Us. The team will be on hand and ready to help.

If you have any issues contacting the team in your region, please do let us know.