This unit is basically "throw away" after the battery dies

Bose tells me that the batteries are good for about 500 recharge cycles. Once the battery dies you have to buy a new unit. No provisions for battery replacement. This means you may need to replace the unit with a new one in less than 2 years if you use daily. Very sad - I LOVE these things. 

Your make a good point. On the other hand, spending $1 a day seems a fair price to pay to better hear the world around me.

MadMike545796 you make a good point as well - it is worth a buck a day. However, this kind of thing sickens me and I feel like it is slimy and unethical on the part of Bose. Also, while I may have missed it, I saw no mention of the very significant fact that this unit is throw away hardware in any of the related documentation. I only found out about the supposed 500 charge cycles in a phone conversation with the tech at Bose. I think if you're going to sell something that has a life limit that is this short (estimate less than 2 years for daily user) you should tell potential buyers. At least inform them that battery replacement is not an option and once a battery is exhausted the unit is useless. 

I am still on the fence on whether I should return my unit (still within the allotted time frame). I really do like it and I think it may be the start of some great changes in the industry. I just thought Bose was a better company than this...

Well that is certainly disappointing to learn. I'm still in the 30 day trial period and love my Hearphones. I had no idea though that they would die after just 500 recharge cycles. It's giving me second thoughts even though I can't imagine going with them, and I certainly can't afford actual hearing aids. It was difficult for me to come up with the funds for the Hearphones, and I can't imagine having to buy new ones every year and a half. You're right, it's really sad. 😞

Hi silvergull,

Thank you for joining the Bose Hear Community. 

I understand your concern. Modern battery technology is so much better than in the past, but it is not perfect. It's also not a certainty the battery will die after 500 charge cycles. 

Most of my devices that have rechargeable batteries will have to be replaced at some point because the batteries aren't replaceable. I end up paying in other ways with the devices that have replaceable batteries. Things seem to balance out.

You have a full year warranty on your Hearphones. If you are concerned that you the battery life has diminished considerably within that time, you can call us.  We have a dedicated support line specifically for Hearphones.  Bose Hearphones Support 1-800-761-2673

You said you love your Hearphones, and we love to hear that. I hope you will continue to enjoy them and find enough value in the experience to keep them. 

Sincerely,

ST

Thank you so much, ST. What you have said makes sense, and I'll certainly keep that in mind. I did also purchase the 3 year protection plan. Will that cover new hearphones if the battery does die before that 3 year period is over? The terms of the protection plan do say I'd be covered if the device stops powering on, but it doesn't specifically mention batteries. Thank you so much for your help.

Hi silvergull,

It sounds like we're on the same page.  For others reading along, here is a link to the Bose SoundProtection plan

If the Hearphones won't power on for whatever reason, it looks like you're covered. If you have any other questions about how the SoundProtection plan works, please call us. Bose Hearphones Support 1-800-761-2673. We want you to feel confident about your decision.

ST

Thank you! I'm so happy to learn this and glad that I opted for the 3 year plan. My Bose Hearphones have truly changed my daily life, and I don't want to give them up. 🙂 I don't have to ask for the closed caption device at the movies any more, I no longer blast my husband out of the living room with high volume when we watch tv, and I can even  hear him if we are eating in a noisy restaurant. Meetings at work and social gatherings are no longer uncomfortably garbled. In addition, I can keep my tinnitus masking app streaming to the Hearphones all the time so I don't go mad from the ringing in my ears. I am very much in love with these Hearphones! The only thing that is difficult about them is that the app often claims it can't find the Hearphones even though it's connected (even if I try all of the suggested approaches to fix it), but that's a minor daily struggle that that I can live with, lol It eventually sees the Hearphones one way or another. I have been highly recommending them to anyone who asks me about them. Thank you again so much!

I am confused. I went to the Squaretrade site (https://www.squaretrade.com/terms-standard) that I think explains the extended warranty. Item "M" under the heading "things not covered" says this:  "M. Consumer replaceable or consumable batteries unless Battery Coverage has been offered and purchased at the time of sale with Your Protection Plan". What exactly does this mean? If I buy the 3 year extended warranty will they replace the unit if the battery dies before the 3 year period? What is the "Battery Coverage" and can I add that. What is the cost of this?

Hi mwj1,

Thanks for asking about the Bose SoundProtection plan

"M. Consumer replaceable or consumable batteries unless Battery Coverage has been offered and purchased at the time of sale with Your Protection Plan".

Bose Hearphones don't have ""consumer or replaceable or consumable batteries".

If you have questions about the  Bose SoundProtection plan please call us. Bose Hearphones Support 1-800-761-2673.

Thank you,

ST