Other Battery Powered Mixers

Anyone use battery powered mixers other than Behringer 1002B with the S1? How do you like them? We’ve seen some good reports on the Behringer, just wanted to hear of anything else being use out there.

Thanks for posting question. I’m also looked g for feedback on a simple battery powered 4 channel mixer. 

I also own a 4 channel battery powered Nady MM-14FX mixer. It has four unbalanced 1/4" T/S inputs and one 1/4" output. It has an on board delay effect that works on all 4 channels at the same time. I use quality high impedance microphones with mine, such as the Sony F-V620 600 ohm high impedance microphone and it's included 1/4" adapter. It's small footprint allows me to use a songbook stand to hold it. Plugging instruments into it require the added boos of active preamp DI equalizers.

CityFolk posted:

Anyone use battery powered mixers other than Behringer 1002B with the S1? How do you like them? We’ve seen some good reports on the Behringer, just wanted to hear of anything else being use out there.

In short, no! We use the 1002B out in the street and other small events. We need the AUX outputs this has to feed in-ear-monitors (also battery powered). We go through a lot of PP3 9V batteries...... and you also need a guitar pedal etc.

the longer answer is that most mixers with the capability you need will have to be powered by an external battery. We also have TC Helicon voice units which need 12V, so I built a the mixer and Voice units into a pedal box along with a 12V 7AH sealed lead-acid battery and mains charger. This gives at least 4 hours performance time. Also I brought out the 1002B batteries onto two external PP3 holders, so we don’t have to fiddle with the rather inaccessible battery cover underneath the mixer (as it is permanently fixed in the floor box).

The next build will use a Steinberg UR44 and 12V battery (as above). This has 4 built in guitar effects and vocal equalisation settings, all programmable by an iOS app called DSPMix, from Steinberg. It remembers the settings so you don’t have to set it up every time. Also supports 48V phantom power, it has two ‘IEM’ sockets with the MAIN mix and a CUSTOM mix.

And following that: an iPad loaded with guitar and vocal apps, along with backing apps (see ‘Backing Band’ on the Apple App Store) will keep me amused for a long time to come.... But this will need a USB adapter cable from the Pad to the UR44. And by using the AUM app you can get full control of the UR44 as a MIX screen, and IEM adjustment on the iPad.

I also considered the K-Mix from Keith McMillen Instruments, this needs only 5V USB power (like other modern mixers) which makes a standard USB power pack an option, but only has 2 XLR inputs but 8 mono AUX outputs, and their iOS app is not yet ready.

Hope that helps

Thanks For the detailed reply, Ric. How long does the battery last when performing with it?

Nady claims 20 hours. I've never used mine more than 3 hours, without recharging the 9V NiMH battery.

Very cool Tim-MK! That’s one interesting setup! Thanks for sharing.