Correct settings for use with a mixer

Hi, I hope someone can help with this problem.
I have recently purchased a Bose L1 Model I with two bass subs.
My set up consists of two keyboards, Drum machine, Bass Pedals and two mikes going through a Yamaha 01v mixer and into the bose l1.

The problem which I am having is when a singer sings a loud note, the volume of the music from all instruments drops considerably (while the vocal steys strong) returning to normal when the singers note ends.

I take two balanced (xlr) leads from the left and right outputs on the mixer to channels 1 and 2 on the L1. Trims on the L1 are turned down to minimum, eq preset setting are 00, settings on the L1 remote are eq set at 12 o’clock channel volumes set at 12 o’clock and master volume set at 3 o’clock.

For larger venues I use a second L1 and daisy chain from one L1 to the other.
I have read on the forum that this is not the best way to use two systems can someone tell me how to get the best from this system without any problems.

thanks
Robert

Hello Sir Robert

I know what you say.
I look at this as a plus.
I did a room of 300 people, miked a full band on an elevated stage. One L1 classic and two b1’s. And a Mini Yamaha mixer.

Simply turn the singers mike down to level off the compression, so as to attenuate the band less, then raise the overall volume.

Does this make sense?

Hi Robert and welcome to the forum,

Check to see if you have compression activated in the 01V. It almost sounds like the instruments have ducking compressors enabled with the keying set to the microphone channels. You could also experience this symptom if the L1 is limiting but since the vocals don’t appear to be affected I would suspect the 01V.

An ideal way to connect the 01V to the L1 is to connect it as you have but to hard pan the vocals one way, lets say left, and the instruments would be hard paned right. This way you can select presets for the vocal microphones and possibly a preset for the instruments if required. There have been many discussions on the subject in the past. Also check the The Bose® L1® Encyclopedia FAQ & Wiki

The XLR inputs 1 and 2 of your L1 Model 1 are Microphone level inputs. The 1/4" inputs 1 and 2 (same connector as the XLRs) of your L1 Model 1 are Line level inputs and would be a better choice for proper gain staging.

When using two L1s it is preferable for each source to be in only one L1 if the L1 are covering the same room. I can’t get into details at the moment but will check in later. Perhaps another member will provide insights.

In the meantime please provide us with more information on your group.

How many performers are in your group?

What style music do you play?

What types of venues.

quote:
Originally posted by Robert Wishart:
...My set up consists of two keyboards, Drum machine, Bass Pedals and two mikes going through a Yamaha 01v mixer and into the bose l1...
As Mark suggested, unless you need "effects" on the vocal mikes, I would consider plugging them direct into the L1 with their respective "Preset" for the type of mic.

The other instruments can stay in the mixer, and take the output of the mixer to Channels 3 & 4 of the Bose. (If the mixer has 1/4" main outputs, just use those with direct 1/4"-to-1/4" cables).

Then, with two L1's in the same room, all you have to do is take the Channel 2 & 4 connections out of the first L1 and plug them into the same inputs on the second L1 (2 & 4). The two L1's and mixer are set up identically; the only change is where the cables are connected.

If you prefer having the mikes connected to the mixer (e.g.: if you have effects to be added), then you can do the same thing by using sub-mixes (that mixer has 6 sub-mix outputs). Create four sub-mixes as described above:

1: Mic #1
2: Mic #2
3: Left output from all instruments
4: Right output from all instruments

Connect those four submix outputs to the corresponding 4 connections of the Bose PS/1. *Do* use the Presets on Channels 1 & 2. The strategy for using the 2nd L1 is the same ... move only cables 2 & 4.

Using the sub-mixes also allows you to do some blending across the two L1's if necessary ... depending on how widely separated the two columns are. If more than 20' apart, for instance, you may end up blending 1 & 2 identically and blending mix 3 & 4 identically -- but don't blend the instruments into the "mic submix" (because they are using the Presets for the mics).

Thanks for all the advice guys I will try these combinations out and post the results.
I was told by the music shop to take the left and right out of my mixer into 1 and 2 of the L1 using BALANCED (XLR) leads.
This is a contradiction in what i have read on this forum. So tonight at my gig I decided to pan everything on my mixer LEFT and I then took one unbalanced lead from the left output of the mixer to channel one of the L1. After setting the trim I noticed a remarkable difference to the quality of the sound.
I then used the remote to finely adjust to the desired volume and added a little top to the eq.
I was impressed by the results and I am looking forward to trying out the other combinations mentioned earlier.

Can anyone tell me how to the best set up for two L1’s as I have read differnt posts to this.
I was told by the music shop to link from one L1 to the other again using two baklanced leads going from the outputs on one L1 the inputs 1 and 2 on the second L1 however I read that there is a problem with phase cancellation which would cancel out some sound depending on the listners position in the room. This being due to the wide spread of sound on the L1.

Thanks

Robert

Hi Robert,

Here are some notes for you that address connecting one L1® to another.

Power Stand / Daisy Chain.

As for phase cancellation, just keep the units at least 20 feet apart and you should be okay. Given the wide sound dispersion and the relatively low drop off over distance, there is not a lot of reason to run duo-mono with the L1®s close together anyway.

Please let me know if the notes linked above address your questions.

Thanks

Hi Robert Wishart,

Thanks for using The Sketcher!

This is just a quick note to send you a link to your Sketch in case you want to review it, edit it, or share it with others.

– click image to make changes to the live version –

Hi ST,
thanks for all the help and the quick response.
I am very impressed with this forum

Robert

Hi,
I forgot to ask… is there any need to use the remote(s) when connecting from a mixer?
I was told that the remote had to be connected even if it is not used?

Thanks
Robert

Hi Robert,

quote:
is there any need to use the remote(s) when connecting from a mixer?
I was told that the remote had to be connected even if it is not used?

It depends on who you ask.

I always use the Remote because this gives you a Master Level control at the end of the signal chain. That is, you can raise or lower the output of the System without affecting the gain staging anywhere else in the signal path.

You can set up everything optimally without the Remote, but when you need more and you turn up the output from the mixer, you may well overdrive (clip) the inputs on the Power Stand. Overdriving the inputs is about the only way to get distortion out of the System. Turning up the Master Level on the Remote will not introduce distortion.

Also, if you have noise anywhere in the signal chain before the L1®, without the Remote attached the L1® will faithfully amplify the noise along with everything else. This is not usually noticeable unless you have nothing else going on (no instruments or vocals). If you do have noise in your signal path (before the L1®) then the easiest way to mute it if you can’t eliminate it, is to use the Remote to turn down the Master Level.

We have more detailed notes with recommendations in the The Bose® L1® Encyclopedia FAQ & Wiki.

Please see: R1 Remote.

If you are looking for anything having to do with the L1® try a search using the “Search the wiki” box in my signature below.