Help with product selection, PLEASE

Hello all, I'm new to this forum.  I've been browsing through the posts for the past week or so gathering whatever info I can on the L1 systems.  I'm trying to determine what may be the best system to purchase without going way overboard.  My apologies for the very long post.

I'm currently part of a small church plant.  We meet each Sunday in a rented multipurpose room belonging to a local school.  The room doubles as gymnasium/performing arts theater.  The room is capable of seating about 200.  That said, we typically have about 30 people meet each Sunday.  We typically set up chairs towards one end of the room.  There is a lot of open space in this large room.  The school did a decent job of treating the room acoustically, but there is still a bit of reverberance in the room.

Most Sundays, I lead the worship service solo with my acoustic guitar.  I've been operating out of a Fishman LoudBox for the past year or so.  The sound is decent but very unidirectional, almost to the point of being distracting.  Occasionally, I've been accompanied by other singers.  Our hope is that other musicians may step forward in the future.Looking over the three L1 systems, I'm leaning towards the 1S with a B1 sub and T1 mixer. 

Looking over the three L1 systems, I'm leaning towards the 1S with a B1 sub and T1 mixer.  I considered the Compact but I feel like I would be basically replicating what I already have with the Fishman in terms of channel space.  Especially if I have to connect an external mixer to the system.  That's too much like what I'm already doing currently.  I really like what I'm reading about the capabilities of the T1 mixer.  How the T1 connects digitally to the 1S power base is really intriguing. My fear, however, is that the 1S may be too overpowering for where we are currently at attendance wise.  For those that have used the L1 1S in a small space: Is the system capable of being run at low volumes without creating a bell-like tone?  Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Jim,

Thank you for joining the Community. I'm glad that you're here.

Jim_McCrum posted:

Hello all, I'm new to this forum.  I've been browsing through the posts for the past week or so gathering whatever info I can on the L1 systems.  I'm trying to determine what may be the best system to purchase without going way overboard.  My apologies for the very long post.

I'm currently part of a small church plant.  We meet each Sunday in a rented multipurpose room belonging to a local school.  The room doubles as gymnasium/performing arts theater.  The room is capable of seating about 200.

What are the dimensions of the room? (Length, Width, Height).

Is there a stage? Is it raised? How high?

That said, we typically have about 30 people meet each Sunday.  We typically set up chairs towards one end of the room.  There is a lot of open space in this large room.  The school did a decent job of treating the room acoustically, but there is still a bit of reverberance in the room.

Most Sundays, I lead the worship service solo with my acoustic guitar.  I've been operating out of a Fishman LoudBox for the past year or so.  The sound is decent but very unidirectional, almost to the point of being distracting.  Occasionally, I've been accompanied by other singers.  Our hope is that other musicians may step forward in the future.Looking over the three L1 systems, I'm leaning towards the 1S with a B1 sub and T1 mixer. 

This is where the question of dimensions of the room are important.  If you plan to stay in this room until you outgrow its capacity, then we need to know the greatest distance between the performers and the listeners.

Looking over the three L1 systems, I'm leaning towards the 1S with a B1 sub and T1 mixer.  I considered the Compact but I feel like I would be basically replicating what I already have with the Fishman in terms of channel space.  Especially if I have to connect an external mixer to the system.  That's too much like what I'm already doing currently.

Agreed.

I really like what I'm reading about the capabilities of the T1 mixer.  How the T1 connects digitally to the 1S power base is really intriguing. My fear, however, is that the 1S may be too overpowering for where we are currently at attendance wise.

You can run the L1® Model 1S as low as you need to accommodate the space and the listeners.

For those that have used the L1 1S in a small space: Is the system capable of being run at low volumes without creating a bell-like tone?  Any input would be greatly appreciated.

The L1® Model 1S can sound great a low volume. I have one sitting 15 feet behind me right now. I use it to listen to all kinds of music at low and moderate volume. I don't have to turn it up to get the full tone that it's capable of delivering.  

