QC Earbuds and Sport Earbuds: Red/White flashing “error”

So I’ve tried out both the QC Earbuds and the Sport Earbuds. Both excellent products and well worth the wait.

However, with both products I’ve experienced a similar behavior as it relates to multi-device use. When they are only paired with one device (either just my iPhone or just my iPad) they behave normally.

However when paired with both my iPhone and my iPad (they aren’t connected to both at the same time, just paired), when I open the case to power on the buds, the indicator lights on the buds pulse while they are connecting as is normal, but then they sometimes rapid flash red/white for a few seconds before they are steady white again. They do the same thing at times when switching active device connection using the Bose Music app. It doesn’t happen every time, but it happens often enough where it just wasn’t a one-time thing.

I recorded a short video of the device switching:

https://youtu.be/VuJ7HoogEZI

In the manual, it states red/white flashing indicates “error: contact Bose”

At first I thought it may have been an issue with my QC Buds, but then I noticed the same behavior on my wife’s Sport Earbuds on her devices.

I then removed her iPhone/iPad and paired her buds to my iPhone/iPad and it was the same result. Only one device paired and stored in the device list (iPhone), it just connects and no red/white flashing.

When I add a second paired device (iPad), the Sport Earbuds flash red/white when connecting to a device or when using the Bose Music app to switch devices, exactly in the same way that the QC Earbuds flash red/white when device connecting or switching.

The QC earbuds and Sport earbuds exhibit the same intermittent behavior of red/white flashing on both my iPhone/iPad and my wife’s iPhone/iPad.

I’ve done two complete resets of the QC Buds (per the manual, hold the button for 30 seconds). I’ve deleted the stored paring from my phone and iPad twice as well and re-paired. No changes.

My devices: iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPad Pro 11 2020

My wife’s devices: iPhone XS Max, iPad Pro 2018

Both Bose devices are on the latest firmware, 1.07. All four Apple devices are on iOS 14.0.1.

Is this a hardware issue (doubtful, as it happens on multiple separate pieces of hardware)? Is this a firmware issue? Is this normal behavior?

Thanks for any help.

Just to follow-up, I uploaded a quick video demonstrating the same issue on the Sport buds as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfsE43TPAe8

Hi Grimley141,

It’s lovely to hear that you are enjoying your new QuietComfort Earbuds and Sport Earbuds. We’re very proud of the newest addition to the Bose family 😊

Thank you for the very detailed account of the circumstances in which you received a red and white LED notification. This LED signal is there to tell you that something didn’t go as planned, and in your case, it seems that it is linked to the Bluetooth connection, and more precisely the BLE connection. What is happening here is that one of your paired devices is holding on to the BLE connection to your earbuds, which prevents them from being able to communicate and connect with the case.

To fix this, you can resync the earbuds and charging case, by following these steps:
1.    Turn off the Bluetooth on all devices within 30 ft of the earbuds.
2.    Place the earbuds in the charging case for 5 seconds.
3.    Remove the earbuds from the case. The earbuds and charging case should now communicate as normal.

If this happens often, it might be worth trying to disconnect BLE and standard A2DP connections using the Bluetooth settings menu (depending on iOS version), as opposed to disconnecting via the Music app, which doesn’t fully clear all BT connections. If you look in your Bluetooth settings on your iOS device, you might see that your QC Earbuds or Sport earbuds show up as being connected twice. One may have the ‘LE’ designation next to the name, if not, that is ok, again some iOS version don’t always show this. BLE is used to communicate with the app and cannot be turned off. 
For this reason, it might be easier to not use the app to switch between your previously connected devices, and instead connect though the Bluetooth settings on your devices, by simply turning off the Bluetooth on the phone you want to disconnect from and turning it on on the other device, then complete the connection in the BT settings menu. 

Let me know how you get on.

Thanks for the detailed response. I’m hoping that future firmware updates will sand off some of the rough edges. I’m sure it will, it just takes time.

This is not good enough.  I should not have to disconnect my Bluetooth each time I want to switch between devices.  I want to be able to be watching something on my laptop and then easily switch to my phone when it rings.  I just received the Bose Sport earbuds and I'm hoping switching between devices can be simplified very soon or I will return the product and ask for a refund.

Have done all the reset instructions that are available. This has been unsuccessful.

What can be done to fix these.

Also the left earbud will make wake sound when put in ear one time after it is removed from case. The right ear but does not.

Hello Yaright, 

Thank you for posting onto the Community! Sorry to hear that you have experienced this flashing LED issue with your new headset, this isn't something you should be experiencing at all. 

As you have already attempted all troubleshooting steps, I would recommend that you reach out to your regional support team via this link here for further support with service options. 

Ok so I just got my sports earbuds and it was working great.. until I  suddenly couldn't connect my phone to it three days ago. So at first I thought it was the battery, so I charged it.

But it still blinks red! Downloaded the app to connect, still couldn't work. I already disconnect all devices from the earbuds so I am very confused as to why it keeps on blinking. The box even show that the battery is full. Someone help please! :'( 

Bose product name

(Quiet Comfort Earbuds, NC700, Soundbar 700, etc.)

Country

Firmware Version

(1.0.7, 4.8.1, 1.7.0, etc.)

App Version

(4.1.1, 13.0.2, etc.)

What devices were you using that were affected and what version are they on

(Samsung Galaxy S9 on Android 11, iPhone X on iOS14, etc.)

Detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce

Where do you run into the issue?

When did you start to experience the issue? Did it work correctly previously?

Any troubleshooting steps you took