Frequency response curve

Hello,

My name is Yael and I am a researcher at the Ben-Gurion Uni of the Negev.

I am looking for advice regarding the most suitable speaker for a field study I am conducting, focusing on the effect of noise pollution on songbirds in natural habitats.

I was wondering if the S1 can fit my purposes but couldn't find the specs of the frequency response curve.
It is important that the speaker will have a flat frequency response between 100Hz-10KHz (as flat as possible, most important range: 100Hz-5KHz).
Any other Bose speaker that fits this description? (must be portable - i.e. lightweight, battery, etc.)

I know it is hard to find for such 'flat' portable speakers but maybe someone here could help me with this?
Thanks a lot in advance

Yael

Hi Yael,

Looks like an interesting project you are working on.

The S1 actually changes it's eq output based on the orientation of the speaker.

In the tilt back position it is pretty flat from about 200 Hz up. You could make some minor adjustment with the low tone control.

Check out this link and the videos for more information. The third video shows frequency response curves momentarily on screen. If you are quick with the pause button you can check them out.

https://www.bosepro.community/...le/topic/bose-s1-pro

O..

Thanks for the quick and helpful answer!

It might be a very silly question, I am not an acoustician, but if it provides such a neat flat curve when tilted, wouldn't it be the same when mounted on a tripod from, say, 10 or 20 m?
Is there a way to change the built-in eq so it would have the same setting as if it is tilted when it is in fact mounted on a tripod? I guess not but I would be happy to make sure.

Thanks again,
Yael

@YL_birds posted:

Thanks for the quick and helpful answer!

It might be a very silly question, I am not an acoustician, but if it provides such a neat flat curve when tilted, wouldn't it be the same when mounted on a tripod from, say, 10 or 20 m?
Is there a way to change the built-in eq so it would have the same setting as if it is tilted when it is in fact mounted on a tripod? I guess not but I would be happy to make sure.

Thanks again,
Yael

Hi Yael,

Actually the S1 automatically changes eq in 4 different position, sitting flat on the bottom for table top use. leaned back, on its side for traditional monitoring, and when used on a pole there is a switch inside the pole socket for that position. 

Sound is affected by what surrounds the speaker, the boundaries. The idea of this changing eq is to adjust for the surroundings and make the speaker sound the same no matter where one uses it.

I'm a bit pressed for time right now but I'm pretty sure there is a graph for each of the different frequency curves and if someone else doesn't find and post them, I will look later this evening.

Personally I think whatever type of sound you would play through the S1, it would be reproduced very close to the original recording, regardless of speaker position, with the possible exception of the monitor position, because it is treated to help with voice clarity and feedback resistance.  

I would be curious to know more about the recordings you will use, and how they were made.

In my experience with pets, farm animals, and even the song birds outside my house right now, they adapt very quickly to the normal ambient noise and keep right on singing through slamming doors, sirens, loud cars on the street and the whining of truck wheels a mile away on the interstate. However, the silence of my stalking cat will shut them up every time. It might be much different for non migrating birds in a less inhabited region. 

As we learn more about the S1, please feel free to share some info about your work.

O..

Hi Yale,

http://toonz.ca/bose/wiki/inde...1_Pro_system_Auto_EQ

If you go to the above link you will find some good info about the auto eq.

It says there that the pole switch effectively puts the S1 in a flat response.

In my mind I was thinking the pole switch was the position with the most bass. Considering all other positions show a cut in the 100Hz range, then flat response while pole mounted would be more bass than those other positions , but still the flat response you are looking for.

O..

Hi, Yael.

Welcome to the Bose Portable PA Community.

Oldghm has already given you some great information.

@YL_birds posted:

Hello,

My name is Yael and I am a researcher at the Ben-Gurion Uni of the Negev.

I delighted you joined us.

I am looking for advice regarding the most suitable speaker for a field study I am conducting, focusing on the effect of noise pollution on songbirds in natural habitats.

That's an interesting project.  I spend a lot of time outdoors these days and enjoy the songbirds as part of that experience.

I was wondering if the S1 can fit my purposes but couldn't find the specs of the frequency response curve.

Bose has not published the frequency response plot for the S1 Pro.

It is important that the speaker will have a flat frequency response between 100Hz-10KHz (as flat as possible, most important range: 100Hz-5KHz).

The design intent is to accurately reproduce sounds provided at the input - to the output. This is specifically intended for the human vocal range and instruments like an acoustic guitar.

Any other Bose speaker that fits this description? (must be portable - i.e. lightweight, battery, etc.)

The S1 Pro is the only professional audio product that is lightweight, runs on battery, with multiple inputs.

I know it is hard to find for such 'flat' portable speakers but maybe someone here could help me with this?
Thanks a lot in advance

Yael

As Oldghm has said, there are four EQ curves. The baseline is when the S1 Pro is on a speaker stand (or you activate the switch in the pole cup). The other three are described in the S1 Pro Auto EQ article.

The best way to know if the S1 Pro will meet your specific needs is to try it.

Please contact Bose Professional - Israel to find out about the Bose return policy in your region. 

Thanks,

ST

Thanks for the super detailed answers!

Super helpful and indeed seems like the right speaker for my needs.

Regarding some of your comments\questions:

Oldghm:
The recordings were made by professional acousticians, I cannot provide full info at this stage of the collaboration, unfortunately, as I don't yet have the full description of the recording methods.

Some birds do better than others in noisy environments (either species or individuals within a single species). When you observe a bird at a noisy site it also doesn't necessarily mean that it doesn't suffer any negative impacts  (reduced breeding success\ feeding rate\ body condition, elevated stress, and other impacts were previously found among birds at noisy habitats).

The link and your additional comment following it are very useful. Thanks!!!

ST:
The hearing range of songbirds is very similar to the human hearing range, although the weighting of the frequencies is a little different. Clearly, different species vary in their hearing capabilities. 

Thanks for the additional info and the link, I wasn't aware of the Israeli contacts.

Stay safe,
Yael

Neumann KH80 couldn’t be any flatter (or smaller)