Soundbar 700 Supported Audio Formats

Hi All,

The Bose website states that the Bose Soundbar 700 only support 5.1 DTS and Dolby 5.1. 

I have been testing my setup (Sony A9G > EARC (passthrough) > Soundbar 700) utilising a number of Plex movies to determine which formats the Soundbar can directly play and which it needs transcoding. 

My results are below:

5.1 DTS - Direct Play
7.1 DTS - Direct Play
5.1 True HD - Transcode to EAC3 as does not support TrueHD
7.1 True HD - Transcode to EAC3 as does not support TrueHD
5.1 AC3 - Direct Play
5.1 EAC3 - Direct Play but no sound
7.1 EAC3 - Direct Play but no sound
5.1 AAC - Transcode to AC3 does not support AAC
7.1 AAC - Transcode to EAC3 does not support AAC

What I don’t understand is why a transcode to EAC3 can provide sound, but direct play of EAC3 (Dolby Digital Plus) is unable to play. 

It would be good to understand from the community what your experiences are and if you have tried LPCM 5.1 or LPCM7.1. 

The lack of Dolby Digital Plus support could be worked around if your TV, Media Streamer or Blu Ray Player can convert into LPCM 7.1. 

So you're saying you're getting a dolby digital plus signal playing when playing True HD? I thought that the soundbar couldn't handle dolby digital plus?

Since I originally posted this and following the Soundbar firmware updates, I am now able to play EAC3 without any transcoding. This leads me to believe the Soundbar can handle a Dolby Digital Plus signal. 

Both the 700 and the Circular segment support both Curve and eARC in their lone HDMI ports, permitting both to stream uncompressed sound from your television. The genuine advantage of eARC is that it guarantees quick information move for excellent substance, however just the Circular segment truly exploits this. The 700 just backings Dolby Computerized and DTS sound configurations, while the Curve works with Dolby Atmos, TrueHD, MAT, Dolby Advanced In addition, and Dolby Computerized. Configurations like Atmos utilize more information, so you need quicker information moves to guarantee they aren't packed to bring down quality prior to coming to your soundbar.