New Lifestyle 650 Play Music & Watch TV @ Sametime

We just upgraded to the Lifestyle 650. Is it possible to play music and watch TV at the sametime? Our old Bose Lifestyle we were able too. Very disappointing if we are not able too. 

Thanks! 

Watching either directly from TV or sources plugged into the TV then yes, if source cable is plugged in console, then no.

wrote:

Our old Bose Lifestyle we were able too.

What old Lifestyle system could do this? All the one's I've owned couldn't.

Radio source from console or soundtouch adapter, using the TV remote to watch free view etc 

I'm not that familiar with the Bose Lifetyle 650, but if you plug all your input devices into your TV HDMI in's, you can probably do what you want.  Your TV can display the video from one source while you pass audio through the TV to your Bose from another source.  I've done this with my Bose Soundtouch 300 connected to LG C7P OLED TV.

EDIT:  As I think about this, it might be that I was sending audio to my Bose Soundtouch 300 via bluetooth or Airplay while watching TV, so I may not be totally correct in what I posted above.

The 38.

https://www.bose.com/en_us/support/products/bose_home_theater_support/bose_5_speaker_home_theater_support/ls38_series1.html

pretty disappointed we can’t do it on the new one. I think we are gonna switch to Sonos even though I wanted to continue with Bose which I’ve had my whole life. 

Still not doing. Basically I want to watch football and listen to music from Pandora on my iPhone. It keeps taking me to the Bose “source” on my TV. Whether I connect to the SoundTouch or Lifestyle. Very frustrating.

wrote:

Still not doing. Basically I want to watch football and listen to music from Pandora on my iPhone. It keeps taking me to the Bose “source” on my TV. Whether I connect to the SoundTouch or Lifestyle. Very frustrating.

The only way that I can see this happen is if you connect the source(s) directly to your TV. If you did this you could use ARC or Optical to send the audio back to your Lifestyle system. That way you can listen to what you like while viewing whatever you want on your TV.

You could also get an HDMI splitter (with one in two outs) or an HDMI switch (with multiple in's and two outs) if your TV does not output 5.1 via ARC or Optical.

wrote:

Radio source from console or soundtouch adapter, using the TV remote to watch free view etc 

Ah, so you're not talking about a Lifestyle doing this. But a setup similar to what I explained above by using the TV independently to the Lifestyle system. Ok understood 🙂

wrote:

The 38. pretty disappointed we can’t do it on the new one. I think we are gonna switch to Sonos even though I wanted to continue with Bose which I’ve had my whole life. 

I have owned one of those, the 48 to be more specific. If you pass video through the Bose DVD receiver, as you are with the 650, then when you went to uMusic it would put the menu on the screen. It would not allow you to have the video of an external source you were watching play through the system while you were listening to another source (I think it also did this for music CD's but I cannot recall if it was a blank screen or not, as for radio... I do not remember at all).

AV18 / AV38 / AV48 receiverAV18 / AV38 / AV48 receiver

61xZlQGXpwL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

VS-2 (for AV18 / AV38 / AV48 receivers)VS-2 (for AV18 / AV38 / AV48 receivers)

61iqLafXx L._SL1500_.jpg

The only way that the uMusic systems worked as you said it did, would be as I mentioned in my first response by sending video to the TV and audio separately to the receiver. You have always had to use the TV independently with these receivers.

To my knowledge, all Bose receiver behaved the same way. When you changed source it changed both the audio and the video. Now, this is with the possible exception of Radio for the DVD receivers, as I cannot recall for sure what happened when you changed to it. But uMusic, Bluetooth, or SoundTouch has always behaved the same way.

As for your comment about Sonos, it does not pass through video. It does not include a receiver as the Lifestyle 650 does. The best they have is a soundbar and that relies on ARC or Optical from your TV's audio out. If you want the exact same functionality and limitations as that, then you are looking for the Bose SoundBar 700.

With that said, yes I would like a video passthrough mode. But I know there's a very simple workaround by connecting the Video to the TV as you would with a SoundBar and having a video passthrough mode might be confusing to others. It would be nice if there was an advanced mode that could be enabled on Bose systems, but sadly that is not the market they have ever catered to.

Did you try going into your TV setup and turning on your TV internal speakers and turning off your TV digital out to HDMI/Optical?  This will allow your TV to play video and audio independently of your Bose system.  Then, use AirPlay or SoundTouch to send Pandora from your phone to Bose.