Sleepbud Sounds have very annoying sounds in the loop

I appreciate there are many more comments on here like mine: Many (most) of the sounds have very annoying background noises as part of the loop architecture (indexing issues?). I cannot help but focus on the reoccurring 'weird sounds such as clicks, pops, pseudo-voices, etc) that loop circa. every 10 seconds. Really, really defeats the object of having these sleepbuds. I must say that having had the Version 1 buds (and all the problems), I was really exciting about the version II. BOSE have clearly spent time improving the product but my word! the sound quality is terrible which is ironic because BOSE is absolutely associated with quality sound. Presumably there is an update coming otherwise I will be returning the product (= history repeating itself).

Bose product name: Sleepbuds II

Firmware Version: Just bought so latest version

App Version: Just bought so latest version

What devices were you using that were affected and what version are they on IPhone11

Detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce: Many (most) of the sounds have very annoying background noises as part of the loop architecture (indexing issues?). I cannot help but focus on the reoccurring 'weird sounds such as clicks, pops, pseudo-voices, etc) that loop circa. every 10 seconds.  Really, really defeats the object of having these sleepbuds.  I must say that having had the Version 1 buds (and all the problems), I was really exciting about the version II.  BOSE have clearly spent time improving the product but my word!  the sound quality is terrible which is ironic because BOSE is absolutely associated with quality sound.  Presumably there is an update coming otherwise I will be returning the product (= history repeating itself).

What environment do you experience the issue in? quiet bedroom at night time

When did you start to experience the issue? Did it work correctly previously?  Since new

Any troubleshooting steps you took Not yet - product return likely step

The frustrating thing is that this time around there’s not really any major hardware issues, the majority of the problems raised on here can ALL be solved in the app software and firmware updates. 

I know there must be an app update coming very soon as Bose uploaded a post on their Facebook page yesterday saying to download the latest version of the app which is increasing the sounds available to over 50. It got quickly taken down though and no app update has appeared as yet. Of course, total radio silence on here from the Bose team who simply do not have an ounce of respect for their customers and feel communication is not something they need to do regularly for people they have clearly sold an imperfect product to. 

I would pretty much guarantee at this point that the app update makes no changes to the existing sounds. Bose keep saying no one has complained about them so they don’t need to address anything. They tell us they read this thread or the feedback is sent back to the team, which is clearly a lie on both counts as we never have any proper engagement from the actual sleepbuds development team on here. 

There are so many good ideas on here, but Bose really need to set up a proper beta forum they actively engage with in order to develop the software and sounds with the community and not just refuse to listen to us and carry on with their product road map. 

Bose honestly do not care about your sleep, if they did they would understand this is almost a medical product for some people and would work to make it better in every single way. Bose have made a consumer product they consider finished out of the box, their track record to date with updates does not look good but I really hope to be proved wrong.

I’ve missed my return window now, so have to live with what I’ve got, but for anyone not happy with the state of the software support I urge you to return the sleepbuds for a refund as you will not get any of your issues resolved during your three month trial. 

This is interesting to hear about that FB post... hopefully it means there will

be some updates soon.

I just received my new Sleepbuds2 also after having a set of ver1 for several years...still working except magnets had come off and takes me 10 minutes of delicate finessing to get them set back in the charger...and this noise in the loop of the new pair is completely distracting.  Does no one in Bose ever try out their products? It wouldn't take long to notice and they definitely shouldn't be shipping them out. Please fix this Bose.

I truly believe there is no real world testing of the sleepbuds at all, which is insane considering beta testing on the sounds should have been front and centre whilst the hardware team worked on perfecting the faults from the first iteration. I would hazard a guess that every one of us on here would be willing to work with and beta test sounds before a general public launch but sadly no one from Bose is willing to admit there is anything at fault with their product and arrogantly assume that what they release is what people want (it clearly isn’t because the same requests and issues with the sounds are raised time and time again. Longer cleaner versions of all sounds are required, we don’t need 10 sounds uploaded to the buds we want one or two long ones only). To fix these to be perfect is so simple, if only Bose would read these comments and listen to us. I live in hope that one day someone who works in the Sleepbuds department actually reads these comments and understands what we are asking for and actually starts work on updating the app, but it really seems as if no one at Bose apart from the forum mods looks on these threads and they certainly don’t ever actually feed anything back to the development teams. 

