What are you doing with your extra time these days

Hi Everybody,

Let's share some ideas about self-care and how we can be kind to ourselves and one another in these difficult times.

This is off-topic for our community but we can do this productively if we focus on how we are filling the time left to us because of canceled gigs.

For me, this has given me time to catch up on some writing, finish some songs, get reacquainted with my gear, and get in touch with distant connections. Next, I want to explore ways to collaborate with musicians online and I'm considering virtual shows.

What are you doing?

Sincerely,

ST

PS

Please - This is not the place to talk about why we're not gigging these days.  There are lots of other places to talk about COVID-19. Let's not bring politics, extreme behaviors, or social criticism into this, and leave the memes and joke threads for other sites.

Thank you.

As a legend in my spare time, I'm still working full-time. But, my part-time acoustic group (The Windbags) is going to hold an online gig on April 3rd to take the place of our actual gig that was cancelled. I'm looking forward to giving that a whack!

Well, normally I'd say charging my S1.    

But you helped fix that issue ST. And thank you for that.

Stay healthy my Friend !  🙂

Watching my second, dormant, S1 Pro to see how long the battery lasts 

Actually I plan to spend extra time practicing and recording. Hopefully I'll end up a better guitar player at the end of it 

My job is starting a 50/50 (week on/week off) schedule this week, so I'll be catching up on finishing up our demo music video, AV projects at church (video system and AV network upgrades), prep'ing new songs on the band "learn list", working on the band lighting setup, taking some guitars in for setup/repair and, of course, yardwork

Jeff

Hey Guys,

Let's keep it light. If you want to talk about our Bose gear, please post in the appropriate forum.

Thanks,

ST

Here in Arizona this is our busiest season.  I have a day job as a Registered Investment Advisor so this is a double whammy!  I am just practicing all my various instruments and learning new songs.  I have had six concerts rescheduled.  My advice is try to reschedule cancelled gigs immediately instead of just cancelling them.  Take some advice from a very seasoned vet.  This will end and there may be pent up demand.  Call your clients and make plans for the future.  Also, this may be a good time to make repairs to equipment you could not do without.  

1) LESS Arguing with "idiots" in on-line comment threads.

2) Scheduled and will convene a weekly Zoom on-line recovery meeting.

3) More writing, recording in my studio.

4) Exploring on-line gigging options (all gigs cancelled for now).

Any help with #4 would be GREATLY appreciated!

What I've learned so far is:

A friend of mine tried Next Music Festival yesterday.  The interface is very 'busy' and clunky, it's HEAVILY inundated with ads and seems game oriented with "music" as a add-on.  Hard to use, hard to access.

My friend did some 'concerts' on Periscope -- I'm going to suggest that we revisit that platform.

I was in a Zoom meeting yesterday and it worked quite well.  It's an option for invitation only "concerts" for up to 49 people (gallery mode) if people behave themselves (mute their audio) and give donations on another platform such as paypal it's an OK option.  And it's only $15 a month for "meetings" longer than 40 minutes.

Meantime, as a 75 year old cardiac case, I'm completely self-quarantined for now...but still HEALTHY...gotta' walk around the farm more though...

Stay healthy, Chet. My CF daughter (and our cajon player) is in the same at-risk boat. If the 1918 flu epidemic treatment plan was any indication, they found that getting plenty of fresh air and sunshine really *was* beneficial in prevention and treatment, even to the point that they moved many ICU patients outside whenever possible to successfully aid the recovery of many. With many of us in a reduced work status, we should all take some of that time to "walk around the farm more", for both our physical AND mental well-being

Jeff

Good fresh air and some walking/exercise is always a good thing. I’m just woodshedding on doing more jazz repertoire and experimenting with our 2 S1s.

Please limit your conversion to Bose gear on this forum. I know everyone is upset that so many of our shows are cancelled, including all mine and my band.

Be thankful for your blessings, take care of yourselves and your family. We will all get through.

PLEASE be respectful to ST's comments on running this forum. God Bless! Thanks for your understanding! 

gerardsound posted:

Please limit your conversion to Bose gear on this forum. I know everyone is upset that so many of our shows are cancelled, including all mine and my band.

