Totally turn off bluetooth function

I had already tried  "phone free mode "

But even in this mode , Sleepbuds 's bluetooth function is still enable .

I have some RF meter in my hand , so I know bluetooth is still working .

I know it's low energy bluetooth and we often use wifi .etc that have higher radiation exposure .

But the distance between your devices and your head is very matter when we talk about  the radiation exposure.

The  RF meter does not lie . The radiation strength of  low energy bluetooth like Sleepbuds use will decrease quickly when you leave it in several cm and the 3G/4G or wifi can remain  radiation strength for much more distance.

But the Sleepbuds is in my ear , I measure the radiation strength near the Sleepbuds under phone free mode . The radiation strength for me is not acceptable . It is still emit signal continually every second , I know Sleepbuds doesn't transmit data to phone. But it still  emit signal for waiting phone to reconnect to it .

Could I just disable the  bluetooth function ? Mabye let it on some waiting mode , does not  emit signal actively in  "phone free mode " ?

Thanks~

Hi r91085,

Thanks for posting. Bose noise-masking sleepbuds™ achieve ultra-low radiation exposure because we do not stream audio or other content throughout the night. Instead, the product plays back audio files that are stored locally. Also, sleepbuds™ use a class-Ill Bluetooth® radio, which has the lowest transmit power among all the Bluetooth ® classes. Over the entire night, sleepbuds™ emit a fraction of what traditional Bluetooth® headsets emit during a single phone call even in "Phone Free Mode."

Regards,

Tony G - Community Support

In another post I read that bluetooth turns off after 10 minutes? Now I understand, that it does not? For me 10 minutes is acceptable, the  entire night, definitely not.

Hi   

The issue of whether the  Sleepbuds transmit/listen for RF signals when in phonefree mode has been raised again. It seems that they might do for the first 10 minutes but then they should be totally silent from all transmitting/receiving. Is this what you found in your tests? 

Bose support say one thing one day and another thing the next. Their technical experts seem to disagree as to what they actually are supposed to do.  Of course,  it's possible that they do something quite different from what they're supposed to do too!  Some of the Bose Community are really interested in your post regarding testing the buds with an RF meter and would like to know:

- what equipment you used

- how did you test them

- what were you trying to measure

- the results you got

I can see you posted your details in January but do you still have the Sleepbuds and RF meter? If we had more questions, would you be able to repeat the experiment? 

Any help in clearing up the confusion around this issue would be greatly appreciated. 

Copied to   

Still no answer from them... I wish Bose would be more definitive about this

I had already sold my Sleepbuds before because this issue.

The EMF harm of human body is a controversial issue. Just like many issue in the area of health , the authority usually change their position slowly. So the Bose pick up the loose standard for measure EMF harm is understandable. But I just want to use more serious standard on product I wear in EMF harm area.

There are many Website talking about EMF like this:
http://www.norad4u.com/knowledge

The equipment I used is below:
1.Cornet ED88TPlus
2.Trifield TF2
3.Tenmars TM-196

The bluetooth signal is 2.4ghz RF , I just put Sleepbuds close to these meters like it close to my head and read the result on the meters.

In my memory , the RF electromagnetic wave field strength I get is about 5000~10000 µW/m2 , this strength is not acceptable for me. In my room , the normal strength is 30~100 µW/m2.

The Sleepbuds need to emit signal then the phone can found it and connect to it. If Sleepbuds could totally disable bluetooth function , it should need another way to re-enable bluetooth (maybe put it back to the box).

Because if Sleepbuds already disable it's bluetooth function , the phone has not way to connect to it, it need someone else to trigger the bluetooth function on.

So if your phone always can connect to the Sleepbuds at any time, I think it's bluetooth function is still active in some way.

Just for your reference.

Thanks r91085. This is very useful as it puts facts and figures to the Bluetooth connection.

Just two questions …

- Were the Sleepbuds in phone free mode when you did the test?
- Did you see the strength of the signal reduce after 10 minutes?

Many thanks.

1. Yes, I have did this test under phone free mode. I also test it under normal mode.

But In my test , it seems under phone free mode or not does not make the result  a significant difference.

2. I did not do the test after 10 minutes. I did not know this information when I do the test .

But as I mentioned before , if you can disable phone free mode by phone App , it means there is still a connection between your Sleepbuds and phone under phone free mode.

I think phone free mode already cut off some transmit on Sleepbuds. But if Sleepbuds totally turn off  bluetooth function under phone free mode, it should not be able to using phone to get back to normal mode.

As long as you could do any control to Sleepbuds by phone App , the bluetooth function is still alive . This is what I thought.

Hello Everyone, 

Thank you for taking the time to post on this Community thread. We know a few of you have had questions surrounding Phone Free Mode and the amount of radiation the Sleepbuds emit, so we have compiled all of the information together, to hopefully answer your questions. 

How does ‘Phone Free Mode’ work?

When placing the Sleepbuds™ into ‘Phone Free Mode’ the Buds will advertise (been seen) over BLE for a period of 10 minutes, starting when they are placed into phone-free mode, or whenever they are initially removed from the case. In Phone-Free Mode, your pre-selected sleep sound will play as soon as the buds are removed from the charging case, no app required, but wake up alarms are disabled while in this mode. After a period of 10 minutes, the Buds can no longer be found over Bluetooth and will need to be put back into the case in order to establish a Bluetooth connection.

Do I need to worry about Radiation when not in ‘Phone Free Mode’?

Bose noise-masking Sleepbuds™ achieve ultra-low radiation exposure because we do not stream audio or other content throughout the night. Instead, the product plays back audio files that are stored locally. In addition, Sleepbuds™ use a class-Ill Bluetooth® radio, which has the lowest transmit power among all the Bluetooth ® classes. Over the entire night, Sleepbuds™ emit a fraction of what traditional Bluetooth® headsets emit during a single phone call.

Can the sound levels damage my hearing through continued use?

Bose noise-masking Sleepbuds™ will have a maximum sound pressure level (SPL) output of 70dBA, which is well under the OSHA and EU limits for hearing damage. Note that sound pressure is measured on a logarithmic scale. 80dBA is twice the perceived loudness of 70dBA and 10 times the sound intensity (power); 90 dBA is four times the perceived loudness of 70dBA and 100 times the sound intensity (power).

In the U.S., OSHA sets the maximum exposure limit for an 8-hour work period at 90dBA, but also mentions that the employer must implement a hearing conservation program if levels exceed 85dBA. https://bit.ly/2Zyp6ZV.

In the European Union (EU), the Noise-at-Work Regulations (Directive 2003/10/EC) sets the maximum 8-hour exposure limit at 80dBA before some type of hearing protection must be provided. Below this limit, the risk to hearing is assumed to be negligible. https://bit.ly/2WQmdlH.

If you have any further questions please let us know and one of our moderators would be more than happy to assist. 

Kind Regards, 

Community Admin

Hi r91085,

Thanks for doing these tests & taking the time to post your findings! 

With regards to the 10 min. transmit time, once that has elapsed, you cannot cancel phone free mode via the app or communicate in any way with the Sleepbuds. You need to return them to the case & take them out to connect, or control them.

So we really need to test this after the 10 minute ‘advertisement’ time to know if they are off for the night.

I’m so angry that Bose are unable or unwilling to give a straight answer on this.