QC-35 is paired to PC, but will not connect

I am aware that this has been a recent-ish issue (the most recent threads I could find about this are from January), but I've tried the solutions listed in past threads and they haven't worked for me. I am on Windows 10.

The problem:

Starting from a cleared device list and having removed the headphones on the 'Bluetooth & other devices' panel. I turn on the headphones and hear 'Ready to connect'. I find my headphones in the 'Add bluetooth or other device' pop-up panel and add them. I get a small box saying windows is setting up my device; after that, my headphones show up as 'Paired' under 'Audio' in the bluetooth panel. (Nothing from my headphones.) I click connect, my computer attemps to connect for a long while, then goes directly back to the 'Paired' state. (Nothing from my headphones.)

Attempted solutions:

1. I have tried clearing the device list, using 'remove device' on the 'bluetooth & other devices' panel, and re-adding the headphones multiple times

2. I have tried the 'restart headphones' method of turn off headphones for 30 seconds, plug in for 5 seconds, unplug (but leave off) for one minute. Still no dice.

3. I updated my headphones software during the 'plug in for 5 seconds' step of the above. They were definitely out of date, but updating them does not seem to have fixed anything.

4. I opened my computers Device Manager and did the 'right click -> update driver -> search automatically' thing for every item listed under 'Bluetooth' in Device Manager. I was told that everything is up to date. Still having issues with my headphones.

5. I turned bluetooth off on my computer, waited a few seconds, and then turned it back on (through the 'bluetooth & other devices' panel)

6. My computer does not appear to be in need of any system updates.

History, recent changes, and other context:

I bought these headphones in January of 2018. Initially I had them connected to my phone and my work computer, but they had trouble switching between the two, so I cleared the device list and connected them to my work and home computers. I have had no issues with them since then.

Three days ago I cleared the device list, re-downloaded the bose app on my phone, reconnected the headphones to my phone (for a long plane flight), and finally named my headphones through the mobile app. Two days ago I deleted the app from my phone. Today I updated the headphones for the first time and cleared the device list (see attempted solutions section above).

One thing I'm noticing that might be odd, is that in both the 'Bluetooth & other devices' and Device Manager panels, I'm seeing my headphones show up twice. In 'Bluetooth & other devices' it shows up under Audio (with the headphones icon) as Name, as well as under Other devices (with the phone and table icon) as LE-Name. In Device Manager -> Bluetooth, I see an entry for 'Name headphones' and 'LE-Name headphones'.

If anyone has any insight or possible solutions I have missed, please suggest them! Thank you.

My boyfriend has suggested that I reset the connections through the mobile app, so I have redownloaded the mobile app. With the app open, I turn on my headphones, hear 'ready to connect', see my headphones show up in the app and immediately swipe down. I have done this multipe times and I always get the message "Connection unsuccessful: Make sure Rosemarys headphones is turned on and in range".

I'm not sure what else to do here 😕

Hi Raeglyn,

Welcome to the Community and thanks for posting.

I'm sorry to hear that you're currently experiencing issues with your QuietComfort 35 headphones, but would love to help.

To clarify, have you cleared both the Bluetooth pairing list on your headphones and the computer? You can manually clear the Bluetooth pairing list on the headphones by sliding the power button toward the Bluetooth icon for 10 seconds until you hear "Bluetooth device list cleared". It is interesting that there are three instances of the headphones listed currently from the image provided, "LE-Rosemarys headphones", "Rosemarys headphones" and "Rosemarys headphones Avrcp Transport Adapter" - can you confirm that you have also deleted/removed all three of these prior to attempting to connect, or confirm what the variation of Transport Adapter may be?

As per the Solution HERE, can you confirm that the appropriate drivers have been installed?

Kind regards,

Andy - Community Support

**Need kind attention from bose tech team**

--Troubleshooting my end--

1.0)  when I remove and add Bluetooth device it says connected(attached screen1) Yet under sounds it remains disconnected. screenshots attached(screen0)
2) removed drivers through device manager restarted - no luck.
3) have done windows update no luck !
4) used troubleshoot through setting selected fix Bluetooth, it didn't help.
5) when I select update drivers through device manager ( it says I have the latest drivers).
6) paired/unpaired multiple times with system restarts
7)have done firmware upgrade - https://btu.bose.com

8)screen shots attached for device manager aswell( audiowear,arfcomm, etc has question marks, presume they are related to aug reality

I have run dell diagnostics, firmware required for dell hardware end and all drivers are up to date. Even contacted dell support team, it is purely
Issue seems like with bose/drivers after talking to dell and microsoft as others bt audio devices working fine.

/*system info: Its dell xps 15 9550

Would appreciate if you take a few mins of your time to review my troubleshooting steps mentioned and advice further or work through team viewer any screen share software

Thank You.

Hi Splendid123,

Thank you for the troubleshooting information, this is a great help.

Can you confirm - are you able to successfully pair the headphones to any other devices currently, such as a mobile phone, tablet or computer? Please also confirm if you are able to remove the previous instances of the headphones, as there currently appears to be three listed on the images you've provided.

