L1 Pro 16 "wobbly column" with the extension fitted

I am a member of a 3 piece band. Acoustic guitar, electric bass, and electronic drums. All of us sing as well. All instruments and vocals are connected to a Bose T8S mixer then to an L1 system. The normal system we used was the L1 Model II with one B2 Bass module. I have recently purchased the L1 Pro 16 and we are all very happy with the sound quality of the system. The column does have a “wobble” but still seems very sturdy. Our usual setup has the speaker system behind us so there is very minimal risk of anyone bumping into it. The power and quality of the L1 Pro 16 is more than sufficient for most of our gigs with the added feature of better portability. I am well pleased with my purchase. As a side note, I also currently own (2) L1 Model II with B2 Bass Module, (2) S1 Pro, (1) L1 Compact. My brother (guitar) and I (drums) have been band mates since 1981 and have been using Bose systems for over 10 years. As I get older, portability becomes a major issue. Bose PA systems have met and even surpassed our expectations for vocal clarity and sound dispersion and the L1 Pro 16 is an asset we will definitely use the most.

Hi, Tony. I don’t own a Pro16. I tested it, compared it to my Model 2, and decided to stick with the Model 2 for the following reasons: (1) the heaviest piece is the power supply or the B1, each coming in at about 25 pounds. The base of the Pro 16 is heavier (46 pounds?), so I actually find the Model 2 (with a B1) to be more portable; (2) I liked the idea of the built in mixer but they left out the midrange EQ, which I need for my guitar sound. Sure I could plug in a T1 / T4S but then I might as well stick to the Model 2 for that; (3) there is a white noise audible when everything is quiet on the Pro 16 (and Pro 8 ) with nothing plugged in which can be heard getting louder and softer as you raise the volume. It is not a show stopper and you or the audience won’t likely hear it at a gig, but I can certainly hear it in a quiet room and there is no such noise with the Model 2. And (4) between the bracket for the T1 and the Wallacher guitar hanger, having the mixer and the guitar directly attached to the column results in the smallest stage footprint! So I stuck with the Model 2 🙂

Note: the wobble of the Pro 16 was NOT an issue for me at all and did not play a factor. I actually like the skinnier column. 

There's no white noise on my Pro 8 in fact it's extremely quite, and a the column's small amount of movement was soon fixed by a piece of tape around the bottom of the plastic extender.

Pdea23: That's awesome to hear 🙂 I may have had bad luck and gotten a Pro 8 and a Pro 16 with the noise. Oh well. Rock on!

TommyD33710: Imagination? I tested two systems side by side. One had noise and the other didn't. That's neither imagination nor tinnitus. Neither are the videos on YouTube made by others recording the noise. Sorry to disappoint, but this is unfortunately not imagined. Some systems are suffering from noise (some worse than others), and some are not, which is good to hear. I want the L1 Pros to succeed, even if I'm sticking with the Model II for the reasons I stated.

Hi Everyone, Thanks for the reply. Seems there are some mixed comments about the system. Some folks like and others not. Starting to get confusing actually and here in the UK non of the music shops are open for any demo....just Click and Collect. I'll probably hold off for now and see where I go with it.

Thank you all for the input, Tony

Hi Eric!

Any wobbly thing does not last over time. It WILL become even more wobbly in the long run

Roland

Hi Roland,

I do agree.

However my column is sitting nice and snug on the base.

It doesn't wobble by itself and I do not intent to constantly stand next to my Bose and move it back and forth.

Time will tell, however I do have faith that my Bose will last a long time.

I was thinking the same  thing. But I have a Pro 8.....I think because of the length of the extension in relation to the speaker array. It could prove unstable. The extension is shorter in relation to the speakers. So I compared it to my pro 8. Big difference.............the extension for the 8 is a lot longer 34 inches and the array is 23 inches. It seems  a lot more secure than the 16 pro's set up. I can see the concern with the 16......good luck......

I went to guitar center today to try out and purchase the BOSE l1 pro 16. After examining the unit on display and noticing the wobbly speaker pole . I walked out of the store and decided not to buy. I've gigged with my Bose l1 mod 2 /B2 for over ten years . And I guess I'll continue with it. I also owned the Bose l1 classic . Never experienced any sloppy movement of the tower. Very disappointed . BOse YOU CAN DO BETTER. Maybe a retrofit aluminun spacer pole with an aluminun bar like the L1 mod 2 ! Then I'll give it another look. 

I'm not sure why this topic is labeled solved.  I would also love to see a metal extender section released for us who have taken the risk.  My Pro16 is on the way.  I am also concerned with the hiss/noise but if I remember correctly my L1 original had a bit of that too.

I agree that the Bose sound is unique , that’s why I own several Bose systems but the wobbling of these extensions are un acceptable from a company that brags about their products . If these columns wobble so much brand new image when they get used over and over again. I own also two Ev’s 50 and the columns are very stable with much better connectors at a much better price ..I hope Bose can fix these issues soon . Once again I love Bose products and will continue to buy in the future. I strongly believe that not much time was spent in the design of the Pro Series…

I own the L1M2/B2.  I went to Guitar Center to check out the Pro16.  There is an unacceptable amount of play in the column, over an inch!  Bose says this is normal for any array but the Compact and the L1M2 did not have this issue.  I understand Bose is trying to save weight but doing away with the bayonet support in back of the column that the L1M2 has was a big mistake. I hope it wasn't a money saving tactic on their end especially since the Pro16 has a premium price.  When I buy a new product I expect it to get better not a step down in ANY area.  I went with the Pro32 which doesn't have this issue - very happy with my purchase!

I, too, tested the Pro16 wobble at a local store. I wasn't very happy with it. However, bear in mind at this point lots of savvy users are doing the same thing to the same unit, so whatever wobble it starts with gets aggravated over time.

I think the earlier designs were superior, and current competing designs are better, like the Evolves' (that is, regarding stick stability). I strongly doubt the Pro16's connections will fail to work, it just looks and feels sloppy, and that's not what most customers want after spending that kind of money.

But plenty of users don't think this is a problem. Folks have different tolerances and I expect there's some manufacturing variability too.