Spotify Podcast Multiroom / Spotify API

Hi,

I cannot play podcasts from within Spotify. Especially casting to multiple speakers at once doesn't work (multiroom). Having spoken to Spotify, they claim that Bose does not support Spotify's latest API which means that podcasts are considered mixed-media and thus will not be cast via the Spotify app. When will Bose update their firmware/software to the latest Spotify API, so that this issue will be resolved?

Hi Sonnenblumenkind,

Thanks for joining us in the community!

It is strange that you are having trouble using Spotify for podcasts through their app. So I can provide you with the most accurate information on this, which speakers are you using when you are trying to play the podcasts?

When you talk about casting from the Spotify app, are you using Spotify connect and choosing the Bose speaker, or are you doing this another way?

I look forward to hearing back from you.

I use Spotify connect to connect to the Bose speakers. Some podcasts like "Reply all" actually do work, but others like "This American Life", "BBC Documentary" or "In our time" (or anything else from the BBC) do not. In these cases it shows "Can't play this right now" below every single Bose speaker.

If I play the same podcasts via tunein, using the Bose app, these podcasts do work. But I rather have everything in one app than constantly juggle between two (and Spotify has other advantages as well, like device synchronization, but I digress).

Thanks for confirming that for me!

As you have mentioned those particular podcasts I've been having a look into this based around those. Interestingly, on my Spotify app when playing those podcasts, it does not let me change to any of my other devices. It won't let me cast it to any of my Bose speakers, or my Echo's. I can only choose between the app on my phone or computer.

After having a look into this further, I did find a thread on the Spotify forums saying this is 'expected behavior' but also that "not all podcasts are available for playback on all devices." so it's not completely clear whether this should be working with our speakers currently. It would not surprise me if this was related to the API being used as mentioned by the Spotify support team when you spoke to them.

What I have done is I've raised this with our engineering team to get some information on whether this is expected behavior from our speakers or whether it should be working. Then, if it does turn out to be expected behavior, I'll get it followed up as a feature request to see if it would be possible to change the behavior!

If you have any other specific examples of podcasts that you have tried that aren't currently working, let me know! Having more information about what kind of podcast isn't working will be helpful!

Hello Sonnenblumenkind. Our development team has confirmed that the inability to play certain Spotify podcasts is between the podcast provider and the channels in which they make their content available for playback. This is not an implication of API usage, but at the decision of the specific podcast provider. 

As an alternative solution, you could stream the music to a speaker via Bluetooth. Using the Bose Music app, you could then wirelessly group additional Bose smart speakers together for multi-room playback of the podcast media.