Karaoke in Portable PA

Hi Guys,

I’m thinking about beginning to offer karaoke. I don’t know what I need. Are there files you can buy that will play the backing track and show the lyrics on a video monitor?

I’m hoping there’s some way to do this with my existing audio and computer equipment. I’d prefer not to have to buy specific karaoke gear.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan

I do karaoke one night a week and during DJ gigs if the customer wants it. You can download mp3 G files on the internet at a couple of sites but it is expensive. If you want to do a club karaoke you need to have a CD G player that can play the customers discs that they may bring in. I use OTS AV DJ software for my DJ and karaoke needs. That way I use my laptop for most of the songs and music in between karaoke. The best way to get started is to buy a couple of karaoke CD albums like DK and start adding to your song list. You need to have a least several thousand songs to start out. Good luck.

To get you started…Download WinAmp with the Karaoke plugin. (all free) then buy the $10 plugin called “Pacemaker” for key and tempo change.
Ripp CDG’s with Audiograbber and you’re good to go.
Sound choice offers a 6000 song “Starter set” for around $4500 or so. That’s less than $1 a song.

I am so glad I got out of Karaoke. Small town bars do not want to pay anything, so many DJs doing it and it just isn’t a good add on for weddings IMHO. And I am just not a bar guy.

Good luck.

oh, don’t worry. i’m not looking to become a KJ. i’m really getting it for a friend’s birthday party and may offer it for Sweet Sixteens and Bar/Bat Mitzvahs. However, the answers to this post have me having second thoughts.

Does anyone know the sites Randy was referring to where you can buy the files online?

Like an itunes for MP3=G files?

Hi Ken MacKay,

Thank you for joining the Bose Portable PA Community.  Welcome.

Ken MacKay posted:

I have purchased an L1 and would like to know how to connect my laptop, TV, mixer and mics to the L1 to run karaoke. Can someone walk me through the process , what I will need and what to do. Thanks!! I know I am asking alot.

What model L1 do you have?

Do you have a ToneMatch mixer, what model?

Please tell us the make and model and give us a link to the owners guide for

• TV
  • Mixer
  • Microphones
  • Laptop

Thank you,

ST

Take a look at Party Tyme and Karaoke Cloud Pro services. It’s the closest you will find to an “iTunes Karaoke”