What to Buy

Hi everyone,

I am a mobile DJ that does mostly weddings and school dances. My typical wedding crowds are usually between 100-300 people, but I have done a few already that have had up to 500 people. I use two Bose L1 Compact systems for small receptions and ceremonies. When I need more bass for my smaller events, I use two Bose B2 bass modules that are crossed over using a dbx DriveRack PA2. For my bigger events, I use two Peavey PV118 subwoofers, and two Alto TS112 speakers. I am looking to lighten my load, but want to keep that 18" subwoofer sound for my bigger events and school dances. I am thinking about either the L1 Model II, or the F1 system. Since I already have to Bose B2 bass modules, it would (to me) make sense to buy the L1 Model II, but I don't know if they sell just the tower by itself. Do you guys have any recommendations of which system I should go with? Do you recommend any other systems by other brands (I know this is a Bose forum)? If I went with either Bose system, would you recommend a T4S or T8S ToneMatch mixer, or go without?

Thank you for your help.

Hi Ryan,

Welcome to the Bose Portable PA Community.  Thanks for your post (and for the embedded links). 

Ryan Martindale posted:

Hi everyone,

I am a mobile DJ that does mostly weddings and school dances. My typical wedding crowds are usually between 100-300 people, but I have done a few already that have had up to 500 people. I use two Bose L1 Compact systems for small receptions and ceremonies.

Thanks for the background information and context.

When I need more bass for my smaller events, I use two Bose B2 bass modules that are crossed over using a dbx DriveRack PA2. For my bigger events, I use two Peavey PV118 subwoofers, and two Alto TS112 speakers. I am looking to lighten my load, but want to keep that 18" subwoofer sound for my bigger events and school dances.

Yes, that 18" is heavy at 73 pounds.  Heavy compared to the F1 Subwoofer at 55 pounds, or the B2 at 45. 

I am thinking about either the L1 Model II, or the F1 system. Since I already have to Bose B2 bass modules, it would (to me) make sense to buy the L1 Model II, but I don't know if they sell just the tower by itself.

Bose always bundles a bass module (B1 or B2) with the L1 Model II. It was engineered as an integrated system. You may be able to work out an arrangement with a dealer. 

Do you guys have any recommendations of which system I should go with?

For the next big step up and the biggest noticeable difference, check out a couple of F1 stacks (F1 Model 812 with F1 Subwoofer).

Do you recommend any other systems by other brands (I know this is a Bose forum)? If I went with either Bose system, would you recommend a T4S or T8S ToneMatch mixer, or go without?

It depends - do you need vocal processing? You didn't mention Karaoke.  For "mostly weddings and school dances" you may not need much more processing with the F1 systems.

Thank you for your help.

Nice to meet you.

ST

Hey ST,

Thanks for the reply! The reason I brought up the T4S and T8S mixers is because I know there is a preset on the T1 mixer for DJ/Playback (Low Volume Music and High Volume Music). I didn't know if the F1 would benefit from those presets or not. I don't do any karaoke, just music playback and a wireless microphone for speeches/toasts.

Also, with the F1 stacks having a shorter height than the others, when they are on the floor with the dancers, will they block a lot of the sound? That is my main concern with the F1 system.

Thanks.

Hi Ryan,

Ryan Martindale posted:

Hey ST,

Thanks for the reply! The reason I brought up the T4S and T8S mixers is because I know there is a preset on the T1 mixer for DJ/Playback (Low Volume Music and High Volume Music). I didn't know if the F1 would benefit from those presets or not.

Yes, the ToneMatch Presets for (Low Volume Music and High Volume Music) work well with the F1.  You might be able to get similar results with the dbx DriveRack PA2.

I don't do any karaoke, just music playback and a wireless microphone for speeches/toasts.

Also, with the F1 stacks having a shorter height than the others, when they are on the floor with the dancers, will they block a lot of the sound? That is my main concern with the F1 system.

Thanks.

When you need more height, you can mount the F1 Model 812 systems on tripod stands. There is a pole mount in the bottom.

ST

Ok, thank you for clarifying that. I didn't know if the ToneMatch mixer was specific to just the L1 models. You mentioned the DriveRack might be able to give similar results. Does the ToneMatch just adjust EQ for those presets, or is there more to it than that?

Hi Ryan,

Here's some more information about ToneMatch Presets. Please follow the link.

ST

Hi ST,

Thank you so much for your input. I'm really not sure which route to take when it comes to buying the Bose systems. I spoke to my sales engineer at Sweetwater and he said the L1 Model II would be the way to go, since it has the 180° sound dispersion. It seems to me that the F1 system is marketed more towards mobile DJ's than the L1 system is. Either way, I would buy two systems to have stereo sound. I would also likely buy one of the ToneMatch mixers (since I already have two L1 Compacts). I would either buy the T4S or the T8S. Based on your experience with multiple systems, which one do you think would be best for a mobile DJ that does weddings and school dances?

Thanks in advance.

I would go with two L1 Model II systems. That's what I use for crowds from 100-450. Perfect for weddings... The F1's are too loud up front, especially if people are sitting right in front of the speakers. The other thing is the L1 systems are very portable... plus you can use a single one for smaller crowds! 

Thanks for your input JD. How is the bass of the B2 compared to the F1 sub? I currently already have two B2 subs. I suppose for bigger events (or school dances) I could use four of the B2 subs.

The B2 is punchier than the the F1 sub... the F1 sub hits deeper. For school dances I use my F1 system (two tops/two subs). That being said before I owned it I used two L1 Mod. II systems with four B2's with very good results.