Be thankful for your blessings, take care of yourselves and your family. We will all get through.

PLEASE be respectful to ST's comments on running this forum. God Bless! Thanks for your understanding! 

I'm not sure what you're referring to, it appears you don't realize the intent of this thread that was started by ST. Please re-read his opening statement in which he identifies this as an Off Topic thread. Then read his reply to a subsequent comment referencing a Bose gear issue, in which he specifically stated, "If you want to talk about our Bose gear, please post in the appropriate forum". This is a discussion about what we can do with our newfound abundance of time and what we can do in taking care of ourselves and each other.

Thanks,
Jeff

Oh and the real thing I’m doing? Painting our sunroom per my wife’s instructions, ??

gerardsound posted:

Exactly where did you rear ST saying to limit this to Bose Equipment?
Easy on the clutch there gerardsound...

Quote form ST:

"For me, this has given me time to catch up on some writing, finish some songs, get reacquainted with my gear, and get in touch with distant connections. Next, I want to explore ways to collaborate with musicians online and I'm considering virtual shows."

Hi, gerardsound,

Thanks for joining the conversation.

gerardsound posted:

Please limit your conversion to Bose gear on this forum.

I'm sorry. I should have been clearer.  My request "Let's keep it light. If you want to talk about our Bose gear, please post in the appropriate forum." meant - if you want to talk about your S1, L1, F1, or ToneMatch mixers - please post that in one of the other forums dedicated to Bose equipment.

This conversation is about us as musicians, people, members of a community.

I know everyone is upset that so many of our shows are cancelled, including all mine and my band.

Be thankful for your blessings, take care of yourselves and your family.

We will all get through. PLEASE be respectful to ST's comments on running this forum. God Bless! Thanks for your understanding! 

Thanks for your kind thoughts.

ST

Today I contacted a couple of people I haven't talked to in a long time.

One of them told me her children (spread all over hither and yon) had all called home to check-in over the last couple of days.  She told me how much that meant to her.

That quick conversation reminded me how much a little contact can mean when things are uncertain.

ST

Thanks for all you do ST, I get it. Be safe!

Great idea, @ST.

She Who Must Be Obeyed (SWMBO) and I were instructed to work from home. That resulted in the generation of a list of things that I need to do - e.g. install new smoke/CO detectors, paint a room etc etc.

I will get around to those. Eventually! Meanwhile I fixed the kitchen faucet and the light in the cold room ... so the list is held at bay. For now!

Last evening I discovered that the MetOpera is streaming some opera for free over the next few days. Today I watched a beautiful production of Carmen (Elina Garanca as Carmen and Robert Alagna as Don Jose) (IMHO one of the best operas). I plan to watch a few more - they are streaming one a day.

This evening I got in 10,000 steps in one walk ... which is a nice achievement. Bonus was that this walk was with SWMBO!

Oh and I can now work on some new cover songs that I have in my 'pipeline'.

Over time we'll all figure out a new routine I guess. Stay safe all ... and keep smiling.

Cheers!

Not to make light of a serious situation, but to be a little light hearted:

ST posted:

Hi, gerardsound,

Thanks for joining the conversation.

gerardsound posted:

Please limit your conversion to Bose gear on this forum.

I'm sorry. I should have been clearer.  My request "Let's keep it light. If you want to talk about our Bose gear, please post in the appropriate forum." meant - if you want to talk about your S1, L1, F1, or ToneMatch mixers - please post that in one of the other forums dedicated to Bose equipment.

This conversation is about us as musicians, people, members of a community.

I know everyone is upset that so many of our shows are cancelled, including all mine and my band.

Be thankful for your blessings, take care of yourselves and your family.

We will all get through. PLEASE be respectful to ST's comments on running this forum. God Bless! Thanks for your understanding! 

Thanks for your kind thoughts.

ST

Yes, I know I haven't always given you an easy time but I have said it before and will say it again here, your patience and courtesy has been exemplary.

Stay safe.