Trying to get the best vocal setting

I’m in the process of tuning my T1 for what I hope to be a very good vocal sound. I admit I’m not the best vocalist, but there is only me so…I own 2 sets of L1 Model 2 with four B1’s. I’m going to use my Shure SM58 this time simply because I want to check the presets on the TI. I’m very challenged with EQ, compression, delay and reverb. My voice is more Willie Nelson sounding that Tony Bennett. So I’m trying to get a nice quality setting that will compliment my voice. Having said all of that here’s what I’m looking for = SILKY, SMOOTH. Of course, isn’t everyone?
Back in the 60’s-70’s all we had to work with was reverb or echo and no eq. These days I’d be happy with the old rock-abilly-sound that Elvis used, not that I’ll ever sound like him. I also use a Digitech Vocalist for harmonies which complicates things when it comes to gain settings. I’m trying to figure out how to run the harmonies through one channel on the TI and the mic through another. Simple is better at least for me. Any good suggestions will be tried. Thanks…The old Coot.

Sing the best you can into the best mic you can find that fits your vocal style and timbre. Listen to the L1 and adjust by ear until you’re happy enough (most singers are never completely happy and that might not be a bad thing).

I hope this isn’t to late to be helpful. I have found with the sm58’s and the beta 58’s that the presets are a little too bright and the body is a bit lacking. Here are the settings i use:

On the zEQ I bring the bass up by 1.4 db the middle up by 1 db and I roll back the highs to -2db. That has worked for me on countless voices as far as EQ using those mics.

ParaEQ is just for eliminating feedback if it’s an issue. And while different rooms and environments will affect which frequencies feed back, so far in my experience with these mics and the L1 I find that around 4k is usually the culptrit so I set it the paraEQ up to deal with that as follows. Level= -5.2db, freq = 4050hz, width = 0.77 oct. By default I have it on bypass because I usually don’t need it. Then I can just engage it if necessary.

I don’t use the comp/gate although some guys like to use the gate to help with feedback. Don’t use the mod on vocals either.

Delay I have set up as follows type = analog, mix between 12% and 20% (to taste), time 275ms (it’s the default and works well with vocals, I like 450ms for guitar soloing) and feedback 12%, you can toggle that with the 3rd encoding knob by pushing it down.

Reverb mix between 15% and 20% depending on the room and the sound you want and I leave the bright at the default 50%.

Reverb type which is a global setting I set up as follows type = medium, time =2.46s and the balance at 50%.

And that’s it, give it a shot and see if it works for you.

Kevin

Hi Kevin (Litesnsirens)

Please see Vocal Microphone Presets - Close Microphone Technique

New discussion spun off from your post above.

Hi Coot,

Let me encourage you to start simple and get the best vocal sound you can, and then add things one at a time. This means starting with your microphone, your T1®, one Model II and two B1s.

First: Gain Staging.
Please check out these notes for gain staging a microphone with the T1®. (click the picture)

Gain Staging on the T1 ToneMatch Audio Engine

–?8T? Please click the picture for more details ?T8?--

For best results, you will do the rest of your experimenting in a gig sized space at full performance volume. This is because our perception of tone varies with volume and effects like reverb and delay sound different depending the size of the room you are in.

On your vocal microphone channel on the T1®

1. If you haven’t already done it, set the T1® Preset to:
    Category: Vocal Mics
    Preset: Shure SM58

2. Set the zEQ to bypass (Low, Mid, High) (press the buttons)

3. Set the ParaEQ to bypass (press the button)

4. Press the FX Mute button so that the light comes on.

5. Use the close microphone technique (lips so close to the microphone that you are just brushing the windscreen with your lips). The Presets for vocal microphones were developed for use with this technique.

At this point, things should be sounding really good. Now adjust the zEQ if you feel you need it, and then add effects sparingly.

How does that sound?

Once you have a great sound with the microphone, T1® and Model II with two B1s, add the second Model II with two B1s.

After that you can try various approaches with the Digitech Vocalist.

First, it’s never to late to get good stuff. I appreciate everyones input. Of course there will be obstacles that I can’t overcome such as setting my system up in a “gig” room and doing the settings you offer. I’ll do that during my next gig which isn’t until August. I usually play small rooms anyway = 75-100 people. My studio is 14X14. Past that, I’m pretty well read on setting “trim”. I will try what you suggest for the rest momentarily.
At present I am using my favorite mic which is an old EV 857B, I like it because it seems to have more “balls” that any other mic I’ve tried with the exception of some of the Heil mics.
My present settings are as follows:

Comp2: Thresh -16.0db Gain 5.0db
Delay: Anolog Mix 43% Time 183.1ms
Reverb: Mix 33% Bright 55%
zEQ: Low 0.2db Mid -0.4db High -0.4db

How does it sound? Certainly not warm, smooth and silky. It does “fatten” the voice some but still has a small “tunnelish” sound. I’m really challenged on zeq and para eq, so I’ll get crackin on some of your suggestions and let you know what happens. Again thanks to all for the suggestions. Always good to hear from a pro. Smile

Coot

Kevin. I just tried your suggestions with a Shure 58. I noticed I had to increase the trim on that channel. Remember, I use the EV 857b which is a more powerful mic. Results?

Because I filter through the Digitech Vocalist, I have to watch the trim settings there also. But it wasn’t bad. I like a little more verb and delay, so I set the it to Comp1 and that seemed to help.
So all in all your counsel works. I will use that channel for a friend of mine who works with me periodically.
Now I’ll try ST’s advise but using my EV857 with preset EV967.
One other thing I should mention. I’m a one piece band (most of the time). I play a Korg PA2x Arranger through channels 4&5. My settings on the Tonematch are flat and it seems to sound pretty good, no complaints from the audiences. My genre of music is audience generated but mostly, James Taylor, Jimmy Buffet, Alan Jackson, some blues, and oldies. All in all not to noisy, But I’m also seeking better ways to get the best sound. Any counsel from you folks is appreciated. Man am I having fun now.
Smile

Coot (70yrs old)

I used these settings for the bose T1 and they worked great!!  I tried them with the bose T4S and I still get feedback and don't sound near as good as on the T1.  Help!