What are you doing with your extra time these days

At least your keeping busy Karl! ??

I'll be spending my extra time finding good condition CLASSICS for sale.  Gonna buy em all up !!

Well Karl makes me want to burn one, .................. but I don't have one to burn. Probably would just put me on the couch for a few hours any way. It's been awhile so It might be an adventure.

Wife said, "put that guitar down and your pants on."

O..

Karl,O

Thanks for the morning chuckle.

Here's a link to some fun discussions.

Who is here?

ST

Hi, tomdavisdotcom.

tomdavisdotcom posted:

I'll be spending my extra time finding good condition CLASSICS for sale.  Gonna buy em all up !!

CLASSICS?

Classic what?

ST

ST posted:

Hi, tomdavisdotcom.

tomdavisdotcom posted:

CLASSICS?

Classic what?

ST

My guess is L1 Classics ...

Hi ST (and everyone else reading this topic.

Thanks for starting this. You always manage to find some interesting way for us to interact with each other, and this is no exception.

There have been some pretty interesting and inventive activities described here. Reading some of the present (and revisiting past) forum threads are a good way to spend some of the time. This is certainly what I'm doing some of the time.

ST: how far do you have to travel to visit your wood/forest? It looks beautiful and somehow doesn't fit in with the picture I've painted of you in my minds eye. I guess I more or less had you in office buildings and gig locations with (and sleeping in front of your PC on the forum like Neo in The Matrix ). Maybe that is your normal habitat. If so I'm glad to see that you've now at least got time to spend outside with nature. Definitely good for the soul.

Archtop Eddy posted:

Thanks ST for the beautiful pics. I can almost smell the fresh air!

Well Eddy considering where you live your sense of smell should be less contaminated than most of us . As you know, I've seen a picture of your "back yard" on another thread.

Archtop Eddy posted:

I'm working on a great new TrueFire jazz guitar course by Tim Lerch called Solo Pathways Chordal Improv.  You can find it at TrueFire.com

Certainly a good way to spend some of your time. When I took early retirement at the end of 2012 I started looking at different styles etc. and my guitar playing has certainly reached a new level since then.

Sam Spoons posted:

Having spent the weekend closing down my caravan (holiday home/trailer in US English?).

Where is your caravan situated Sam. I ask because of our connection to the area around Pennington Flash and that part of Lancashire/Greater Manchester.

I'm planning to spend time in my home studio becoming a better player and, finally, getting some decent recordings done, along with sorting out the workshop, doing various jobs around the house and garden and trying to remain sane.

Always a good idea practice and do what you enjoy. At our age we tend to have more time than most to follow our hobbies. However we don't always make full use of it as such.

We are much better off than many as we are in a position to weather the financial storm, for a while at least, so are not too worried from that POV but, amongst the stupid, selfish and occasionally nasty things people are doing there are plenty of examples of human kindness and empathy. Maybe our society will come out of this a nicer place to be...........

As a pensioner myself I'm grateful that I too don't have the financial worries that many have in these difficult times. 

I too have the hope that many of those who've only excelled through their negative view on life will maybe start to see things in a different light. I have my doubts though. It could however have a more binding effect on those of us for whom kindness and empathy are not strangers.

Will you still be able to sail on the Flash or has that possibility been closed down for the duration?

Karl 3 posted:

Most of my time since then has been watching the news,

Probably something that many if not most of us are doing at present

having two heart attacks per day,

Not good

canceling subscriptions,

Probably a pastime that many are practising in the current situation

hugging my kids n wife,

definitely a good idea

smoking 2 joints in the morning,

I can imagine that that helps to get you through day

Oldghm posted:

Well Karl makes me want to burn one, .................. but I don't have one to burn. Probably would just put me on the couch for a few hours any way. It's been awhile so It might be an adventure.

Well O.. I nearly ROFL when I read that

Wife said, "put that guitar down and your pants on."

O..

The mind boggles ... 

tomdavisdotcom posted:

If you're good at repairing electronic gear there's a lot of worse things you can do. I say repairing because Bose don't support the Classic any more and everything needs TLC at some time or other.

Thanks to all posting here. It certainly helps to pass the time under these very difficult circumstances.

I'll tell you a bit of what I'm doing in my next post.

Tony

So here's some of what I'm doing.

I'm very lucky to have a nice garden and Koi pond (roughly 10,000 gallons) so I can sit outside and watch what nature is doing at this time of year when everything is "waking up". The time of year is always one of the busier with the garden and pond. I really do consider myself to be lucky and privileged. Here are one or two pictures for those who may be interested.

