How to: Send wireless audio to a remote Compact?

I’ve searched the forums but haven’t been able to find a answer to this question. I’ve tried following the directions in the post entitled “T1 Tonematch – Master out” by Desidi but that didn’t seem to answer my question unless I’m doing something wrong.

Question: How do you configure the T1 to send wireless audio to a remote Compact?

Scenario- Wedding Reception with dining room upstairs with cocktails and dancing downstairs, There’s no way to run wires because the building is an old converted alumni dining hall.

My Equipment:

Setup in Main Hall-

* L1 M1 W 2 B1’s
* Shure PGX SM58 Wireless Mic
* Shure SM58 Wired Mic
* Tone Match Mixer
* Software Controller

In Dining Room-

* 2 Bose Compacts Daisy Chained together, 20 feet apart.
* Wireless Receiver - Sennheiser ew 172 G3 UHF Wireless Instrument Set (Receiver? Compact Ch2 ¼)
* Audio-Technica wireless handheld mic ? Ch1 (For Toasts)

The last time I worked at this venue, I ran the Sennheizer body pack transmitter out of my Numark ICDMIX2 Booth Out. The sound coming out of the compact was great and I was able to remotely control the Compacts volume from my mixer. Also, any general announcements I made from downstairs were transmitted to the compacts perfectly because the Numark has a separate mic volume control with EQ. I used an Audio Technica wireless mic for announcements when I was upstairs with the receiver plugged into Ch 1 of the remote Compact. I think the Shure PGX wireless from downstairs would have had the range to work upstairs but I didn’t want to chance it since this was my first time running remote. I used the Numark’s built in sound card for everything including running master volume to the 1/4 in on my L1 Model 2.

I’d like to try using my T1 so that I’ll have more input options and control over the sound of my L1.

I thought that I had actually found the right setting to the T1 question a while back when I was putzing around but I can’t for the life of me remember what I did. I’ve since experimented with hooking the Sennheizer transmitter to the Master out of the T1 and the sound at the Compact was garbled and definitely not acceptable. I can’t seem to figure out what I’m doing wrong. Should I be coming from the AUX out instead if yes, what would the setting in the T1 be?

Side Note: I set up the Numark mixer to see if I could recreate the setting I used before and whala, the sound coming from the remote compact is crystal clear. With no audio playing through the Compact, there is no white noise even if I turn the channel 2 knob up to 1Red Faceo. beyond that I can hear a little white noise, (To be expected) but I have never needed to turn the Compacts beyond 1:00.

Set-up:

* Receiver 1/4" line out to Compact 1/4" line in with tonne match button set to “Line”. The Sennheizer doesn’t have a line/mic switch so somehow internally the system knows what to do because I also use this same receiver and body pack with a lavalier and headset mic and they sound as good as the Shure PGX system.
* Transmitter connected to mixer booth out (Left channel) Needed a 1/4" – RCA adapter for this.

I’d not hesitate to use this system to wire an Officiant at a wedding as an alternative to using my tried and trusted Shure PGX.

Hi ProfLowery,

Is THIS the transmitter that you are connecting to the T1 Master output?

Sennheiser ew 172 G3

And you have the receiver going to Compact Channel 2?

If it is not, can you provide a link to the manual for the transmitter/receiver that you are connecting to the T1 Master Output.

quote:
Is THIS the transmitter that you are connecting to the T1 Master output?

Sennheiser ew 172 G3

And you have the receiver going to Compact Channel 2?

ST - Yes, that it exactly.

I would check that you are NOT overloading the transmitter.

The following images are snipped from the manual for the Sennheiser EW100G3

1. Check to see that you are not overmodulating the transmitter.

Close up view of the transmitter.

2. You should be able to adjust the input sensitivity (see pages 26 & 27 of the manual)

Even if it does not appear that you are overmodulating the front end of the transmitter, I would still try going into the operating menu and turning down the sensitivity of the input.

The output of the T1 is balanced mono tip-ring-sleeve.

While we are talking about I would try a 1/4 tip-sleeve connection at the T1® end of things. That will avoid issues that might arise if you are going T1® tip-ring-sleeve to transmitter tip-ring-sleeve (probably a very hot signal, or possibly 180° out of phase).

Thanks ST-

I’ll tinker around this weekend and will report back.

Hi ProfLowery,

quote:
Originally posted by ProfLowery:
quote:
Hi ProfLowerey,

Are these suggestions not helping?

ST- I’ve been both giging and traveling a lot the last 3 weeks so haven’t had much time to experiment. I’ll let you know how I make out.

I was hoping that another T1 user on the forums has proven that you can send audio wirelsesly from a T1. I assume it can be done but I haven’t read about anyone else doing it on the Bose forum. Do you know if in fact it can be done?

Yes, I can be done. I’ve done it with several different wireless rigs.
quote:

As I’ve written before, I’ve have been able to send audio with no problem from two other mixers without having to tweak the transmitter settings.

Can’t reasonably speculate on why that would be. We don’t have enough information.

quote:

So I must confess that, until I have more time, I’m a little nervous about messing around on the transmitter end for fear of messing up the settings that I know work.

It looks like the default setting for transmitter is for a microphone.

You can tell if you are overloading the input, and you don’t need to change your settings to check that. Please see my post above.

If you are overloading the input I think that you will have to do something different to fix the problem, and the settings on the transmitter are there so you can match the transmitter’s input to your signal source.
quote:

Naw-T-Boy: I hope this isn’t a “Hijack” of your thread.

Replying here so we don’t hijack Naw-T-Boy’s discussion.