You mention a bell-like tone. Do you mean that hollow-ringy sound you get in a highly reverberant space? If so, this shouldn't be a problem with the L1® Model 1S.

You will find that if your 30 people can hear the L1® well, that people much farther away will be able to hear it too. 

I know a group of people who use an L1® Model II with T1® and B1 in a performance space suitable for 250. They also use in for tiny gatherings in people's living rooms.

Please tell us about the dimensions of the room, if there is a stage, and if all the seating is on the same level (chairs on floor or multi-levels).

Thanks,

ST

Thank you ST. The room dimensions are roughly 40' deep by 80' wide. There is a stage area centered on one of the 80' walls. The stage extends back another 16' or so. It's raised about 3-4'. We don't use the stage. We set up on the floor. My intent is to place the sound system on the floor.  Near but not against the wall behind us where we set up. The maximum depth of throw would be about 36' but there's potentially a wide disbursement that could be necessary down the road if and when we grow in numbers.  The pedestal height of the array should be tall enough. At this point the plan is to stay put. We rent the space for about two hours every Sunday and the rates are very reasonable. At some point we would love to get our own space. Based on your experience with operating the system at lower volumes, the L1 1S may fit the bill. I want something at least somewhat future proof for growth down the road. 

Hi Jim,

Perfect fit!

Jim_McCrum posted:

Thank you ST. The room dimensions are roughly 40' deep by 80' wide. There is a stage area centered on one of the 80' walls. The stage extends back another 16' or so. It's raised about 3-4'. We don't use the stage. We set up on the floor. My intent is to place the sound system on the floor.  

This will work well. It is best if the listeners' ears are at the same height as the of the Cylindrical Radiator® array.  The active part of the vertical tower is from 40" to 80" from the floor. If you were set up on the 3-4' stage, then you would need an L1® Model II. 

Near but not against the wall behind us where we set up. The maximum depth of throw would be about 36' but there's potentially a wide disbursement that could be necessary down the road if and when we grow in numbers.

36 feet is well within the effective range of the L1® Model 1S.

The wide dispersion is where all the L1® models excel. You've got room to grow. 

The pedestal height of the array should be tall enough. At this point the plan is to stay put. We rent the space for about two hours every Sunday and the rates are very reasonable. At some point we would love to get our own space. Based on your experience with operating the system at lower volumes, the L1 1S may fit the bill. I want something at least somewhat future proof for growth down the road. 

The L1® Model 1S sounds like a great fit for you now and as you fill up this space. While the room is largely empty, the B1 is appropriate.

Future proof?

• If you plan to add a bass guitar or have keyboards with lots of material in the low registers, then consider getting a B2 instead of a B1. You don't need it now. You might need it if you fill this room.
  • When you outgrow this space, you may want to consider and L1® Model II.

How's that?

ST

That's awesome, ST. Thanks for all the input. The room seems to be a little bass heavy so I figured the B1 would be sufficient for now. Based on the specs, sounds like I could always add a second B1 down the road if needed. I just order the system last night off Sweetwater. I started to second guess by decision. Sound like it was the right one all along. Once we take delivery and run our first Sunday with it, I'll let you in on the results. Thanks again. 

Hi Jim,

Yes, please come back and tell us what you hear and how you like it.

Thanks,

ST

Hi there, Can someone help me with product selection; I've had headphones on my head my whole life. All I do is listen to music.

I love the idea of noise cancelling!..which I've only just recently discovered.

All that said, I've only ever used headphones that had jacks. Plug into my player, now into my phone. I still use an MP3 player, although to some obsolete. I find that a phone can be taxing..(carrying around) As is a player now..(downloading onto PC,then to player.)..

Can someone suggest which headphones I can buy..along with which device? 

Keeping in mind I'm not familiar with Bluetooth. I just want to plug them in and hear awesome sound quality. I've wanted Bose forever..

Aside from that, was there a time when Bose used to be called Boss?

Many thanks!

This is probably not the right spot for your post. This forum is for people that use Bose products in a professional setting. Try the following link: https://community.bose.com/t5/Headphones/ct-p/headphones

Take care!