I'm also playing a lot of guitar as I bought a new one two weeks ago which I can't put down as it's such a dream to play.

I learned to play guitar on an EKO Ranger 12 String (Dreadnaught body) lent to me by a friend. In 1977 I bought the same model and for several years it was my only acoustic guitar. It's been with me through thick and thin and I couldn't imagine parting with it, but nowadays it doesn't come up to my expectations as a musician. I've improved an awful lot since then.

About 18 month ago I started looking at 12 string guitars and played a Taylor 150e which is an excellent guitar for the money, but I was undecided as to whether or not to buy. The idea got shelved but not forgotten.

A few weeks ago I started looking again and became more and more interested in the Taylor V-Class 12 Fret Grand Concert instruments which Andy Powers at Taylor has been developing. My local dealer (I've known the guy running the acoustic guitar dept there for many years) had a 562ce V-Class in stock (they were introduced at the Summer Namm 2019, so they're pretty new on the scene). Anyway I drove there, tried it out against 2 other Taylor 12 Strings (a 150e and a 456ce-R). I found that I had trouble putting the 562ce down. It was so easy to play (due to the slightly shorter scale length, the 12 Fret construction and the small body size), the intonation was so good, and the sound just blew me away. I ended up walking out of the shop with the guitar case in my hand.

Since then I've played this guitar for many hours. As far as 12 strings go I've never played or heard anything like it. As you can probably tell, I'm so delighted with my new instrument that I've almost written a review. 

Anyway for those who are interested here are a couple of pictures.

You can see how small the body is if you compare it to the size of the headstock.

Seagullman posted:Sam Spoons posted:

Having spent the weekend closing down my caravan (holiday home/trailer in US English?).

Where is your caravan situated Sam. I ask because of our connection to the area around Pennington Flash and that part of Lancashire/Greater Manchester.

I'm planning to spend time in my home studio becoming a better player and, finally, getting some decent recordings done, along with sorting out the workshop, doing various jobs around the house and garden and trying to remain sane.

Always a good idea practice and do what you enjoy. At our age we tend to have more time than most to follow our hobbies. However we don't always make full use of it as such.

We are much better off than many as we are in a position to weather the financial storm, for a while at least, so are not too worried from that POV but, amongst the stupid, selfish and occasionally nasty things people are doing there are plenty of examples of human kindness and empathy. Maybe our society will come out of this a nicer place to be...........

As a pensioner myself I'm grateful that I too don't have the financial worries that many have in these difficult times. 

I too have the hope that many of those who've only excelled through their negative view on life will maybe start to see things in a different light. I have my doubts though. It could however have a more binding effect on those of us for whom kindness and empathy are not strangers.

Will you still be able to sail on the Flash or has that possibility been closed down for the duration?

Caravan is in Anglesey right on the coast of Holyhead bay, site closed for the duration from last Monday. The Flash is closed too but I brought the Blaze home so can do some fettling and bimbling (carbon fibre mast boom and racks need a repaint) and it's here for when things start to open up again. 

CityFolk posted:

Stay sage and healthy!

Don't know if it was a typo and you meant "safe", but "sage" is just as meaningful in these challenging days.

Hahaha yeah typo but it works too??. I changed it. 

Tony: Regarding entering songs into OnSong -- you may be able to find an on-line PDF to Text conversion tool that will allow you to extract the text from the pdfs and save some typing.  OnSong files are standard PC text files with the .onsong extension.  I find the most time consuming thing putting the chords inline with the lyrics in the right place but that's usually a good thing since most of the songs I've downloaded from the net have many wrong chords in the wrong places anyway.

I got through my eMail issues.  I had to delete my contact page on my website for now until I ad Captcha to it.  No big deal.  Still dealing with being unable to access my "account" at the new company...

4/5 of my band (absent our tempo and taste-challenged, loud conga player) will be doing an on-line concert next Tuesday - 11am our time, 2pm Pacific, 5pm Eastern. I'll post the link here in case y'all like Hawai'ian music and Hawai'ian style Classic Rock...

I've played around with YouTube Live fed by OBS (Open Broadcaster Software) with a Zoom Q4 attached to my laptop.  It worked fine although the 15-20 second lag (satellite internet) made monitoring the final product nearly impossible.

Today I'm going to see if I can use higher quality microphone(s) through my Octacapture interface as an alternate audio source...I plan to use my Touchmix 16 to feed the audio to the Live signal through the Octacapture and I'm looking into an HDMI to USB interface to use one of my high quality video cameras for the video AND audio signal as the best way to do it. 

