eARC Update for SoundTouch 300

Hello,

sry for reopening this topic again, but I couldn't post to the others:

ARC to eARC 

HDMI 2.1 eARC Update for Soundtouch 300 

As far as I know, the Sil9777 chip is integrated into the SoundTouch 300 soundbars.

This chip also supports higher bit rates. See the data sheet:

xOLIVERx_0-1630590057662.png

Also many other manufacturer already added the eARC functionality to their existing older devices.

Is there any other reason, why this feature is not available for the ST300?

(For the Soundbar 500 and the Soundbar 700, this functionality has been submitted for a long time.)

Thx.

Regards

wrote:

Hello,

sry for reopening this topic again, but I couldn't post to the others:

ARC to eARC 

HDMI 2.1 eARC Update for Soundtouch 300 

As far as I know, the Sil9777 chip is integrated into the SoundTouch 300 soundbars.

This chip also supports higher bit rates. See the data sheet:

Also many other manufacturer already added the eARC functionality to their existing older devices.

Is there any other reason, why this feature is not available for the ST300?

(For the Soundbar 500 and the Soundbar 700, this functionality has been submitted for a long time.)

Thx.

Regards

The SoundTouch 300 came out in 2016 and includes HDMI 2.0b which was also released in 2016.

eARC was added via HDMI 2.1 which was released in 2017 and is a hardware difference, not only a software one. The SoundBar 500 & 700 both came out in 2018 and includes HDMI 2.1.

I have no clue if that chip is included in the SoundTouch 300 and would be interested to see where you got that information. Yet the Silicon Image SiI9777 chip was released in 2014 and supports HDMI 2.0 which was released in 2013.

According to its specs, it supports ARC at S/PDIF levels not eARC:

2.11. Audio Return Channel
This pin is used to either transmit or receive an IEC60958-1 audio stream over the utility pin of the HDMI cable, using single-mode ARC transmission.
In ARC receiver mode, this pin receives an S/PDIF signal from an ARC transmitter-capable Sink and outputs it on the AO_SPDIF pin. In transmit mode, the Audio Return Channel (ARC) transmitter takes the audio signal from the S/PDIF input pin and sends it upstream over the HDMI cable to the Source or Repeater device.
In either transmit or receive mode, the ARC channel supports 32, 44.1 and 48 kHz audio sample rates.

00227116_HDMI ARC connection-2.png

So the SoundTouch 300 will never have eARC support as the hardware does not support it.

Even if the Soundtouch 300 hardware would support it, Bose might not want to include it to sell more newer Bose products.  I'm not sure improving the capability of older products is always a good business decision.

Got the information from an disassemble video on Youtube:

Whats inside a 700 Soundbar Bose soundtounch 300 

Also some other manufacturer added the ability in their HDMI 2.0 interfaces.

See also an article in German:

HDMI ARC und eARC: Alles, was du wissen musst 

There is a paragraph in it which is translated as follows:

But there is good news: even soundbars and televisions that only have an HDMI 2.0 connection can ideally use the advantages of eARC - often even with a subsequent firmware update.

If they don't want to support it on older hardware, then they should at least make comparable products so that we can switch.

Regards

wrote:

Got the information from an disassemble video on Youtube:

Whats inside a 700 Soundbar Bose soundtounch 300 

Thanks I'll check that out 🙂

wrote:

Also some other manufacturer added the ability in their HDMI 2.0 interfaces.

See also an article in German:

HDMI ARC und eARC: Alles, was du wissen musst 

There is a paragraph in it which is translated as follows:

"But there is good news: even soundbars and televisions that only have an HDMI 2.0 connection can ideally use the advantages of eARC - often even with a subsequent firmware update."

It also goes on to say "all connected devices must be fit for eARC". So if there is a device, be it a single chip that interfaces with the HDMI signal, even outside of that single one you mentioned, then that system is not compatible with eARC and it cannot be updated.

I would also point out that "For example, manufacturers such as Yamaha, Samsung and Sony have published eARC updates for various televisions" was not for everything that they made from 2016 onwards. Far from it.

It was for products they specifically designed to be upgradable to eARC: "the eARC portion can be added now to some HDMI 2.0b based devices via a firmware update, provided manufacturers have made this part of the equipment design."

You will notice that the minimum release year for an ARC to eARC firmware update from those announced products is a release date of 2020... Not 2016:

• Samsung TV's & Soundbars - All released in 2020 & 2021
    • TV: UHD TU7000 and above models.  
    • Soundbar: Q70T and above models.
  • Sony TV's - All released in 2020
    • 4K LCD TVs - X900H (US) / XH90 (Europe) 
    • 8K LCD TVs - Z8H (US) / ZH8 (Europe)
  • Yamaha Receivers - All released in 2020 & 2021
    • RX-V4A, RX-V6A, RX-A2A and TSR-700

wrote:

If they don't want to support it on older hardware

The internet LOVES conspiracy theories. I have some hardware experience so I know that upgrading and adding a new feature is sometimes physically not possible with the architecture already on a system. In this case, it does not look like the system can be made to support eARC.

One good way to tell is by looking at what Bose currently sells. If it was possible Bose would have done it for their $4,000 Lifestyle 650 system that is currently on sale and also came out in 2016. Though I have no clue if it has a similar chip inside or not.

But as I cannot find any companies that have an ARC to eARC firmware update for a product that was first manufactured in 2016... it's not a good sign that this is possible with the installed architecture from that time period.

wrote:

then they should at least make comparable products so that we can switch.

Regards

Bose currently sells the Soundbar 700 & 500 and both support eARC as they came out in 2018.

well put.

Manufacturers rarely put out updates that would eliminate the opportunity to provide an updated product they could sell as such. SoundTouch Series 3 and Airplay was a huge exception.

Adding Airplay to my older ST30’s means I won’t be buying bookshelf speakers from Bose for a very long time. That is unless Bose offers a Smart 700 speaker. Then maybe. 😊

wrote:

well put.

Manufacturers rarely put out updates that would eliminate the opportunity to provide an updated product they could sell as such. SoundTouch Series 3 and Airplay was a huge exception.

Adding Airplay to my older ST30’s means I won’t be buying bookshelf speakers from Bose for a very long time. That is unless Bose offers a Smart 700 speaker. Then maybe. 😊

Isn't that kind of a contradictory statement? Manufacturers like Bose don't offer updates that add new features because it can hurt future sales... but I'm glad that Bose has a track history of adding new features to their products as it means I don't need to purchase new Bose speakers?

If I needed/wanted eARC, I would sell my Bose Acoustimass 300 on eBay and purchase a Bose Soundbar 700.

wrote:

If I needed/wanted eARC, I would sell my Bose Acoustimass 300 on eBay and purchase a Bose Soundbar 700.

Personally, I'd wait for the leaked Bose Smart Soundbar 900 🤷‍♂️

If I want to switch to a newer system, I have to change all of my components, otherwise I can no longer form groups and I would have to use 2 apps.

The problem is, however, that there is not yet a smart home device for every SoundTouch device. (That is why SoundTouch devices are still being sold.)

Another problem for me is that most smart home products unfortunately no longer have a LAN connection and this is a must have for me.