My qc35 ii turns on by itself

Before creating a new topic, please search the Community to avoid creating duplicate threads. If you are posting about a problem, the more of the below details you can include (if applicable) the easier it will be for others to try and help. Go to https://bose.life/2K1GbJl for a helpful post on how to find relevant information, including your firmware and app version information!

Bose product name

qc 35 ii

Country

US

Firmware Version

App Version

What devices were you using that were affected and what version are they on (e.g. Samsung Galaxy S9 on Android 11, iPhone X on iOS14, etc.)
Samsung Galaxy Fold

Detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce

My qc 35 ii turns on by itself when its power switch is placed to be off. After turns the power switch to off, after about 10seconds or less, battery indicator turns on indicating the power in on and gets connected to my cell phone. In order to turn off, I turn on the power switch on and off again which turns the headphone off, however, it turns on on its on again. 

What environment do you experience the issue in? (e.g. noisy office, quiet kitchen, etc.)

Anywhere, quiet or loud. 

When did you start to experience the issue? Did it work correctly previously?

It happened as I started using the headphone again recently after several months. it worked fine before.

Any troubleshooting steps you took

I tried resetting the device as Bose repair suggested which did not solve the issue and as I was trying to send the product for service, the service request button did not lead me anywhere. 

Sorry for confusion, Yes, the problem came back.

Hello tub79558,

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the Bose Community! 

I am so sorry you are having this issue. As you have tried all troubleshooting steps, the best option here would be to reach out to your local customer support center and explore the service options for your headset. You can do this by clicking this link here, selecting your region, scrolling to the bottom of the page, and selecting contact us. If you are in the US or UK you can also reach out via Facebook or Twitter and one of our team can help you there. Or you can book in an exchange on the UK or US website by selecting the option under the 'Support Tab'. 

(I do not work for Bose)

It seems that it may be possible that some number of QC35ii's share inventory with the QC35i.  The behavior you are seeing is most notably associated with faulty QC35i switches with slipping contacts.

If that is indeed your issue, there is NO workaround - this is a 2 year known hardware issue.  Bose a year or so back even said it could not be fixed by firmware or standard troubleshooting.  If this is indeed your problem you only have to options: (1) fix it yourself with instructions and pictures elsewhere in this community or on other Internet sites or (2) call Bose and have them exchange it for another you.  If your unit is out of warranty, they will offer an exchange for a rather high (in most people's opinion) price.  There many who have shared here if they keep calling and escalating explaining this is a known issue for a class of QC35 users, you may eventually get a representative who will exchange at no cost 'this one time'.  But you need to be persistent.

I remember when I did my exchange in Dec 2018, it 'seemed to me' that the pressure required to push the switch from left to right for a QC35i was much less than a QC35ii.  That may or may not have something to do with identifying a faulty switch.  I'm only a users and could not extensively test. 🙂

Huh, when I googled for this issue, this thread did not turn up.

in any case, does anyone know if the slipping switch failure described above manifests as the exterior plastic slide moving on its own? Because in my case, it remains firmly in the off position. I have to slide it on and back off in order to turn my headset off.

(I do not work for Bose)

Firstly Bose here has said, Bose does not recommend or support fixing it yourself - they want you to do an exchange (see option #2 in my discussion above).  If you want to DIY, you need to locate the instructions here or on some other well known video self help sites.  You will need to take the QC35 apart.

OK, but that doesn’t really answer my question about the switch. 

It is not the exterior switch.  happened to me at the end of 2018.  as you said the on/off is firm and flipping it on and off will turn it off.  it's the contacts inside.  all I can say is that there are only two alternatives - you fix it yourself or exchange it with Bose.