I look forward to hearing back from you,

Andy - Community Support

Hi Andy,

sorry if I am interrupting Raeglyn thread/issue and the reason for continuing  is -  I have exact/similar issue (going through previous posts) thought it makes more sense posting here than starting a new thread.

coming to your questions, well a) yes my head phone working perfectly fine with other devices iphone/tabs etc the ISSUE is only with windows 10 pro on dell xps laptop. Also,

b) I was able to remove/unpair them under bluetooth devices when checked in devices under adding a device hardware/printer section it was not reflecting  and remaining details as in my previous thread.

Thank you.

Splendid123

update -- just fixed following below steps

(Hope it works for others too, please peform my previous steps if not done so i:e updating drivers/firmware for dell(your system)/windows/headphone, etc..) followed by below:

1) I have reset windows(as system restore failed) just to get rid of traces of previously removed apps/installations.
2)unpaired headphones(removed from bluetooth devices)
3)restarted system
5)unchecked Allow Bluetooth devices to find this PC(bluetooth and other devices-> bluetooth options->options->uncheck)
6)*Tried pairing after clearing the bluetooth list in headphone(hold head phone toggle switch for 10 sec) after checking tick(in step 5),
while it was connecting/pairing intentional moved toggle switch twice or thrice to interrupt it took longer time and tick got auto removed
was giving error that previous pairing was interrupted restarted system.
7)have checked allow blooth devices before pairing(disable system speaker - not just disabling and forcing earlier didnt work hence perfomed step 6) then paired it
and it WORKED THIS TIME.
8)enable system speaker(sound->playback->right click system speaker->enable) while bose headphone is connected restarted system bose headphones auto connected.

Regards,
Splendid123

Hi Splendid123,

Thanks for the continued information. 

Your symptoms sound similar to symptoms in this thread, HERE. Can you confirm that you've tested this solution? 

There are further troubleshooting support steps directly from Microsoft's website which I encourage you to look at, located HERE as other devices are able to successfully connect to the headphones, suggesting a compatibility issues specifically with the computer.

Kind regards,

Andy - Community Support

Before posting here I actually went through those both solutions you listed above along with others suggestions in this site they didnt work(tried multiple times as 126188#M18954 helped me when I had issues last time but not this time even after full restore to factory setting) and then followed exact sequence I mentioned in my previous thread it fixed.

Hi Andy,

I have been using bose headphones for 2 months now, had constant connection issues with qc 35 ii on my HP/Dell systems as well based on my experiences am pretty sure there is connectivity issue with this and needs a fix(even latest firmware didnt help). I am little confident using other system I connect it to get on with my work - never once I faced this issue with other bluetooth devices( even if there were any issues just unpairing and pairing fixed).  

To be honest I didnt expect to struggle so much investing almost a day resetting my system, getting in touch with dell/microsoft tech support.

Hope Bose development/tech team works together and keep customer expectations to the quality it maintains with its sound and prevent this connectivity nightmare specially with qc 35 II (have used bose sound link ii bluetooth speaker it was buttery smooth connecting to system once paired never an issue) not the case with qc 35 ii.

Yes, I have cleared the device list on the headphones and computer multiple times, and I have removed all devices named 'Rosemary' each time I did so. Haha I have no idea what the variation of Transport Adapter is, I don't even understand why I have more than one. My boyfriend (who has the exact same headphones purchased around the same time) only has the one device listed when he connects to his computer. He has not updated them from the bose website, though.

I have restarted my computer just to see (no dice). I can also no longer connect to my phone: my headphones show up in my phone, I swipe down, and I get a pop up asking me to 'select an accessory' and then it lists my headphones as the only option.

I notice on the bose site to update your headphones, it says to make sure your app version is up to date or the headphones may not work with the app, but I have confirmed I am on the latest update. (Looks like the app was updated a week ago.)

Edited to add: Realized I didn't address the link you sent. I looked at it, but it looks like the specific drivers that person installed were for a bluetooth dongle, but I have bluetooth built into my laptop. I don't know what hardware exactly, but I don't feel comfortable attempting to install random drivers for hardware I don't have.

Ok, I think I have confirmed that my issues is definitely an issue with my headphones.

My boyfriend I both have Bose QC35 headphones, bought around the same time. We both have iPhone 6s (bought years apart). We both have very similar (if not identical) dell laptops provided by the same company (we are coworkers).

I can connect his headphones to my computer and phone. He can connect his headphones to his computer and phone. I cannot connect my headphones to his computer and phone (or mine, obviously).

The next logical step to take would be to either downgrade my headphones from the latest firmware update, or do a factory reset. (Note that I am not talking about the 'reboot' turn off -> plug in -> unplug and wait -> turn on thing, nor am I talking about clearing the device list.) Does anyone know how to do this? Or is it time for me to contact official Bose customer support?

Note that at this point the biggest differences between my headphones and my boyfriend's headphones is that mine are a) on the latest firmware, and b) named.

Hi Raeglyn!

Thanks for reaching out again! 

There isn't a way to factory reset the headphones and based on all the information you have provided, I would recommend giving the Customer Service team a call as you may need to have a service. 

Click here and select your country of residence, scroll to the bottom of the page and select 'Contact Us'. One of our agents will be more than happy to assist you! 

I hope this helps! Have a great day! 

Jessie - Community Support