Why poor battery life?

I don't understand why the Hearphones use so much battery while they are out of my ears.  What are they doing that uses the battery?  I'm coming from LG HBS-800 and I would charge them every 2-3 weeks.  I knew I would only get a day out of the Hearphones (I read reviews before purchasing) but I don't know WHY.  I only use them in my ears maybe 30 minutes a day, but they are still draining about 10%/hour.  I left my LG on all day as well.  These have sensors that know when they are out of my ears, so at that point they should be asleep until bluetooth wakes them or they are put back into my ears.  Can anyone tell me what is draining the battery so much when they aren't in use?

Thank you!

Bill

Hi, Bill.

Please use the Bose Hear app. There are some options to help you preserve the battery.

Tap the ≡ Menu

Tap Settings

Turn on In-Ear Detection

Set the Auto-Off Timer to whichever option suits you best

Does that help?

ST

I have the in-ear detection turned on and I don't want the headset to turn off because I don't want to have to manually power on every time I get a call or want to use them.  I simply don't understand, technically, why they use so much power when they aren't in use unless the in-ear detection somehow takes a lot of power.  I know the bluetooth standby uses very little power (all other "normal" bluetooth headsets can standby for weeks on end).  So something in this headset is using an abnormal amount of power when the headsets aren't in use (just laying idly on my neck).

Hi, Bill.

Your Bose Hearphones are either (fully) on or off. There's no standby mode (e.g., dormant waiting to be woken by Bluetooth) mode. When Hearphones are on, the active noise cancellation and World Volume features are enabled. Both of these features consume battery power while the Hearphones are powered on.

ST

I was wondering if that was the case, but if so, then why have a feature to tell whether they are in your ears?  And when I put them in my ears, they are silent and within a second or two then I hear the outside world, so it seems as though they aren't amplifying unless they are in my ears.  It seems so very strange they would leave all those features on AND have the ability to detect that they are in the ears if they don't turn those features off when you take them out of your ears.  I'll see if I can dredge up a Bose tech to explain!  

Thank you all for your replies!

Bill

Hi, Bill.

The In-Ear detection helps prevent squealing when earbuds are not firmly seated in your ear. That may be temporarily muting World Volume.  In-Ear detection is also used to enable Auto-power off if you choose that option.

ST

Ok, that makes sense.  So why not just put them to sleep when they aren't in-ear?  Wouldn't that greatly extend the battery life for those of us who only wear them at certain times and not all day?  I'm not trying to be argumentative.  I LOVE the device.  It's a game-changer for me and I appreciate the technology.  But I also know what is capable on these devices and don't know why they would be left amplifying while they aren't in-ear.  If someone could explain that it would help my brain!  😉

Bill

Hi Bill,

The In-Ear detection has to monitor (listen for) whether the earbuds are in your ears, even when they are not.  If that monitoring went to sleep, the Hearphones wouldn't know when you put them in.  That constant vigilance has got to take some power too.

I use the auto-off function. I don't mind turning the Hearphones on when a call comes in.

ST

Sounds good!  Thank you so much for your responses.  I didn't realize the in-ear detection was an auditory system and not a physical detection.  Now I do!  If you have any access to the techs for future versions, perhaps we could make a suggestion for a physical in-ear detection, like a pressure or proximity detector, that way they could sleep when not in-ear.  I'll try the powering down, but I find reaching the power-on button and pressing it for an incoming call to be kind of cumbersome since it's placed under the neckband.

Thanks again!

Bill