Sending Bluetooth to two SoundTouches simultaneously

I've recently added a SoundTouch 10 to the ST20 that I've had for a few years.  Normally, I use these on wi-fi, either Spotify, Pandora, etc.  But here's the question: Sometimes, when I don't have my wireless network turned on I'd like to stream tunes (mp3s) from either my iPhone or iPad to both of the SoundTouches.   I can do it just fine to one speaker at a time, but it doesn't seem to work when I try to connect BOTH speakers at once.  (When the wi-fi network is active I can send BT to the ST10 and it will rebroadcast to the ST20 or vice versa with no problem using the Play All function.  It's the offline mode that I'm puzzled about.)

Maybe I've missed something in my wireless education, but does Bluetooth not allow one device to send a signal to two devices simultaneously?

Thanks in advance!

As far as I am aware this is not possible.  Bluetooth devices that broadcast audio are normally paired to only one other device at a time.  The only thing I've seen is where a BlueTooth device (like Bose's QC35 II headphones) can be connected to and receive audio from two sources at once, though it doesn't play both at once, it intelligently switches between the two as needed (for instance your phone and your computer).  

Maybe you could turn on your Phone's hotspot and have one or both of the devices connect to it via WIFI.  I'm not sure what you would do next??

Hi Tom Audiofile, 

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Bose Community!

Thank you to and for your additions to this thread. 

To broadcast to both speakers at the same time using Bluetooth you will need to have both speakers on the network. The broadcast of the Audio, though through Bluetooth to the main speaker, is broadcast over to the second speaker via WiFi. This is also where the speakers are synced together. 

I hope this helps to clarify, if you have any additional questions please do reach out again!

Kindest, 

Jessie O - Community Support

Hello,

There are few apps that connect multiple Bluetooth devices like AmpMe. As for the soundtouch you can add systems on your network to a group, or you can quickly add all systems by selecting "PLAY ALL": https://www.bose.com/en_us/support/article/sending-bluetooth-audio-to-multiple-soundtouch-systems.html.

Regards,
Danielle