Soundtouch 30 spontaneously starts playing spotify

Last night around 1:30 am my soundtouch 30 spontaneously started playing spotify music. This device has never been connected to any spotify account other than via bluetooth.

I have read from other people having experienced the same. I'm wondering what is going on... Do I have to be worried about security? I'm quite sure nobody got access to my network via my wifi...

Hi MVdh,

Welcome to the Community, thanks for posting!

When you have been using the Spotify app with the speaker, have you ever used Spotify Connect to stream audio to the speaker? One of the possible ways to stream Spotify to your speaker is using the Spotify Connect feature, which will automatically find any compatible speakers on the same Wi-Fi network. If you are using the same Wi-Fi network as the speaker when streaming from Spotify, you will see your speaker in the list of available speakers and it is possible that you or someone else on the network accidentally selected the speaker instead of playing on the device they were using.

Is this the first time you have noticed the speaker playing when you have not told it to?

I only used the bose speaker as a bluetooth speaker to play the music, I didn't play spotify directly on the speaker. At the time it happened no one was playing any spotify music and the type of music that started playing spontaneously wasn't anything anyone of us liked.

It was the first time this happened and sofar also the only time.

That's really strange then Mvdh, it shouldn't be able to play directly from Spotify unless you have either linked your accounts and are using the SoundTouch app, or you are using the Spotify connect feature in the Spotify app. Both of these methods would require the person playing the music to be on the same Wi-Fi as your speaker for a connection to be established.

Have any of your friends/family played Spotify to your speaker when they visited? The Spotify app will sometimes remember speakers on other networks that it has played to via Spotify Connect, so if a friend or family member used the speaker when they visited previously, it may still show in the Spotify Connect list for them to select. If this is the case, then it's possible that they accidentally selected the speaker when playing music in their own home. I found this guide that shows how to remove unwanted speakers from a Spotify account, but this would have to be done by the other person who used the speaker rather than your own Spotify account due to how Spotify Connect works.

As the speaker has only started playing music unintentionally once, I wouldn't worry about it. But if it ever does happen again, let us know and we'll be happy to dig into this further with you!