Tell us your story

Hi Everyone,

Bose Hearphones are all about enhancing conversations, and conversations are often stories.

Please tell us your story. We'd love to hear it.

Sincerely,

ST

I decided that I wanted to try wire free earbuds, and bought a set of highly recommended models. While the sound was fine I did not care for the fit or the battery life. So I went for the QC 30. Nice sound and good fit with better battery life. While searching the net for more info on my new Bose earbuds I happened to see a blurb about the Hearphones. After some  research I returned the QC 30 and paid the difference for the Hearphones (ouch!). If the audio quality is not the same it is close. Very good. But the ability to block out the outside environment OR amplify it is stunning. I should be using hearing aids but do not care for the sound. As all this info is better addressed by product reviews so I will skip ahead. The music is super and being able to home in on outside sounds is a game changer. I find that most of the sound quality issues are taken care of by understanding the settings. The more I fiddle With this product, the better it sounds. Once i began to understand the settings it only got better. There is no single setting that makes everything super, though you can end up with a “general” setting that works in most situations. It’s a learning process....

I also play some live music so I tried the Hearphones at practice. I find I can get my voice somewhat isolated and am able hear what and how I am singing very well, with no sound systems adjustments. Very close to in ear monitors. 

Hi John,

Thanks for taking time to tell us your story.  I'm sure this will be helpful to others.

My Hearphones have made a huge difference in my interactions with people in the audience between sets. I can hear them! I hope you'll find the same.

ST

I've had tinnitus since I was little enough that I thought everyone heard the noises I did, lol It was only as an adult that I learned that it wasn't standard. I am 54 years old now, and the tinnitus has only gotten louder - and more interesting! It used to be just a high pitched whine/whistle,  but now sometimes I'll get pops, clicks or shudders, or crickets, or the ocean, or even a distant train. While it can sometimes be annoying, I don't think it bothers me as much as it does some folks.

In addition, I've had some hearing loss since I was young, although not enough to alert my parents, and I didn't find out what I was missing until in my 20s when an audiologist informed me that I seem to hear as though my head is submerged in an aquarium, lol

I also have some balance issues identified by the neurologist as vestibular but they didn't put a name on it. As I have a cousin with Meniere's, between my hearing loss, tinnitus and vestibular issues, I feel fairly certain that I also come under that heading and that I am in for further hearing loss and louder tinnitus. My father has lost all hearing one ear and most of the hearing in the other, so there's that in the gene pool too. I definitely could have benefitted from hearing aids starting years ago, but insurance doesn't cover and I couldn't afford them.

Bose Hearphones have created a feeling for me much like the one my mother described when she was talking about going to see "The Wizard of Oz" in the theater when it first came out - how the first part was in black and white just like any other movie of the time, and then how the whole theater reacted when color washed across the screen after Dorothy opened the door of the house to find herself in Munchkinland. I feel that sense of amazement and wonder with these Hearphones in regard to sound, and I'm very grateful that they are available and that they don't cost nearly as much as ordinary hearing aids!

Like binoculars for the ears - reduces the unwanted sounds while bringing the desired sounds into focus. Talking in restaurants is no longer a problem as the background conversations are no longer distracting. One absolutely fantastic benefit is the ability to listen to music and read when my wife is vacuuming next to me - previously I would have to leave the room as the vacuum cleaner is very loud and vacuuming is done every day.

the ability to rapidly switch between “cone of silence” and focused conversations is wonderful.

Note: my specific problem in restaurants was a combination of not being able to hear the other person - it was that I heard ALL other persons. It was like talking to someone in the TV section of an electronics store and trying to ignore the action scenes on 20 screens behind the person

My story.  Long and involved, but basically good news at the end.

Already having age related hearing loss and wearing high end hearing aids, in late November 2014 I developed what was 15 months later diagnosed as Patulous Eustachian Tubes; they stayed open all the time.  An additional diagnosis in 2016 revealed I have an opening on my right side in the bone between the middle ear and the brain cavity (Superior semi-circular canal dehisense).  Major symptoms for me were ear fullness (pressure), hearing loss, and extreme sensitivity to certain noises: paper crackling, dishes clattering, crowds talking.  The disorders cannot be corrected but the symptoms can be alleviated to some extent, although in 2016 I could locate only four surgeons in the United States who specialized in such.  Seven surgeries later the symptoms are somewhat relieved, however they also contributed to additional hearing loss which is now moderate to severe. 

