Is it the end of the waveguide?

So following the withdrawal of the soundtouch series,  have we seen the end of the large bose waveguide such as in the soundock 10 and soundtouch 30?

If so this would be a real shame because its one of a kind and has such a nice sound signature and power in its delivery. 

I have been fascinated by this setup since i first heard the large bose waveguide in the sounddock 10 which was my inspiration to buy the large soundtouch 30 when i saw that familiar vent on the back which could mean only one thing (that theres a large woofer connected to a waveguide promising some almighty bass with detail) 

I really hope there will be new products in the future utilising this waveguide because to me thats what bose is, the only modern company to do it, there are tons of boring mediocre sounding two speaker kitchen radios already, so please bose bring back the thump!   So i have something to buy in the future. 

Mat. 

Have you auditioned the Bose Portable or Smart 500? 

I dont believe the smart 500 has a waveguide in the same sense that the soundtouch 20/30 does.

I think it just has two stereo speakers unless im wrong. 

Mat. 

No i havent tried the home 500, its not so easy now they are not in the shops anymore as i live on a houseboat so mail order is not an option for me. 

I have listened to both. The 500 is fairly tight sounding in the electronics store on display, but would loosen up in the home setting as the two drivers would be beating out sound against nearby opposing walls - in theory.

The portable speaker however is a bassy unit with three passive radiators putting out sound in a 360 degree pattern. The portable speaker can be plugged in and run like a fixed network speaker with all the trimmings.

For a houseboat consider the portable speaker, at least you could carry it outside on the deck in battery mode for some outside listening.

While the Smart Home 500 and Portable speakers do offer a degree of deep bass sound, I would hazard a guess the older Waveguide speakers and bass models would have fuller sound. 

Thanks, i currently have the soundtouch30 on my boat and it hits hard in the bass extending down to atleast 60hz if not lower, i think the exact rolloff is controlled by the dsp analytics it seems to go even lower when it is able to without distortion, its hard to explain what the waveguide sounds like but i suppose the easiest way would be effortless, the bass never runs out and it will properly shake the walls at any volume, it can get so loud its more like a PA speaker with hard hitting mid range punch which you feel in your chest and very decent bass extension, mainly because of the powerfull subwoofer connected to the waveguide,  basically in my opinion that series and the soundock 10 which the soundtouch 30 is based on, is their best work, i really cant see pasive radiators with no active sub getting close.

If you can find one give the sountouch 30 a demo and you will see what i mean, i really cant understand why a company gets it spot on and then goes backwards but hey ho what can you do. 

I have two ST30’s and one ST10. I agree the ST 30 is bassy and a good sounding piece of kit. I am not sure that, sonically, the Smart Home 500 is a match for the ST30. It’s just physics. Look and the chassis sizes of each speaker. That says it all.

Passive radiators seem to be more popular with the newer, compact spatial type speakers. Again no match for a 6-8in driver and wave guides. Incidentally I have a pair of Companion 20 speakers. Waveguides give the added bass to those speakers quite nicely.  

Bose , like other speakers makers like Apple, prefer more spatial sounding speakers these days. Think 180 and 360 degree. Passive radiators are used quite effectively. Same for my Bose Portable speaker.

180 and 360 degree sound limits my spacing for a main speaker as my router sits right next to the speaker. So side firing drivers as in the SH500 won’t do the job. My ST 30 on the hand sits nicely on a small cabinet along side an XB7 Comcast router and uses the back wall for reflection - old school.

Bose does seem to be heading in the direction of more mobile sveltier design these days. Seems the tabletop, bookshelf speakers are evolving in design.