How to achieve 'boom' sound with stomp box through B1 bass module with T4S mixer

Good evening all,

I am hoping for a little bit of help with my live sound setup.

I currently use the L1 Model 1S with B1 bass module, along with a T4S mixer for my live performance.

I use vocals (SM58), acoustic guitar (Gibson J-45), and a stomp box/drum pedal (Logjam Logarhythm).

I am trying to achieve a very 'subby', low frequency 'boom' sound out of the Logjam, but just seem to be having difficulty in mixing to achieve. My understanding is that the low end of the frequency response of the B1 is 40hz, which I believe should give me the sound that I am after. (If you are familiar, Gerry Cinnamon has the bass sound I am trying to emulate).

Does anybody know the best setting to use on the T4S mixer? Do I need to update it? (only recently purchased and haven't done any update on it at all). Should I be changing anything in zEQ?

Bit of a noob to sound tech - any help would be much appreciated.

I also like the bass to be slightly louder than the guitar and vocals - so that it really stands out when I use it during, for example, a chorus in an upbeat song. Whenever I try to achieve this I seem to get unmanageable feedback which has resorted to me not being able to use the system how I would ideally like to - I invested the system purely because I thought it would perfectly suit what I was trying to achieve.

Thank you in advance for any help or advice you can offer!

Hi, JamesRiley.

Welcome to the Bose Portable PA Community.

JamesRiley posted:

Good evening all,

I am hoping for a little bit of help with my live sound setup.

I currently use the L1 Model 1S with B1 bass module, along with a T4S mixer for my live performance.

Congratulations!

Please make sure your T4S is up to date. See

T4S Firmware Update Instructions

And here is a link to information that goes beyond the T4S Owner's Guide.

T4S ToneMatch Mixer

I use vocals (SM58), acoustic guitar (Gibson J-45), and a stomp box/drum pedal (Logjam Logarhythm).

Thanks for all the great information.

I am trying to achieve a very 'subby', low frequency 'boom' sound out of the Logjam, but just seem to be having difficulty in mixing to achieve. My understanding is that the low end of the frequency response of the B1 is 40hz,

Yes, 40 Hz.

which I believe should give me the sound that I am after.

I use something similar (Porchboard Bass) and get great results with the B1

(If you are familiar, Gerry Cinnamon has the bass sound I am trying to emulate).

Does anybody know the best setting to use on the T4S mixer? Do I need to update it? (only recently purchased and haven't done any update on it at all).

Do the firmware update (first link above).

Should I be changing anything in zEQ?

Select CH EDIT for the channel you are using for the Logjam Logarhythm.

Turn the Rotary Selector to ToneMatch.

Choose the Category: Percussion

Try the different Presets for Kick Drum

Find the one you like best, then fine-tune with zEQ if necessary.

If you don't find anything you like in the Percussion Category, just choose the Category: Utility, Preset: Flat

And use zEQ.

Bit of a noob to sound tech - any help would be much appreciated.

I also like the bass to be slightly louder than the guitar and vocals - so that it really stands out when I use it during, for example, a chorus in an upbeat song. Whenever I try to achieve this I seem to get unmanageable feedback which has resorted to me not being able to use the system how I would ideally like to - I invested the system purely because I thought it would perfectly suit what I was trying to achieve.

What kind of feedback? Is it low-end feedback (likely the guitar), or high-end squeal (likely the microphone), or something else. Please describe it.

Thank you in advance for any help or advice you can offer!

Cheers,

ST

Thanks for the helpful advice. The feedback I get I am pretty sure is from the guitar. I struggle to manage to get the volume past 12 o clock without getting major low end feedback

In the past, I’ve successfully tried a sound hole cover to avoid acoustic guitar feedback at higher volume levels. There may be better settings to use on the T4. At least something simple to try.

Hi, JamesRiley,

JamesRiley posted:

Thanks for the helpful advice. The feedback I get I am pretty sure is from the guitar. I struggle to manage to get the volume past 12 o clock without getting major low end feedback

What ToneMatch Preset are you using for the Gibson J45 guitar?

Have you tried using the zEQ on the guitar channel?

Try changing your (guitar) position in relation to the B1. (farther away)

Or consider using a soundhole cover.

There is a ToneMatch Preset for a Gibson J45, but I doubt that will solve an issue with feedback. Let's solve the feedback issue first.

ST

Edit - CityFolk and I were typing at the same time. He was quicker.

For what it’s worth, when I use my Roland SPD one, I make sure to engage a gate (kick 1 preset) on that channel and keep the tightness up around 80-90%...seems to really help any kick sound you put through the bose stuff.

-Dylan

@Dcaugust Thank you for your reply - when you say you 'engage a gate', what exactly do you mean? In my presets for percussion there are a few but none ever seem to suit what I am trying to get. Where is the section for 'tightness'?

@ST thank you - I have now done the firmware update. I do have a feedback supressor for my J45.

My question I guess is, what should I be doing in zEQ to manipulate the sound of the stomp box, in order to obtain the bassy, subby 'boom' sound.

I've tried all of the percussion presets and none seem to cut it. Although 'general overhead' occasionally works, more often than not it does not

You have to turn the rotary knob to the compressor/gate section and then select a specific gate preset...then you will see option for tightness

Hi, JamesRiley,

JamesRiley posted:

@ST thank you - I have now done the firmware update. I do have a feedback supressor for my J45.

Great.

My question I guess is, what should I be doing in zEQ to manipulate the sound of the stomp box, in order to obtain the bassy, subby 'boom' sound.

I've tried all of the percussion presets and none seem to cut it. Although 'general overhead' occasionally works, more often than not it does not

I don't have specific recommendations on how to obtain a bassy, subby 'boom' sound.  I think you'll have to experiment at your end.

Start with the ToneMatch Preset that sounds best to you. That might be

Category: Utility
Preset: Flat

Then explore zEQ and ParaEQ. Please let us know if you hit on some settings you like.

Thanks,

ST