Updater goes to 99% and then drops down to 50%

I've seen a few posts for this but I don't see the answer that suits me.

These are Soundsport free earbuds and I've been using Bose Connect to update the firmware. No matter what I do, the update goes from 99% down to 50%. It's happened about ten times so far. I'm clearly a lot more patient than others here!

A few posts talk about going to the Bose updater site, btu.bose.com. I don't see where you update there. It just is a landing page for various support issues (maybe it changed recently?)

This isn't a USB connected product. I can only do this via Bluetooth. So how do I do this if my only option isn't working?

Update: after 5 more hours of running the updater to see the same 99%>50%, the only thing that worked was going to a physical device, using the btu.bose.com site (it doesn't work in mobile mode, but Bose doesn't tell us this and instead redirects it to the standard support page - c'mon Bose, you can do better), downloading the launcher app, and then plugging the case with the USB cable into my computer to update the firmware.

In other words, the Bluetooth enabled functionality is a bust and Bose's tech team needs to fix the updater website to at least inform mobile device owners that it doesn't actually, uh, work.