Finer Control Of Volume Using L1 Mix App

When I try to adjust the volume of my L1 Pro 8 during a live performance using the mix app on my tablet by sliding my finger up and down, the volume does not change smoothly, difficult to get precise control. Am I using the app incorrectly?

When did you start to experience the issue? Did it work correctly previously?

Additional gear used (e.g. instruments, mics, FX pedals, etc.)

Where did you experience the issue? (e.g. home, bar, performance hall, etc.)

Any troubleshooting steps you took

What devices were you using that were affected and what version are they on? (Samsung Galaxy S9 on Android 11, iPhone X on iOS14, etc.)

App Version

Firmware Version

Greetings, jdcus.

I think the L1 Mix app is a great little tool but it needs work. Some have suggested a slider icon versus the rotary one. I feel the same. A slider icon would also need decent sized arrows that we could tap to add incremental movements. Even the physical volume sliders take a fair amount of dexterity to bump them up or down in small amounts.

I listened to some stereo CD music the other night and from my chair, I could adjust each Pro 8. It was wonderful! However, when you're under pressure to get the next song going or when you try to make adjustments on the fly, the current architecture doesn't work well. I think the developers envisioned these adjustments being made only during the sound check and further tweaking was not needed. Nothing could be further from the truth.

You should try using the app when you have two Pro 8s, like I do. It is very difficult because you must exit out of one speaker page, and load the other speaker. You can't make adjustments to two speakers from the same window! I started a thread about this, asking if there was a workaround. No one answered. I watched a video about this and the Bose engineer talked about some sort of "stereo pairing" they're looking at for the future. I wish they'd get that done. Bose seems to assume everyone just buys one speaker. There are lots of people who actually buy two!

To your question - I think Bose needs to do some usability studies with more than the top acoustic guitar player on the planet. I forget his name, but he was in the video I mentioned earlier and I assume he made his adjustments and then played his show. Bose needs to accept input from a host of regular players under radically different conditions. 

Sorry I couldn't tell you much more than, "I agree" 👍!

Thanks for your input. At least I know that this is not only a personal issue. A slider control of volume would be an improvement, or by tapping on something.