RE: Connecting my L1 compact & Tonematch to an external PA

Hello, I’m a solo female singer & using my L1 compact & tonematch in its simplest form of my iPad connected to channel 4/5 of my tonematch & my radio mic in channel 1. I have gigs where I’m having to use their PA system because I need to use their speakers system because they have them for the back of room. Is there a way I can use my Bose PA & connect with the venues mixer & speaker system just to use the rear speakers and use my Bose for the main room?

Hope this is clear. Hope someone can help as I so miss my Bose superior sound on these gigs.

Thanks

Hi Giselle,

Welcome to the Bose Portable PA Community. I'm glad you joined us.

There are two points on your Bose system that you can connect to the venue's mixer.

L1 Compact Line Out

The simplest is the L1 Compact Line Out (on the back of the L1 Compact). This will send the same signal you hear to the venue's mixer.

Line Out

CompactLineOut.gif

Use either the 1/4" (6.3mm) Tip-Ring-Sleeve output or the RCA outputs depending on the connection options at the venue.

T1 Aux Output

You can create a different mix (perhaps more vocal than iPad) to the venue's mixer. 

T1 ToneMatch® Audio Engine Aux Output
--?8T? Please click the picture for more details ?T8?--    

Does that help?
ST 

ST, how does the L1-C and Tonematch do with Phantom Power, i.e. if the venue has it turned on for the mixer channels the Bose is plugged into, is there any potential for damage to the L1 or T1?

Jeff

Hi Jeff K,

There's no risk from phantom power if you connect the L1 Compact Line Out or T1 Master or Aux Outputs using the 1/4 inch (6.3mm) Tip-Ring-Sleeve cable to a mixer 1/4 inch (6.3 mm) jack.  As you know, phantom power is only (optionally) applied to XLR inputs.

If you are working with a house system, and specify you are providing a balanced line-level source, you should be fine. We hope whoever is running the house system will know how to connect things correctly to a line level input (that should not have phantom power).

Of course, there is the possibility someone could

1. Convert the 1/4 inch (6.3 mm) Tip-Ring-Sleeve connection to XLR
    AND
  2. Connect that to a microphone input on a mixer
    AND
  3. Turn on the phantom power

If you want to avoid the issue entirely, use a 1/4 (6.3mm) Tip-Sleeve cable when connecting to an unknown external system.

If the input provided is XLR then you could use a passive DI between the L1 Compact or ToneMatch mixer. 

1/4 inch (6.3mm) Tip Sleeve connection (short cable) to the DI. XLR out from the DI to the house system. This would eliminate any risk of phantom power coming back to the Bose equipment.

ST

ST posted:

Of course, there is the possibility someone could

1. Convert the 1/4 inch (6.3 mm) Tip-Ring-Sleeve connection to XLR
    AND
  2. Connect that to a microphone input on a mixer
    AND
  3. Turn on the phantom power

If you want to avoid the issue entirely, use a 1/4 (6.3mm) Tip-Sleeve cable when connecting to an unknown external system.

Yep, that's the exact scenario I'm envisioning...most house systems she would encounter would likely have XLR jacks on stage rather than 1/4", so the possibility of Phantom Power being applied to the output of the L1-C or T1 is rather high. And sadly, most small venue "sound techs" are just the person that knows how to turn the 'set and forget' system on so wouldn't even know what Phantom Power is, much less how to disable it. Not trying to be cynical, I'd just hate to see anyone blow up their personal system.

If Phantom Power were applied to the L1-C or T1, is there any protection afforded, i.e. internal DC blocking capacitors, that would protect the L1-C or T1 from erroneously applied Phantom Power?

If the input provided is XLR then you could use a passive DI between the L1 Compact or ToneMatch mixer. 

1/4 inch (6.3mm) Tip Sleeve connection (short cable) to the DI. XLR out from the DI to the house system. This would eliminate any risk of phantom power coming back to the Bose equipment. 

That is my preferred method to connect anything to a house system, whether small PA to large PA, mixer or instrument. I recommend everyone have a good decent passive stereo DI for just such occasions.

Jeff

Hi Everybody,

We have expanded our article on Phantom Power

If you've read through this discussion this far, then you'll be interested to know.

Will phantom power provided by an external system damage the Line Outputs of a Bose Portable PA system?

The outputs of Bose Portable PA equipment have circuitry to protect them in case phantom power is turned on in the external system.

ST

Thanks for the advice.

just to follow up. I like the idea of using the output on the back of my Bose unit but where do I connect it on the mixer? Can I just put it through a channel?

Hi Giselle,

Giselle posted:

Thanks for the advice.

just to follow up. I like the idea of using the output on the back of my Bose unit

Is this what you mean "using the output on the back of my Bose unit"

There are two points on your Bose system that you can connect to the venue's mixer.

L1 Compact Line Out

The simplest is the L1 Compact Line Out (on the back of the L1 Compact). This will send the same signal you hear to the venue's mixer.

Line Out

CompactLineOut.gif

Use either the 1/4" (6.3mm) Tip-Ring-Sleeve output or the RCA outputs depending on the connection options at the venue.

Giselle posted:

Can I just put it through a channel?

Then, yes.

ST

Giselle,

Given the option, you'd want them to plug your Bose outputs into a channel (or two, if applicable) that is set for Line Level. If they plug you into a channel set up for a mic input, the Bose's (or any mixer's) line level output will be too strong and overdrive the channel into distortion. Hopefully they will know what you mean...if not, you may have to use the T1's Aux output as ST suggested as an alternative, as you would be able to drop the level of that output down low enough so as not to distort the house PA's channel. The output of the Bose L1 Compacts are not separately adjustable from the speaker outputs. 

If using the T1 aux output, you may want to set it Post Fader, so subsequent mix changes (vocal or music level) in the Bose speaker mix will be replicated on the Aux Output.

Hope this helps,

Jeff