We will be monitoring with my two S1 Pro systems.  I'll keep you posted.

OBS Studio is here:

https://obsproject.com/

I've been doing a lot of Zoom meetings, including starting a closed, substance recovery face to face meeting held every Wed and my cardiologist and I scheduled a Zoom meeting tomorrow. 

Now If I could figure out a way to get my teeth cleaned via Zoom I wouldn't have to cancel my dentist appointment next week.  🙂

Seagullman posted:

@JFd

Bonjour JFd,

nice to see you posting here again. I think we had a few exchanges here quite a while back now. I've a feeling I commented on the guitar in your picture as it looks like a Godin (would be fitting coming from Canada, and apparently the

Sounds interesting. I've just had a look at the Website. I like the look of the cafe. I'll bet the live evenings are nice affairs

It sometimes does take a while getting used to new things. They sometimes get in the way of what we do automatically. But live is live and sometimes even mistakes can be entertaining (like when you did your "14 songs for 14 days" which I've just had a quick glimpse of, and you were "surprised at what your looper was doing. I found that that was funny in a good way.

As I've just mentioned, I had a quick glimpse at the video. You have quite a mixed repertoire. I'll try to watch it in full. 

I too have a VoiceLive 3. With the looper and separate channels/effects for guitar and vocals I find it extremely versatile.

Take care of yourself too JF

Merci Tony!

Café Mariposa is a special place. Whereas most Open Mics venues are bars or cafés / restaurant that add Open Mics to attract people, the Mariposa is a musical venue that serves beverages and food. Makes a lot of difference when 99% of the people listen.

Not sure why I was surprised on the video; maybe I have pressed the wrong button.

I love the VoiveLive 3. I even use it when busking with the S1. I found a very small 12 V Lithium battery (TalentCell) that easily allows me 2 hours in the metro (8,000 mAh).

Cheers,

JFd

Oh, Yeah!  Here's what I did for the better part of the last two days:

Isolation Row

Song for the Pandemic Words by Joel Landy Music by Bob Dylan (gosh, I hope that's OK, Bob!)

Guitars, Bass and Vocal: Chet Gardiner Produced, engineered, videoed, directed, edited by Chet Gardiner, March 24th and 25th, 2020.

Tech PS: Recorded each part in front of my green screen in one take.  That's my excuse...

CityFolk posted:

Hi @Seagullman / Tony,

Thanks for your thoughtful reply and links! James is also one of our favorites as well. He is so down to earth and such a pro. His voice is soothing and he plays such a variety of songs.

I couldn't agree with you more. Really do think he's influenced me as an acoustic guitarist more than anyone else.

I’m definitely going to listen to that BBC concert. You’ve reminded me that I should be watching more music videos.

Yes you should ..  .. I think you'll enjoy the concert. Of course the video quality isn't absolutely state of the art, but that doesn't detract anything from the concert.

It is nice indeed to still be able to play music at least as a duo. Our daughter who plays bass with us lives nearby, but obviously with all this sheltering in place we can’t get together for now. She was rather tall for her age when growing up, She loved basketball so when it came around to middle school, the orchestra teacher assigned her the upright bass as she was the only one who could reach it! ??

I love upright basses. I'm just happy that I don't have to transport one myself.  Mind you, I wouldn't like to have to transport all my guitars in one go. I counted them out of interest last week. With my new Taylor I've got 18 one Yamaha Guitalele. I don't play all of them (most yes), but one or two have sentimental value.

Good thing for us as it’s been a real gift to share music as a family our other children love music as well. Our oldest daughter was a voice major in college, but she lives in Virginia now, but we see her often as that’s not that far away.

It's great if you can play and share music within the family. My wife studied music at the University of Music Franz Liszt in Weimar (what used to be East Germany) and teaches music at High School level (what the Germans call Gymnasium. The word has basically nothing to do with where people do physical exercises). She also plays in a Female Saxophone Quartett.

To try to uplift spirits, we played a concert off our front porch the other day  to maintain social distance which was wonderfully gratifying. For the neighbors as well as us since all of our near term performances have been cancelled like everyone else’s.

