Soundtouch app not playing music on all speakers on mesh wifi network

I have a Bose Soundtouch 20, Soundtouch 520 Home Cinema and Soundtouch SA-5 amplifier all connected via a wired CAT-5 network.  I also have 2 Soundtouch 10 wireless speakers connected to the same network via wireless connection over wifi.  Prior to installing a mesh wifi network to improve wifi coverage and speed the Soundtouch app could easily play music over one, all or any combination of speakers.  After the Linksys Velop mesh wifi system was installed the app cannot play simultaneously a speaker that is connected over the wired network and the wireless network at the same time.

Does Bose support mesh wifi and wired networks simultaneously?

Hi ,

Welcome to the Community! I'm sorry to hear of the issues that you've been having with Wi-Fi setup and would be happy to help.

While there are many benefits to having a mesh network in your setup (increased range, stability, etc), this may not work as intended depending on the way that this is being routed. Normally, wired and wireless connections can be grouped, but if your mesh network(s) are handling connections in a slightly different way than the original router, then there are a lot of variables that can affect the connection.

We would normally recommend that, where possible, you have all the speakers connected to the same access point (ideally the original router), as this would be the best option for the connected products. 

I understand that this would defeat the point of using the mesh to extend the coverage, so there are a few things that I would recommend here.

Firstly, I would recommend that, if this is not already the case, that you run all the mesh networks using the same details as the original router (same channel, name, bands, etc.), and then power cycle these to ensure that these update.

Following this, I would also advise that you disable any settings on the router that may block or prevent connection between items - these are commonly labelled as "Stealth Mode" or something similar.

If you have given both of the above a try, please return to me to let me know what is happening! Alternatively you could reach out to Bose Support directly to discuss this by selecting your country/region, then navigating to "Contact Us" at the bottom of the page.

If anyone else has used mesh networks (or particularly this mesh network) in their setup successfully, please chime in here with any information that could be helpful!

Liam W - Community Support

I setup a separate wireless network on the original router and reconnected the 2 Soundtouch10 speakers and bypassed my expensive mesh wifi network.  All the Bose speakers in my system now work as before the mesh network was installed.  This is a work around and not a solution to the problem.  I strongly urge Bose to provide native support for mesh wifi.  Many customers like me that have invested significant $$ in Bose will become increasingly frustrated if they cannot take advantage of advances in wifi technology.

Unfortunately I have to say I have encountered the same porblems while trying to set up my system in a AVM Fritz mesh network with a 7490 router and the avm powerline system. The understanding of a multiroom system is that different speakers have a different distance to access the router and therefore may not in direct range of the router. But this will not work with Bose. It always took some time for the app to locate all speakers to be controlled. Depending on my position in the network the app is searching for the one or the other. As in a mesh basic SSID stays the same I have stereo groups what one speaker is connected to the mesh extension while the other just reached out to get connected to the router directly. Consequently one speaker is visibly immediatly while the other took sometimes up to 5 minutes to get catched by the app.

I quit the mesh and have some speaker with a very poor signal running. This at least it is running more stable than mesh.

I absolutely agree, it would be senseful to have the ability running the system under a proper a mesh condition. This should be the basic to run a multi-room system!

Norbert

Inhale the same problem with to link x60 mesh WiFi it really doesn’t work to play all the speakers all at once I have 10 Bose SoundTouch 10 speakers and the lifestyle 650 it’s really bugging me I hope that there is a solution for this the sound is great only the WiFi system is not so good I don’t get sound on one of my speaker’s 

Randy Ista

Hey @RandyIsta, 

Thanks for reaching out!

Due to the complexity of mesh networks, I would strongly recommend reaching out to our support team directly for a 1 on 1 support session.

Global Contact Us > Select your country > Scroll to the bottom of the page > Click 'Contact Us'

Hi guys and girls,

I had the same problem after upgrading my Asus router to a complete Asus Aimesh system. All my ST speakers had occuring problems with playback and connection drops. Today I googled and found 1 Message from 2018 in this forum. Airtime fairness can best be disabled and the problem was solved. 

URL : https://community.bose.com/t5/SoundTouch-Archive/Soundtouch-PlayAll-Group-Asus-AiMesh/m-p/152868#M63397

Regards,

Rob

Hi Rob,

I'm glad to hear you've managed to get your speakers up and running correctly with your mesh network. Thanks for sharing this information on how you resolved this with us! I'm sure many other users will find this helpful as well!