T8 and L1 II, really loud beep occasionally

So, I used my "new" T8 last night (i´ve used it one gig before).
But for the first time in my career with Bose L1 (used it for years and hundreds of gig) it occasionally started to "beep" with high volume.
The "beep" sound is like, well like a fire alarm thats running out of battery, it starts to beep as a warning signal that its time to change battery. The sound was like that, but very occasionally, it could be a couple of times right after each other, or could go like 20 minutes between them.

Is there some warning signal within the T8? or the L1 II?
I have been using the L1 with my T1 tone match for years and hundreds of hundred gigs and NEVER heard this sound before.
So what was new and what was the setup last night?

- The T8 was "new".
- We had a Bassplayer last night that we line out from his amp to T8.
- We had a monitor from Aux 1 (but I don't think it was the monitor as we tried to lower that volume a couple of times without getting rid of the beep.)

I tried to on the fly see if there was any signal that went into red, and I noticed that the analog input on the L1 footer sometimes went from green to orange? And the bass sometimes hit the red. The "VU-meters" on theT8 mixer was also nearly hitting the maximum.

Could it be some of the signal that was clipping that made the really loud "beep"? The "Beep" was at the same output level as the main level of the PA. Is there something in the Bose products that can beep?

We also had 2 LED cans, if that has something to do with it?

Settings:
Trim, normally set to 12 a clock.
Volume, normally set to 11 a clock
Footer analog input always set to 12 a clock.
Master on T8 set to 10:30

Hi Daniel,

I'm not sure about the beeping, but it sounds like you have the L1 Model II Power Stand Analog Input trim too high.

The T8S output is much hotter than the T1. I would set it at 9:00-10:00 o'clock.

Also, try running the T8S master volume around 10:00.

I'll see what I can find out about the beeping. In the meantime, does the beeping persist if you make the changes above?

ST

Hi Daniel,

I forgot to ask - is your firmware up to date.

Please see

T8S Firmware Updates

Thanks,

ST

Thank you for responding.

I've got the firmware v1.0.10 is that the latest?
I have download the updater and that got 1.0.10 as latest.
But if i download the latest firmware direct it is called 1.1.0 or is it the same?

Yes I've noticed that the T8 is much hotter than the T1. But the output volume in the crowd wasn't soo high in our opinion, but It was an outdoor gig so maby the L1 was working hard?

The trim on on the footer should be fine if its green and just occasionally orange, right? 

I would love to try to change some settings, but I don't know how to make the system beep again. It seemed like it was when all three of us where playing hard, and sang hard. Some overload perhaps. Maby It had to do something with the bass was line into a channel from his amp? (we have never tried that player and his amp before in the Bose.)

See if you can find anything about the L1 or T8 has some "beep" built in as a warning or something like that.

Hi Daniel,

Daniel Blohm posted:

Thank you for responding.

I've got the firmware v1.0.10 is that the latest?

The latest is 1.1.0

I have download the updater and that got 1.0.10 as latest.
But if i download the latest firmware direct it is called 1.1.0 or is it the same?

No - 1.0.10 is older and it is not the same as 1.1.0

You need version 1.1.0

Yes I've noticed that the T8 is much hotter than the T1. But the output volume in the crowd wasn't soo high in our opinion, but It was an outdoor gig so maby the L1 was working hard?

Maybe. Also - were you connected to a generator or regular AC power? Did you have to use long extension cords to get power to the L1 sytems?

The trim on on the footer should be fine if its green and just occasionally orange, right? 

Yes.

I would love to try to change some settings, but I don't know how to make the system beep again. It seemed like it was when all three of us where playing hard, and sang hard. Some overload perhaps. Maby It had to do something with the bass was line into a channel from his amp? (we have never tried that player and his amp before in the Bose.)

You wrote in your first post

And the bass sometimes hit the red. The "VU-meters" on theT8 mixer was also nearly hitting the maximum.

Yes, you could have been clipping something in the signal chain. It's hard to diagnose that later.

Have you tried to make it beep again? Can't do it?

See if you can find anything about the L1 or T8 has some "beep" built in as a warning or something like that.

Yes, I will investigate that. It may take a few days.

ST

Hi Daniel,

I checked with all the people who would know, and there are no "warning sounds" (beeps) in any of the Bose Portable PA products. That covers: F1, L1, S1 Pro, T1, T4S, T8S.

I also checked with our global support team. We haven't had any reports of beeps. As you might imagine, there are several people in Bose Professional who are musicians and entertainers. We asked around, and no one has heard a beep from our equipment.

I'm sure you heard something, but we're equally sure the source wasn't the  the L1 or T8S.

Have you heard any strange sounds lately?

ST

Update: November 2018

Firmware version 1.1.4 includes changes to address the issue of digital noise. Please see:

T4S/T8S Firmware Update Instructions 

I am having same problem.  I spent hours diagnosing it and happens when we have auxiliary outputs plugged in and everyone is playing and singing it sets it off.  

Hi Pastor Troy,

We haven't back from Daniel (or anyone else) in over a year so we're closing this discussion and we'll resume in the discussion you started today.

Loud occasional digital noise

Please follow the link above.

Thank you.

Bose Pro Community Admin

Hello!

We are also experiencing this issue. Our band uses the T1 and T8 systems and when all the band is playing/singing we are experiencing an electrical beep that interrupts the entire system.

Hello Adam Ezra,

Sorry you're having a problem with a disruptive beep.

Go to the Loud occasional digital noise link (from the previous post above by Forum Admin on 8-27-2019.)

That forum thread basically describes the same problem you're having, with a T8s / L1 Model II.

• Check to make sure you have the latest firmware revision on your T8s.  Instructions on how to check are here, and if you need to update the firmware, the instructions are here.
  • Make sure you have properly "gain staged" all your channels (adjusted all the trim levels for each mic and instruments.) This ensures you are not overdriving the board.  Gain staging instructions are here.

I hope that helps get you started in your troubleshooting!