Retired, my major group activities before all this began had been at my church, where I participated in services, adult Sunday School, and three study classes during the week.  I also had lunch once a month with a small group of men, generally eight of us.  I dropped out of all the church activities because I couldn’t hear (i.e., understand or discern) what was being said.  If I was in a group of say, 10 or so people, and they were all talking to each other, I developed a roar in my head and couldn’t hear anyone who was right beside me.  By early April of 2018 I decided to also drop out of the men’s lunch group in that I could only understand the person directly on my left (better ear). 

Previously in 2015 I had purchased a pair of Bose noise cancelling earphones, and later Bose Quiet Control 30 as well as other Bose earphone products, to manage the sensitivity to various noises.  They all helped the symptoms but didn’t help me hear. 

On April 23rd, 2018, I became aware of Bose Hearphones and purchased a set that very day.  They have changed my life!  I have gradually returned to all the activities that I dropped out of, with the exception of regularly attending church services.  (When I do attend, I turn to noise cancelling during music and group speaking.)  Is my hearing great?  No, it’s only passable.  During group discussions I am frequently changing the Hearphone settings.  If constant noise (i.e., talking) begins to bother me I go on noise cancelling (and no one knows!)  I can’t really understand someone 10 to 15 feet or so away from me.  I can’t understand someone behind me talking, or someone in front of me facing away from me talking.  But face to face, or on my left, or just a few feet from me, I can generally have a conversation with them.

My downside complaints. 

1. Since I generally wear the Hearphones many hours a day, they hurt my ears by nighttime. Audiologists tell me that I should wear my hearing aids all the time to keep what few hair cells are left alive and using the Hearphones provides the same stimulation to such.  At times when I do not expect to be listening to anyone I use my hearing aids which provides some relief.  It is my opinion that the oval shape of the Hearphone ear buds causes the pain.  (I’ve tried all the sizes; the medium works best for me.)  I have some (not Bose) ear buds which are round that I use to listen to books; they do not cause any problems for me.  Perhaps the oval shape is required to obtain the necessary seal for noise cancelling, but round would be much more comfortable.
  2. On the app, some minor improvements would be appreciated.
    1. Provide a ‘lock’ button of some sort, so that as I’m replacing my phone in its’ holder I don’t accidently dramatically change the volume control (which happens more than I would like.)
    2. Relocate the mute button from the bottom of the volume wheel. It seems when I mute I frequently also accidently and unknowingly hit the volume wheel so that when I unmute I either can’t hear at all or the volume blasts me out.
    3. Actually, I would prefer digital volume and treble control buttons to the analogue wheel, but that is a preference rather than problem.

Finally, I’m EAGERLY awaiting the announcement of the Bose Hearing Aids.  Any word yet?  If they provide hearing as well as the Hearphones I will purchase them as they would eliminate the annoying neck apparatus and wires.  And I’m hopeful that they might even provide some hearing improvement over the Hearphones.

Hi Everybody,

Thank you for sharing your stories. It's heart warming to hear how Bose Hearphones have made a difference in your lives. This inspires us.

Thank you,

ST

Hi Habakkuk,

"Perhaps the oval shape is required to obtain the necessary seal for noise cancelling, but round would be much more comfortable."

You're right. The seal is required for the noise cancelling.

About the app; lock button, mute button, and digital control buttons - please follow this link and add  your thoughts into the

Feature Requests

discussion.

Thank you,

ST

wrote:

My story.  Long and involved, but basically good news at the end.

