DJ and Karaoke with T1 and one and then two L1 Compacts

Hi,

I wonder if anyone can give me some advise, I am new to the forum and so forgive me if this has been covered, I have searched but can't seem to find what I need to know.

I have been doing a small venue for djing an d karaoke using 1 l1 compact and it seemed to do the job well until the room got quite full (up to about 80 people)

Then I was struggling to get the volume any higher because the l1 compact was going into the red.

I have 2 of the l1 compacts, so I thought next time I do this gig I will take two and daisy chain them.

So my setup was

T1 tonematch - from master output to 1/4" jack input of first L1 Compact and then 1/4" output of first L1 compact to 1/4" input of Second L1 Compact.(using mono cable TS cable)

The problem was this was worse than using one L1 compact I had to turn the line volumes and master very high on the T1 to get good volume.

I checked the normal stuff like levels from the laptop and the levels were good.

So I can't understand why, any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Billy

edit title: Previously "L1 Compact"
Bose Pro Community Admin  

Hi Billy,

Great question.

Billy posted:

Hi,

I wonder if anyone can give me some advise, I am new to the forum and so forgive me if this has been covered, I have searched but can't seem to find what I need to know.

Thanks for searching.

I have been doing a small venue for djing an d karaoke using 1 l1 compact and it seemed to do the job well until the room got quite full (up to about 80 people)

Then I was struggling to get the volume any higher because the l1 compact was going into the red.

I have 2 of the l1 compacts, so I thought next time I do this gig I will take two and daisy chain them.

Good thought.

So my setup was

T1 tonematch - from master output to 1/4" jack input of first L1 Compact and then 1/4" output of first L1 compact to 1/4" input of Second L1 Compact.(using mono cable TS cable)

The problem was this was worse than using one L1 compact I had to turn the line volumes and master very high on the T1 to get good volume.

I checked the normal stuff like levels from the laptop and the levels were good.

So I can't understand why, any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Billy

You will get better results using  1/4 inch (6.3 mm) Tip-Ring-Sleeve cables from the T1 to the first L1 Compact and from the first L1 Compact to the second.

Here are the details.

Compact Daisy Chain 

Does that help?
ST

My preference is not to daisy chain my two L1 Compacts or S1 Pro's, I use a Whirlwind Split 6, 1 in from the Bose T1 and up to 6 outs available for whatever equipment is needed. 

Whirlwind SPLIT6 - 1x6 Line Splitter

Hi,

Thanks very much for the reply, will this make a big difference to the volume??

the reason I didn’t use a TRS cable is because I read somewhere on another forum that the 1/4” input and output should be mono only.

Another way I thought was using the Aux output on the same channel.

So have one L1 compact on the master and one on the aux??

would that be better than daisy chain??

Thanks again

Billy

Hi,

Is there an equivalent in the UK of a Whirlwind Split 6 that you know of because this is a US product??

Many thanks

Billy

I would use TRS cables as ST recommended, he knows his stuff, you can get the split 6 on Amazon.com if that helps for UK purchase...

Ok,

Thanks very much

Hi Billy,

Billy posted:

Hi,

Thanks very much for the reply, will this make a big difference to the volume??

An unbalanced connection (what you get with a 1/4 inch (6.3mm) Tip-Sleeve cable) has a -6dB lower signal than the recommended balanced connections (what you get with the 1/4 inch (6.3 mm) Tip-Ring-Sleeve cable).

the reason I didn’t use a TRS cable is because I read somewhere on another forum that the 1/4” input and output should be mono only.

There's lots of confusion out there between stereo/mono and balanced/unblanced.

Here are some notes for you:

Balanced vs Unbalanced 

Another way I thought was using the Aux output on the same channel. So have one L1 compact on the master and one on the aux??

You can do this, however - if you are using reverb on the vocals you will find there's no reverb on Aux.  Here are some more notes.

T1 ToneMatch® Audio Engine Aux Output
--?8T? Please click the picture for more details ?T8?--    

would that be better than daisy chain??

Thanks again

Billy

There's nothing wrong with daisy chaining the L1 Compacts. Bose built-in the capability to do it with the LINE OUT.

Note - for best results - put the L1 Compacts at least 10-15 feet apart (3 to 5 meters).  The wider apart you put them, the more benefit you gain from having two.

Sorry, I meant to mention that in my post above.

ST

Thanks ST,

You have been extremely helpful.

Billy