It was very exciting to find out that a version 2 was coming, which would address the hardware problems.   That made it even more disappointing to find out the sounds were unchanged or in some cases (Warm Static) worse.  And now it's pretty clear that the product is unlikely to be enhanced any further - at least from my perspective.   

I've been looking at alternatives, but my best hope at this point is that someone manages to hack the phone app and its files such that it becomes possible to use (and exchange) our own sounds.  Someone could then create files with varieties of white noise or other "smooth" sounds.  

Hello,

Thanks for reaching out, we apologize for the frustration regarding response time, we try to get back to our community threads as quickly as possible. We appreciate all your input and would love to get further details on this experience. 

What exactly occurs in the audio tracks that you are having issues with? Which sounds are causing concern?

Undercurrent - whale sounds - although under water is probably best for me when sleeping, the repeating deep whale sounds would probably create nightmares so i dont use it. I've never heard whales sound like that, it sounds more like a viking 'to the death' battle horn. Either way its too repetitive and can result in awful ear fatigue (imo), id remove any animal specifically pitched sounds. (From any loop)

Rustle - too many distinct and recogniseable repetitive leafy crackling noises.

Cobblestone - too many repetitive water drop noises. So distinct - a few i can even give the musical note for. C sharp for example. I love it but i hear a c-sharp water droplet every 10 seconds. Same rhythm. Very distracting. I loved this sound until it got too recogniseable one night (2nd night) 

Elements - odd subtle squawking noise every 10 seconds or so. There is no need for it. Its repetitively distracting. id remove any animal specifically pitched sounds. (From any loop)

Hideaway (Naturescape) - by far my favourite concept, i really picture being in a hideaway in the amazon only to be feeling like im stuck at a moment of time where the wind gust just keeps coming back  whilst the rain on the window frame dies down. - too repetitive and distractingly recogniseable - a ruined soundscape, so sad.

The rest of the sounds are really good (imo)

Its a good product just doesn't reflect Bose's reputation yet imo, i used to use an app called 'sleepa' that was free with really well designed loops that you'd never think were loops. Perhaps you could use their sounds as a reference track for your sounds. (Id expect it to be the other way round if im honest bose)

I am a sound engineer and i selectively listen to sound every day for little and big errors in music/sound. 

I've listened to your sounds, i love them, but please listen to me and make the changes for bose and its customers.

Warm static - has what sounds like a distinct voice in the distance shouting “hello?” every ten seconds, so it always sounds like someone in the house or outside is calling for help and makes it impossible to go to sleep with that sound. 

Cascade - has a strange stutter and dip in frequency around the loop repeat. To regular to be able to sleep. 

Downstream - the running water is ok, but the ‘bloops’ that underpin the sound are too familiar and can be recognised too frequently in the loop, once again preventing sleep for those of us who have issues with external sounds (pipes clonking, noisy neighbours, outside traffic) it’s the pin point repetition we can cope with. It heightens anxiety as our brain waits for the sound to repeat and increase heart rate when we do hear it. This is why pure white noise and pink noise with no additional elements is so important. 

Shore Line - very distinctive loop that has the very end of the wave washing up stutter with a “duh-duh” rhythm in the left ear that the brain fixates on. 

Starboard - sounds like distant musical wind chimes front and centre throughout the whole sound

Rustle - the rustle isn’t leaves rustling it’s static fluctuating, it sounds like a badly tuned radio or a speaker that has blown. Plus the rythm of the ‘rustle’ is far too repetitive and it’s loop too short (almost has the rhythm of a slow train on the tracks)

I can’t believe four months on we’re still having to tell you all of this and each time it’s mentioned your responses seem to be as if it’s the first time. Please Bose give us the respect to read through this community forum, learn the issues we have all been raising and actually do something about it instead of the usual lip service of “well, I’ll certainly pass that on”.