Already having age related hearing loss and wearing high end hearing aids, in late November 2014 I developed what was 15 months later diagnosed as Patulous Eustachian Tubes; they stayed open all the time.  An additional diagnosis in 2016 revealed I have an opening on my right side in the bone between the middle ear and the brain cavity (Superior semi-circular canal dehisense).  Major symptoms for me were ear fullness (pressure), hearing loss, and extreme sensitivity to certain noises: paper crackling, dishes clattering, crowds talking.  The disorders cannot be corrected but the symptoms can be alleviated to some extent, although in 2016 I could locate only four surgeons in the United States who specialized in such.  Seven surgeries later the symptoms are somewhat relieved, however they also contributed to additional hearing loss which is now moderate to severe. 

Retired, my major group activities before all this began had been at my church, where I participated in services, adult Sunday School, and three study classes during the week.  I also had lunch once a month with a small group of men, generally eight of us.  I dropped out of all the church activities because I couldn’t hear (i.e., understand or discern) what was being said.  If I was in a group of say, 10 or so people, and they were all talking to each other, I developed a roar in my head and couldn’t hear anyone who was right beside me.  By early April of 2018 I decided to also drop out of the men’s lunch group in that I could only understand the person directly on my left (better ear). 

Previously in 2015 I had purchased a pair of Bose noise cancelling earphones, and later Bose Quiet Control 30 as well as other Bose earphone products, to manage the sensitivity to various noises.  They all helped the symptoms but didn’t help me hear. 

On April 23rd, 2018, I became aware of Bose Hearphones and purchased a set that very day.  They have changed my life!  I have gradually returned to all the activities that I dropped out of, with the exception of regularly attending church services.  (When I do attend, I turn to noise cancelling during music and group speaking.)  Is my hearing great?  No, it’s only passable.  During group discussions I am frequently changing the Hearphone settings.  If constant noise (i.e., talking) begins to bother me I go on noise cancelling (and no one knows!)  I can’t really understand someone 10 to 15 feet or so away from me.  I can’t understand someone behind me talking, or someone in front of me facing away from me talking.  But face to face, or on my left, or just a few feet from me, I can generally have a conversation with them.

My downside complaints. 

1. Since I generally wear the Hearphones many hours a day, they hurt my ears by nighttime. Audiologists tell me that I should wear my hearing aids all the time to keep what few hair cells are left alive and using the Hearphones provides the same stimulation to such.  At times when I do not expect to be listening to anyone I use my hearing aids which provides some relief.  It is my opinion that the oval shape of the Hearphone ear buds causes the pain.  (I’ve tried all the sizes; the medium works best for me.)  I have some (not Bose) ear buds which are round that I use to listen to books; they do not cause any problems for me.  Perhaps the oval shape is required to obtain the necessary seal for noise cancelling, but round would be much more comfortable.
  2. On the app, some minor improvements would be appreciated.
    1. Provide a ‘lock’ button of some sort, so that as I’m replacing my phone in its’ holder I don’t accidently dramatically change the volume control (which happens more than I would like.)
    2. Relocate the mute button from the bottom of the volume wheel. It seems when I mute I frequently also accidently and unknowingly hit the volume wheel so that when I unmute I either can’t hear at all or the volume blasts me out.
    3. Actually, I would prefer digital volume and treble control buttons to the analogue wheel, but that is a preference rather than problem.

Finally, I’m EAGERLY awaiting the announcement of the Bose Hearing Aids.  Any word yet?  If they provide hearing as well as the Hearphones I will purchase them as they would eliminate the annoying neck apparatus and wires.  And I’m hopeful that they might even provide some hearing improvement over the Hearphones.

Thanks for your comments, I have some of the same issues. The HearPhones are good and with a few changes could be fantastic.  

wrote:

Hi Habakkuk,

"Perhaps the oval shape is required to obtain the necessary seal for noise cancelling, but round would be much more comfortable."

You're right. The seal is required for the noise cancelling.

About the app; lock button, mute button, and digital control buttons - please follow this link and add  your thoughts into the

Feature Requests

discussion.

Thank you,

ST

Yes, it's more or less obvious that a good seal is required for noise cancelling.  The point I'm attempting to make is: "Has Bose concluded from its' research that an oval shape makes a better (barely, somewhat, significantly - which, if at all) seal than a round shape?"  As I previously stated, a round shape feels much better in my ears.  My ears frequently hurt later in the afternoon when I have been wearing the Hearphones since early morning.