Over here there have been "call-ups" through social media (WhatsApp etc.) for musicians to open their windows/doors to the outside world and play Beethoven's "Ode to Joy" (at 6pm CET on Sundays) in the Key of D major (so that people can sing to it at the same time if there are more musicians within hearing distance playing. This song is accepted as the European National Anthem, and the idea being to show solidarity to Italy and other countries which have (and still are) been/being hit very hard by this pandemic. We've done this for the last 3 Sundays and then followed on with a few songs of our own choice. The neighbours have appreciated it each time. 

I think the aspect that is starting to weigh on us is the uncertainty we are all facing. If it’s not our health, it’s what will happen to the economies of our respective countries and our financial situation. Two different types of survival! ??

This is true, and I have hope that this situation will maybe do something to change many people's views on how to treat other people.

All we can do is to continue on as best we can taking things day by day. And of course play music. 

Stay safe and healthy!

Very true and thank you.

Take care yourselves

Tony

Chet posted:

Tony: Regarding entering songs into OnSong -- you may be able to find an on-line PDF to Text conversion tool that will allow you to extract the text from the pdfs and save some typing.  OnSong files are standard PC text files with the .onsong extension.  I find the most time consuming thing putting the chords inline with the lyrics in the right place but that's usually a good thing since most of the songs I've downloaded from the net have many wrong chords in the wrong places anyway.

Thanks for the tip Chet. As I've got loads of time as a retired person, it's not actually a bad idea to type it all in. It helps with learning the lyrics. As I've also noticed the problem with the lyrics it means that starting from scratch also points my focus in that direction.

I got through my eMail issues.  I had to delete my contact page on my website for now until I ad Captcha to it.  No big deal.  Still dealing with being unable to access my "account" at the new company...

Glad to hear that you've got at least some of the problem "sorted"

4/5 of my band (absent our tempo and taste-challenged, loud conga player) will be doing an on-line concert next Tuesday - 11am our time, 2pm Pacific, 5pm Eastern. I'll post the link here in case y'all like Hawai'ian music and Hawai'ian style Classic Rock...

Are you getting together for it, or all separately in your own homes. If the latter, I'll be very interested to hear how you cope with latency.

OBS Studio is here:

https://obsproject.com/

Thanks for the tip. I#ll have a look at that

I've been doing a lot of Zoom meetings, including starting a closed, substance recovery face to face meeting held every Wed and my cardiologist and I scheduled a Zoom meeting tomorrow. 

My wife been using Zoom with colleagues (more than 20 participants I believe). For practising her Sax Quartett are considering trying Mumble.

Now If I could figure out a way to get my teeth cleaned via Zoom I wouldn't have to cancel my dentist appointment next week.  🙂

Nice One ..

JFd posted:

Merci Tony!

Café Mariposa is a special place. Whereas most Open Mics venues are bars or cafés / restaurant that add Open Mics to attract people, the Mariposa is a musical venue that serves beverages and food. Makes a lot of difference when 99% of the people listen.

That is very true, especially if the music you play is not really loud and "thumpy" for want of a better word. It sounds like the kind of place I'd like to visit. A pity that the round trip is such a long one. 

Not sure why I was surprised on the video; maybe I have pressed the wrong button.

I think it was because your looper was still recording while you were speaking and it irritated you.

I love the VoiveLive 3. I even use it when busking with the S1. I found a very small 12 V Lithium battery (TalentCell) that easily allows me 2 hours in the metro (8,000 mAh).

I've looked that up. apparently they do one with a much larger capacity too.

Cheers,

JFd

Take care JFd

Tony

"Are you getting together for it, or all separately in your own homes. If the latter, I'll be very interested to hear how you cope with latency."

We are going to hold it on the large porch of one of my bandmates.  We will be at least 6' apart facing 30 degrees left in a line next to the outer railing facing the camera in the opposite corner.

The PA will be QSC Touchmix 16 to 2 Bose S1 Pros (for monitoring).

The streaming will be the mix from Touchmix (with stereo Townsend Sphere mic for backup) to Octacapture (with analog output TRS to XLR to Bose S1 Pros) with USB connection to Laptop running Open Broadcaster Studio to  stream on YouTube Live via DSL connection to internet - crossing fingers that not too many 'neighbors' will be hitting the net...

You can watch using player on main page of our website or better use the link to YouTube and enjoy the chat feature.  We'll be monitoring the chat and interact with audience members -- and THERE is where latency matters...there will be a lag between the time someone types something and we see and and can reply.

http://maukasoul.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5B5dxe2cWQ

We'll be going "live" at 10:45am HST (1:45pm PDT) with the last stages of setup and to make sure that stream is working, etc. with concert beginning at 11am HST.

Cool Chet.  I hope to catch it!